BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2014 9:23 pm  #41

Re: Moments I disliked...

Mattlocked wrote:

CarlPowers wrote:

That said,  I also don't really need to see another episode like this one again.  I enjoyed it immensely
*and* was frustrated,  in equal parts. I long for a good case,  and our solitary Sherlock back,
with perfectly articulated unspoken deep regard for John.  I'd love more of the crackling chemistry
between the characters, but with no further need to spell things out.   I'd like them to *show* what
happens in the face of danger, and not explain it anymore.

Yes. Right. Thumbs up.

thanks Mattlocked.    Which is why I adored the ending,   moving on,
from what came before...    whipping his
coat around him,   stalking out on his own.    Just the perfect
tone.    Any other ending would have bordered on sappy.   Back to business I hope!

Last edited by CarlPowers (January 6, 2014 9:23 pm)

January 6, 2014 9:30 pm  #42

Right. And that's why I don't want Johnlock on screen.
Although the ending made me very sad. But it is the right one, I agree.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2014 9:34 pm  #43

I found this to be a nice 'edge' episode.  Enjoyable, but with no desire at all for a repeat viewing.
(Just like I would never want to repeat the experience or emotions of a good friend's wedding.)
I want to move on.

January 6, 2014 9:38 pm  #44

I want to watch it many times 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 6, 2014 9:41 pm  #45

kittykat wrote:

I want to watch it many times 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 6, 2014 9:45 pm  #46

Me too. But I don't need another one like this. It's enough to watch the current one ten times more. LOL

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2014 9:53 pm  #47

You have a point there. I will watch it again and again. And the next episode might be very different. Maybe more different than we would care for. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 10:13 pm  #48

Everyone has their favoriites.  For me TBB is still the one I've watched the least.

The only canon story I've ever read was The Speckled Band and that was for a school assignment.  Never had any desire to read more.

However I have to admit watching this Sherlock has made me more interested in the original works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 6, 2014 10:49 pm  #49

Jacco111 wrote:

You people should know your Canon better.

It's possible to express a differing opinion without being deliberately antagonistic

Re: Harry. John has a conversation with someone, possibly Mary, early at the reception saying that he did invite her but she didn't show. Then he commented that she and an open bar may not have been a good combo

Also, I could have lived without the vomiting whilst drunk. Also, why did they take a case when they were so inebriated? Surely she could have waiting until the morning? Seemed unrealistic. And for her not to realise they were drunk and insist on waiting herself seemed odd as well.

One of the reviews suggested Sherlock was played as a 'first time drunk' which isn't the read I got either, particularly with him attempting to keep them at a fuzzy happy level all night. It was John introducing shots into the beer that screwed them over.

Last edited by Wholocked (January 6, 2014 10:51 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 7, 2014 12:44 am  #50

One very minor quibble-- I think sometimes the writers take a patchwork/cut/paste approach to writing Sherlock's character, in particular. It's like they're going, "okay, let's have sociopathic Sherlock here, " and then for another scene, "Okay, we want him to be funny and bittersweet, here." Reminds me of Joss Whedon's writers approach to character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 

January 7, 2014 5:44 am  #51

Mattlocked wrote:

Me too. But I don't need another one like this. It's enough to watch the current one ten times more. LOL

Same here. It's absolutely fine to have an unusual episode like this one among all other episodes (and TEH wasn't all that usual, either), but I really hope they'll give us more of the atmosphere and tone we know from Series 1 & 2 in HLV.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2014 5:51 am  #52

Yes, they will be moving on - I'm sure!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 7, 2014 10:12 am  #53

Well, watched it again yesterday, a few scenes even more than just once , and I came to the conclusion, that the only scenes I don't really need are at the beginning. Yeah, it's funny, this emergency call of Sherlock, but a shorter version, no xxx months earlier, would have done it too.

And as already mentioned I love this episode very much. But I agree with the opinion that one episode of this kind is enough for the show.

Last edited by gently69 (January 7, 2014 10:13 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2014 12:21 pm  #54

I really liked the change of tone. After seven exciting mystery/thriller/horror episodes they can afford to do something different. Deepen the characters a bit, have fun with dialogues. It's not gonna stay that way, HLV is gonna be dark. Actually, I think they really had to do something like this or it would become repetitive. 

And is it just me or are the writers really showing off in this episode? The witty dialogues, the darker subtext, emotional without cheesiness. 

Ok, this is supposed to be a thread about things we didn't like. I'm failing at that. 

January 7, 2014 12:36 pm  #55

silverblaze wrote:

I really liked the change of tone. After seven exciting mystery/thriller/horror episodes they can afford to do something different. Deepen the characters a bit, have fun with dialogues. It's not gonna stay that way, HLV is gonna be dark. Actually, I think they really had to do something like this or it would become repetitive. 

And is it just me or are the writers really showing off in this episode? The witty dialogues, the darker subtext, emotional without cheesiness. 

Ok, this is supposed to be a thread about things we didn't like. I'm failing at that. 

Right! I think the only thing I don't like about this episode is that I can't decide what I like more- the writing or the acting .

The Game is On!

January 7, 2014 12:56 pm  #56

Marva wrote:

Right! I think the only thing I don't like about this episode is that I can't decide what I like more- the writing or the acting .

Agreed! I'm a writer and tend to attribute everything to the writers, but the acting was sublime of course, as always. 

Here we are, in a thread about things we didn't like, talking about what we love about it. Maybe this episode was just good? 

January 8, 2014 1:57 am  #57

Well, the one thing about this episode that really irks me is when, after drinking the tea when John comes to visit him and ask him to be best man, the camera then shows us the eyeball swimming in the cup.  We'd already seen Sherlock holding the eyeball, then accidentally dropping it into the mug.  I thought showing the close-up was a cheap effect done for laughs, and it was not at all necessary for viewers to see the eyeball again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 8, 2014 5:08 am  #58

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Well, the one thing about this episode that really irks me is when, after drinking the tea when John comes to visit him and ask him to be best man, the camera then shows us the eyeball swimming in the cup.  We'd already seen Sherlock holding the eyeball, then accidentally dropping it into the mug.  I thought showing the close-up was a cheap effect done for laughs, and it was not at all necessary for viewers to see the eyeball again.

He drops it very absentmindedly in the tea, it's pretty easy to miss if you are looking at a different part of the screen.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 8, 2014 7:38 am  #59

SusiGo wrote:

Jacco111 wrote:

You people should know your Canon better.

So canon is a course of lectures? Silly me, and I thought ACD wanted to entertain his readers with intelligent fiction. 

I have to say I am a bit disappointed. I made an obvious quote (yes, the lecture one) and none of you seemed to recognise it. Then I said that you should know your Canon better, and still nobody got it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 8, 2014 7:58 am  #60

I'm a fan of the series. And watch it because I love the way it is. To be honest I don't know the canon very well because I read ACD ages ago and only can remember a few things. But even then I'm not the type to analyse everything, so... I just enjoy the show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera