BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2014 6:13 pm  #1

The "new" Sherlock - emotions and all that

So I thought we could do with a thread regarding Sherlock's emotional development in this episode and of course in connection with TEH. 
As much as I love seeing his more human and vulnerable side I wonder how much good it will do him. Just look at the dance at the wedding. The "old" Sherlock would probably have shrugged it off and gone home alone relieved (provided he had shown up at all). But now he can feel this or allows himself to feel it. 
Another point: What do you make of his slowed-down deductions and intellect? I mean he is still brilliant but to me it seems it takes more effort to make this work than before. Did he always rely on Mycroft as a sort of inner advisor/judge/consultant or is this something new or a step back into childhood? Or is it caused by what happened during the hiatus?
Looking forward to discussing all this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 6:19 pm  #2

Re: The "new" Sherlock - emotions and all that

I think part of the problem is that people either don't realize how much Sherlock has changed or that they just don't know what to do with a Sherlock who has emotions.  For example, even though he taught John to dance, I'm betting John doesn't know he "loves it."  John would there for not expect Sherlock to have his feelings hurt if he has no one to dance with. 

I think the slower deduction time is an after effect of the hiatus.  There may be some lagging while Shelock completely processes what he went through and learns how to handle himself now that emotions are involved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 6, 2014 6:22 pm  #3

I'm actually worried about Sherlock's mental and emotional state ever since the TEH aired and what has happened this episode. Has anyone been noticing he has been having trouble in his deductions? I mean he can observe people but when he goes inside his mind palace, he looks like he is in pain. 

He actually looks like he is about to snap or breakdown. I don't know. At first, this shift in Sherlock's character has been jarring, but maybe that is what the writers wanted. Something doesn't feel right with Sherlock. Something just doesn't add up. 

I really want to know what happened between TRF and TEH..

January 6, 2014 6:28 pm  #4

In terms of emotions... today I suddenly thought: what if we will see a slightly changed Sherlock in HLV once again, a Sherlock that tries to distance himself from emotions again? Because he realized in TSoT that emotions can cause a lot of pain, because he still seems to be the odd one out, even though he tried to do emotions? Maybe we will see a Sherlock in HLV that reminds us more of the Sherlock from the first two series again?
I think it is kind of tragic: he tries to be more emotional, he tries to bond with other people - but in the end he's alone. I wonder what he will make of this. I'm not sure he can live with it, so maybe he will come to the conclusion that 'doing emotions' has been a failed 'experiment'...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 6, 2014 6:32 pm  #5

SolarSystem wrote:

In terms of emotions... today I suddenly thought: what if we will see a slightly changed Sherlock in HLV once again, a Sherlock that tries to distance himself from emotions again? Because he realized in TSoT that emotions can cause a lot of pain, because he still seems to be the odd one out, even though he tried to do emotions? Maybe we will see a Sherlock in HLV that reminds us more of the Sherlock from the first two series again?
I think it is kind of tragic: he tries to be more emotional, he tries to bond with other people - but in the end he's alone. I wonder what he will make of this. I'm not sure he can live with it, so maybe he will come to the conclusion that 'doing emotions' has been a failed 'experiment'...?

That would be incredibly tragic ...I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Sherlock tries to distance himself from emotions, more obviously like in the earlier series...but really, I don't think it'll work. So, I could see HLV being Sherlock trying to return to his previous state before all that happened, and eventually realizing he is unable to fully. Sherlock, in some way, has opened those floodgates that he has kept closed...I doubt even Sherlock could ever close them fully again.

-------------------------------------------------------

January 6, 2014 6:39 pm  #6

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

I'm actually worried about Sherlock's mental and emotional state ever since the TEH aired and what has happened this episode. Has anyone been noticing he has been having trouble in his deductions? I mean he can observe people but when he goes inside his mind palace, he looks like he is in pain. 

He actually looks like he is about to snap or breakdown. I don't know. At first, this shift in Sherlock's character has been jarring, but maybe that is what the writers wanted. Something doesn't feel right with Sherlock. Something just doesn't add up. 

You have a point there. These are two different things - the new emotional side which is fine for me and the slips and weaknesses regarding his mental acuity that are somehow disturbing. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 6:46 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

You have a point there. These are two different things - the new emotional side which is fine for me and the slips and weaknesses regarding his mental acuity that are somehow disturbing. 

In some ways, it feels like they're indeed setting us up for something terrible to happen...maybe Sherlock's newfound connection with his emotions will somehow cause something to happen, either he'll make a mistake or do something emotional that'll result in something. For someone like Sherlock, who had kept a close reign on his emotions for years, to suddenly be pretty much blind sided with unexpected events and reactions that inevitably led to him letting himself really feel (how could the events of after TRF, TEH and TSoT and whatever happened inbetween...how could he not be different?) ...I think Sherlock would show some signs of instability. What he did before, is a form of repression afterall, and from a psychological point of view, once the walls of repression begin to crack...people can exhibit some instability at least, among other things. It can't be easy for Sherlock to admit to and realize that emotions are becoming more predominant in his concious mind, his being is in a sense rearranging itself.

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (January 6, 2014 6:48 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

January 6, 2014 6:53 pm  #8

Very good and to the point, Silver. 

January 6, 2014 6:58 pm  #9

I'm worried about Sherlock's emotional/mental state. He had to literally hit himself to get "Mycroft" out of his head. In TEH he was hearing voices (not in the nice-memories way that John was). I think his two-year holiday is taking his toll. 

January 6, 2014 7:03 pm  #10

Yes, that hitting himself thing was very strange. There are many signs that something is not right. 
When they are standing in front of Sholto's locked door the fingers of his right hand are jerking. It may be a gesture of impatience but I am not quite sure. Knowing Benedict's acting every small detail is well planned and not without purpose. 

January 6, 2014 7:14 pm  #11

I don't know, I've always thought that before meeting John, Mycroft was Sherlock's only point of reference and that he heard Mycroft's voice when he was in his mind palace. Maybe Mycroft reappears in his thoughts during those two years away? Anyway, I find it really interesting that he slaps himself to get Mycroft out of his mind (when he just has to tell Irene off for her to disappear) and says "Not you! (talking about mycroft) You, John Watson. You keep me right" (or something like that, i don't remember)

Just like old times...

January 6, 2014 7:15 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, that hitting himself thing was very strange. There are many signs that something is not right. 
When they are standing in front of Sholto's locked door the fingers of his right hand are jerking. It may be a gesture of impatience but I am not quite sure. Knowing Benedict's acting every small detail is well planned and not without purpose. 

Very interesting thread, Susi!

I agree about something not being right, and just like you, I don't think that anything we saw was a coincidence. The slapping of the face in particular was worrisome, I've already begun writing a small fic on that matter because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

We've discussed the beating in TEH in another thread, and I'd just like to say that I think Sherlock hasn't entirely processed what has happened to him (in that regard, I found it very interesting that John said to Major Sholto "therapy helps a lot" but we don't know whether he's even once asked Sherlock what he did during those two years. Probably not surprising though, since he appeared outwardly unscathed). Supposedly, judging from the length of Sherlock's hair when he's caught, the events of the minisode seem to take place before Serbia, and who knows how much time he spent there. Maybe he's not even been caught for the first time. Altogether, I think the hiatus on the whole was a somewhat gruesome experience for Sherlock, and it's impossible that he's not changed.

I'm also curious whether the change we've seen in him so far is permanent, but it seems that he, John and Mary have an understanding.
I am very afraid of what might happen in HLV, it can't be good from all one hears and sees. And maybe, since Sherlock is unstable (and apparently scared or at least intimidated by CAM, judging from the trailer), he will resolve to using drugs again, which might explain some of the setlock.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

January 6, 2014 7:27 pm  #13

Kerkerian wrote:

Supposedly, judging from the length of Sherlock's hair when he's caught, the events of the minisode seem to take place before Serbia,

Correct me if I got something entirely wrong, but I thought the events of the minisode take place even before TRF...?!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 6, 2014 7:32 pm  #14

SolarSystem wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

Supposedly, judging from the length of Sherlock's hair when he's caught, the events of the minisode seem to take place before Serbia,

Correct me if I got something entirely wrong, but I thought the events of the minisode take place even before TRF...?!

Er- they take place before TEH, I assume that's what you meant?
In the minisode, which definitely takes place between TRF and TEH, Sherlock (or rather, what we see of him), looks pristine and his respective environments are nothing like Serbia. Therefore, it must be before he's caught there.

I also forgot to mention something:
I don't think his deductions are generally slower than usual, but in the scene where he tries to find the Mayfly Man, he is simultaneously trying to keep up his speech and deduce every single person in the room in order to find out who'd be the target, and all the while, he consults with Mycroft in his Mind Palace. That must be hard.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

January 6, 2014 7:35 pm  #15

Kerkerian wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

Er- they take place before TEH, I assume that's what you meant?
In the minisode, which definitely takes place between TRF and TEH, Sherlock (or rather, what we see of him), looks pristine and his respective environments are nothing like Serbia. Therefore, it must be before he's caught there.

So what minisode are we talking about...? I only know the one we got at Christmas, is there another one...?

January 6, 2014 7:38 pm  #16

The minisode itself takes place after TRF. The video IN the minisode is from before, of course.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2014 7:40 pm  #17

Mattlocked wrote:

The minisode itself takes place after TRF. The video IN the minisode is from before, of course.

...and that's what I meant. Thanks for being far more articulate than I am right now.

January 6, 2014 7:50 pm  #18

Kerkerian wrote:

I also forgot to mention something:
I don't think his deductions are generally slower than usual, but in the scene where he tries to find the Mayfly Man, he is simultaneously trying to keep up his speech and deduce every single person in the room in order to find out who'd be the target, and all the while, he consults with Mycroft in his Mind Palace. That must be hard.

I agree with you here. Therefore the speech was a bit .... out of control, too. Talking about John cooking...peas, singing...
But still I also think that something might be wrong. I noticed at first when he was inside his mind palace while being in the train with John. He really looked almost as if it hurts. (Although I'm not sure if this was already acting for John.)
And the Mycroft thing. Mycroft said on the phone something like: "So we will see each other more often, just like before."
Before John or after The Fall or both. But Sherlock wants the encouragement from John, not from Mycroft; therefore he tries to get rid of Mycroft again and back to John. Which seems to be hard, obviously.

Just watched it a third time and I think I will have to watch it again and again just until someone will run after Sherlock when he's leaving the wedding.....
And again I remember Mrs. Hudson at the beginning talking about her friend leaving her wedding early. *sob*

January 6, 2014 8:06 pm  #19

Now when I listen again closely to the things Mrs. Hudson tells Sherlock at the beginning of the episode I'm quite sure I know why he's so rude to her then..... He's afraid she might tell the truth and doesn't want to listen.

January 6, 2014 8:09 pm  #20

I think, and I will never get tired to repeat this - Sherlock's change has A LOT, if not all, to do with John's new situation and Mary.

I am still not very sure why Sherlock has been so accepting to her - had it been earlier he would have made it more difficult, if not when he was still trying to get John to forgive him, for sure after that - with her, it's like he's trying to please her or be liked by her. When Mary pushes John to take Sherlock out on a case and John asks him, Sherlock almost says no and looks shocked, as if it's an incredulous thing to do. Can you imagine, before, in the past seasons? He would have dragged John out without a second thought!

Sherlock had found a soulmate in John and someone who he could really trust - something that had never happened before in his life I am assuming - he therefore has lowered his defensive walls, and now though this has been taken away - in a way or another, it has. It's just like Mycroft says - he wasn't just taunting him.  So Sherlock is unstable, feels he is missing something, something which he maybe can't even pinpoint; and this is why he is sad at the end, when he leaves the wedding - not because of the bridesmaid, at all, but because he realises he has indeed lost what was so important in his life before (as it was, he has surely lost John. The empty chair is such a powerful metaphor).

This said, Sherlock has definitely made a mistake...and I think his mistake is that he hasn't deduced Mary correctly, and this will make him, and therefore John, unprepared for what will happen...

Board footera