BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2014 10:04 pm  #21

Re: Say to The Guardian that Sherlock hasn't jumped the shark!!

I had to look it up. Learning new vocabulary, made me happy
I think it means something like a turning point, when something bound for success stops being successful and brilliant and gets boring and predictable and not-good? Did I get that right?
Actually, I think it could happen to Sherlock at some point, maybe even sooner than later. But it definitely hasn't yet, imo.

"It is what it is."

January 6, 2014 10:05 pm  #22

@Sherlock Holmes: I have no idea what it means either, although that's not too surprising!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

January 6, 2014 10:06 pm  #23

It is from American media. It describes the point when a series has reached its peak and viewers start to lose interest. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 10:16 pm  #24

"Jumping the shark" is when a TV show deviates from its original spirit and start featuring ridiculous story lines.

The term was conned after the American sitcom "Happy Days" showed an episode where Fonzzie (one of the main characters) went to the beach and literally jumped a shark while water skiing (wearing a leather jacket). It was said to be the beginning of a series of bad episodes that led to the end of show.

January 6, 2014 10:27 pm  #25

Mary Me wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Lovely review but as the writer of the blog points out, Andrew Billen obviously didn't understand The Bloody Guardsman plot. 
Which bothers me only a little when I think that other people use that sort of misunderstanding to justify their bad reviews.

You are right. ​
Although it is quite obvious why he chose the guardsman: He wears a uniform belt. He must stand still during his watch. He must endure people taking photographs. Ideal target, I would say. And no connection to the murderer either. 

Yeah. Until now I haven't found any plot holes but then I haven't been actively looking for them either.

The reviewer is specifically referencing the fact that you can see Bainbridge's clothing on the floor in the shower cubicle and he's wondering why the man would have gone into the shower clothed.

I just figured it was one of those gym-style showers that has a section at the entrance for clothing/belongings and the fact that he slumped against the door doesn't mean that the shower itself was in that space.

That said, if the only criticism you have of the episode is clothing on the floor then they're doing well

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 7, 2014 5:21 am  #26

Mattlocked wrote:

"I doubt if I have ever seen drunkenness — the battle between sleep, hilarity and propriety — so well done."
This. I admit I was a bit afraid when they started. But it was never overdone or ridiculous. As I've seen it from time to time. Just realistic and funny.

I absolutely agree, they did this brilliantly. There are quite a few actors out there who wouldn't haven been able to pull this off the way Martin and Benedict did. But I enjoyed every second of it and never had the feeling they overdid it.
I especially loved them waking up in the prison cell the next morning. When Sherlock tries to get up and then immediately has to sit down again, and then how he's trying not to lose his balance... great stuff!

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 7, 2014 5:23 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2014 5:25 am  #27

SolarSystem wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

"I doubt if I have ever seen drunkenness — the battle between sleep, hilarity and propriety — so well done."
This. I admit I was a bit afraid when they started. But it was never overdone or ridiculous. As I've seen it from time to time. Just realistic and funny.

I absolutely agree, they did this brilliantly. There are quite a few actors out there who wouldn't haven been able to pull this off the way Martin and Benedict did. But I enjoyed every second of it and never had the feeling they overdid it.

I don't know if it's just me, but I could so imagine Benedict and Martin doing this scene rather than Sherlock and John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 7, 2014 5:33 am  #28

tobeornot221b wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

I don't know if it's just me, but I could so imagine Benedict and Martin doing this scene rather than Sherlock and John.

No, it's not just you...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2014 2:26 pm  #29

It's not really up to any poll to decide whether said marine animal has indeed been jumped. Falling ratings are the only thing that can tell them that. The sampling of these kinds of pools is terrible, no randomisation at all, attrackting only the people who either love or hate it. The only thing it measures is how well connected either group is in social media. And even for that it's a terrible measuring instrument. 

Sorry, trained as a scientist. 

January 7, 2014 2:47 pm  #30

silverblaze wrote:

It's not really up to any poll to decide whether said marine animal has indeed been jumped. Falling ratings are the only thing that can tell them that. The sampling of these kinds of pools is terrible, no randomisation at all, attrackting only the people who either love or hate it. The only thing it measures is how well connected either group is in social media. And even for that it's a terrible measuring instrument. 

Sorry, trained as a scientist. 

Statistics, damn statistics and lies, right?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 7, 2014 3:35 pm  #31

sj4iy wrote:

Statistics, damn statistics and lies, right?

Hahaha . Well, they're also a path to truth. Or we would believe every silly opinion poll. There's even a test for publication bias, that involves sample size, average outcome and an assumption of normal distribu.... don't get me started on statistics. 

January 7, 2014 3:41 pm  #32

Swanpride wrote:

Actually, said marine animal doesn't jump at all, the show jumps over it....

Ha, grammar police, it it payback time?  I said 'has been jumped', passive tense. The animal doesn't do the jumping, or it'd be 'has jumped'.

How to explain. I'm not sure how to say that in German, don't you use 'werden' for that? 'Es ist gesprungen werden' or something? I told you my German is ridiculous. 

January 7, 2014 7:43 pm  #33

Swanpride wrote:

Actually, I didn't notice that the post was originally from you and just overread the "been"...

"Es ist übersprungen worden" or "Es wurde übersprungen.", but in this case, a German would most likely revert to the active form: "Etwas drüber gesprungen ist"

"Werden" is used for future actions.

german grammar....i didn't see that sort of thing since I left high school and my little notion of this language behind (I was so bad at it)

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

January 7, 2014 8:00 pm  #34

Worden, werden, similar things, it's been a while for me since I last used German, thanks for reminding. Pity you lose language so quickly if you don't use it. Passive tense is also awkward in this English sentence, (not even counting the double entendre) I was just using it for comic effect. 

January 8, 2014 5:29 am  #35

The Guardian is on CRACK. Awesome episode. 

January 8, 2014 7:42 am  #36

The Guardian is always on crack. You have to be when you are a left-wing paper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 8, 2014 12:38 pm  #37

Ded of Geek pretty much nailed my opinion.

Sherlock, shark-jumping, and the casual viewer
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sherlock/231946/sherlock-shark-jumping-and-the-casual-viewer

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 8, 2014 1:23 pm  #38

tonnaree wrote:

Ded of Geek pretty much nailed my opinion.

Sherlock, shark-jumping, and the casual viewer
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sherlock/231946/sherlock-shark-jumping-and-the-casual-viewer

Agreed!

But the Guardian is not that left wing, is it? More like centre left perhaps. 

January 8, 2014 2:36 pm  #39

I loved the episode, I can understand why someone who watches Sherlock for the mistery and the cases might be dissapointed, but no way has the show "jumped the shark".

The episode was about the characters and not the crime, that seems to be the reason why some people hated it, but considering how much time has passed in the show and how quickly things are moving I think it was necessary to show how all the changes are affecting the characters, specially Sherlock, who is having a hard time adjusting to the new situation.

January 8, 2014 2:41 pm  #40

I think that there was more crime than in the first epside. A crime that remains a mystery at first and some curious incidents that seem boring suddenly become connected when a murderer plans to kill his victim....at a wedding. Seems like a good old fashioned crime to me so I don't see why "crime fans" should be disappointed.

Last edited by Mary Me (January 8, 2014 2:42 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera