BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2012 12:37 am  #1

I've been expecting this for some time

Sherlock says this when they're standing in Mrs Hudson's empty flat looking at the trainers, but what does he mean exactly?

Does he already know even at that early stage, that Moriarty is behind it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 31, 2012 6:08 am  #2

Re: I've been expecting this for some time

Prosaibly. The cabbie in Study in Pink, his involvement in The Blind Banker (which Sherlock may have discovered) will have hinted at it. It is an odd comment for Sherlock to make otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 31, 2012 7:33 am  #3

The cabbie revealed that there was a Sherlock "fan" behind his killing people who wasn’t just a fan – probably a brilliant thinker as well - but someone of such criminal energy that he would pay him for doing so.

The conversation between Sherlock and John at the end

JOHN: What are you so happy (!!) about?
SHERLOCK: Moriarty.
JOHN: What’s Moriarty?
SHERLOCK: Absolutely no idea.

points out that Sherlock is going to find out who Moriarty is. As he seems to be a fan Sherlock would expect that Moriarty will try to make contact with him – that’s what fans do, don’t they?
At 221C that moment seems to have come because there is an interesting puzzle by someone who is still anonymous to Sherlock but is carrying the signature of someone resourceful and criminal. "Moriarty" must instantly spring to Sherlock’s mind making him expect that there might possibly be the imminent solution to the question he’s been carrying along with him since the cabbie case.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 31, 2012 8:20 am  #4

Is he referring to Moriarty in that sentence or to the Carl Powers case coming back into his life? I can't remember now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 31, 2012 9:17 am  #5

I got the impression he didn't realise it was to do with Carl Powers till they were examining the shoes in the lab.

March 31, 2012 10:12 am  #6

I think I have, with the help of this laptop, invented a new word...prosaibly... I like it! That's a cross between possibly and probably.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 31, 2012 10:26 am  #7

I like it!

Also...why didn't Sherlock mention to John that he thought it was Moriarty? Later on, John asks "do you think it's Moriarty?" and Sherlock just says "possibly".

May 20, 2012 3:26 am  #8

Moriarty was the one who killed Carl Powers,  only Sherlock and the police didn't realize it till the end of THIS GREAT GAME episode. (which was also 20 years too late)   That's the impression I got.   in  Study in Pink, (Or Scarlett)  That's when Holmes first heard the name Moriarty.   The Blind Banker--Nope,  I  don't think Sherlock knew Moriarty was behind the china thing,  but WE   the audience did,  based on the conversation  between Shan  and M_  on  the computer.   

Sherlock thinks too fast,  and that's probly why he didn't suggest to John that he thought it was Moriarty.  I  suspect he didn't want to worry John.  Either that,  or he thought it was clutter.  (brainwise,  I mean)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 26, 2012 10:07 am  #9

Right before he says "I've been expecting this for some time", he mutters something else under his breath and John says "what", Sherlock replied "nothing" and John says "no, what did you mean?" And that's when he says the "I've been expecting this" line, but I can't for the life of me work out that tiny bit that he says, I keep listening again and again, lol.

Can anyone else hear what it is?

Also, how did Moriarty (or more likely whoever was working for him) get the trainers into the flat in the first place?

May 26, 2012 10:14 am  #10

Boss, I think he says "the curtain rises". At least, that's what I remember the subtitles saying. If you're referring to what I think you're referring, that was it. I'll check on the DVDs later, if have a little time.

I remember that because I couldn't understand it either...

Last edited by Irene_Adler (May 26, 2012 10:14 am)

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

October 5, 2012 7:44 pm  #11

Yes, Sherlock knows there is  master criminal.  He knows this is the start of their combat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera