BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2014 7:44 am  #1

Red Beard Clue

I think the Red Beard discussion with Mycroft might be worth it's own thread for discussion:  There is this found by Wholocked

Plus the fact  he got Sherlock back on the phone just to mention it.  I think it is some sort of code from Mycroft letting Sherlock know that he needs to not let his emotions cloud his judgement.  Other ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 7, 2014 8:03 am  #2

Re: Red Beard Clue

I just found this on tumblr. Quite intriguing:

http://221books.tumblr.com/post/72491438657/conspiracy-theory-of-the-day

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 7, 2014 8:17 am  #3

Great theory!  Thanks SusiGo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 7, 2014 8:27 am  #4

Interesting theory.
And Redbeard definitely has to mean something, I guess we all can agree on that.
I just wonder: If Mary is really hiding something, if she has taken on a false identity... why does Sherlock not deduce this? Maybe because he's already too involved, maybe because he has been too involved the first moment he met her? And that in combination with the fact that he doesn't seem to be his old self when it comes to his ability to deduce things... hm. Interesting.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2014 8:34 am  #5

yes, interesting. And Redbeard does have to mean something - especially after Gatiss's tweet!

But I keep thinking that, if the whole thing was so dangerous, and also so clear and known to Mycroft and Sherlock, why the heck would they not do anything about it?

To me, it seems Sherlock has overlooked things, and this is weird. Yes, he is involved, but he is Sherlock...and ultimately, he wants to make sure John is safe, and by overlooking things he is instead ensuring pain for him... weird.

January 7, 2014 9:55 am  #6

my hunch is that sherlock knows a lot more about mary than he is letting on. its not that he is failing to deduce its that he is either refusing to deduce or has deduced and is keeping stuff from John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 7, 2014 10:01 am  #7

beekeeper wrote:

my hunch is that sherlock knows a lot more about mary than he is letting on. its not that he is failing to deduce its that he is either refusing to deduce or has deduced and is keeping stuff from John.

This... Are there any screenshots from the first ep. when he deduces her? Maybe some hidden clues in there...

January 7, 2014 10:24 am  #8

b2s wrote:

beekeeper wrote:

This... Are there any screenshots from the first ep. when he deduces her? Maybe some hidden clues in there...

I would say that there is nothing that indicates Sherlock has deduced more about Mary and keeps this from John. Why would he do that? Why would he allow his best friend to marry a woman who has secrets? Or... might that be part of a plan?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2014 10:33 am  #9

Well, there is the word "liar" popping up in his deductions about her. But to me his fondness of her seems quite convincing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 7, 2014 10:35 am  #10

SolarSystem wrote:

b2s wrote:

beekeeper wrote:

I would say that there is nothing that indicates Sherlock has deduced more about Mary and keeps this from John. Why would he do that? Why would he allow his best friend to marry a woman who has secrets? Or... might that be part of a plan?

I agree that if he knew, he wouldn't just not tell him. John would perhaps get upset, perhaps even not want to listen to him, but he would try.

No. Sherlock has made a mistake...

January 7, 2014 11:18 am  #11

Redbeard. That's the only thing Mark tweeted? TROLOLOL.

I know that name though. In the 15th century or so, there was a famous pirate in the Midterranian sea called Barba Rossa, or Redbeard. That's where Pirates got the name Barbossa from. 

It's a pirate reference!

Never believed that knowledge would ever become useful. 

I don't have twitter, but if you do, can you tweet back Barba Rossa? 

January 7, 2014 11:22 am  #12

I'll tweet it now. And I am Italian, and Barbarossa is an Italian word. TROLOLOL indeed

edit: tweeted

Last edited by Ozma (January 7, 2014 11:23 am)

January 7, 2014 11:36 am  #13

Red Beard is a Lego minifigure of a pirat. Since Mycroft talks about Sherlock's childhood, and we know, that Sherlock's original professional choice was the buccaneering business, I propose the bold theory, that something terrible happened to that minifigure 

January 7, 2014 11:38 am  #14

sherlocked wrote:

Red Beard is a Lego minifigure of a pirat. Since Mycroft talks about Sherlock's childhood, and we know, that Sherlock's original professional choice was the buccaneering business, I propose the bold theory, that something terrible happened to that minifigure

Maybe Cam stole it from him and threw it into a lake, and Sherlock never forgave himself for not having been able to save it. And then he cried all the way through his teens.

Mycroft, rolling his eyes, resigned himself to having to look after and protect his little brother forever as he is now forever traumatised.

Last edited by Ozma (January 7, 2014 11:40 am)

January 7, 2014 11:40 am  #15

As to why Mycroft says that to Sherlock, no idea. Sherlock says something along the lines of 'I'm not a child anymore'. Maybe he got attached to a toy with that name and it was taken away from him and Mycroft warns him that the same is gonna happen, but now for real? I don't think it's a plot clue. 

January 7, 2014 11:41 am  #16

oh, I think it very much is, otherwise Gatiss wouldn't have tweeted it.

January 7, 2014 11:43 am  #17

ozma. lol! Maybe CAM holds that minifigure hostage and blackmails Sherlock. He sure had a lot of creepy toys in his room... and a clown mask to boot...

January 7, 2014 11:52 am  #18

yes. And this explains why Sherlock is so mad at him.

When Sherlock gets into one of his moods, it's because he thinks of his toy.

trollooolol

January 7, 2014 12:00 pm  #19

Barbarossa is also the code name for germany's invasion of the Soviet Union during WWII.

January 7, 2014 12:01 pm  #20

What intrigues me is that when Mycroft mentions Redbeard Sherlock doesn't get annoyed, he gets visibly upset. It might be something small-ish like a toy but it certainly left a mark on him. 

Board footera