BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2012 10:46 am  #1

Buying panics

Is anyone else in the UK off to buy panics? Apparently it's the new craze, government sponsored and all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 30, 2012 10:48 am  #2

Re: Buying panics

Excuse me if it's a silly question, but what are "panics"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2012 11:04 am  #3

The UK government (In their infinite wisdom), stated that there may be a strike by oil tankers shortly which caused the masses to go out and buy up all the petrol, raising prices rather abruptly.

The new 'ridunkulous' petrol and diesel prices then caused the media to talk about the price of distribution which then caused mass buying of staple products meaning that casual shoppers may miss out on essentials such as eggs, rice or sugar.

All of this happened within 48 hours and the world still won't end.

That's what I think Davina was referring to with "panics".

Sort of like Y2K, man that was a lot of conspiracy oh-dearists looking foolish.

I'm still awaiting their apologies about the whole thing.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

March 30, 2012 11:28 am  #4

We did our panic buying ages ago...as soon as it was first mentioned on the news and before anyone else. We just filled up our tank...yesterday when we were out everyone was queueing for ages at all the petrol stations, so glad we got in nice and early.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 30, 2012 11:35 am  #5

Ok, thanks for the explanation 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2012 12:43 pm  #6

Ah that explains a twitter convo between Amanda Abbington and Sue Vertue yesterday about stocking up on petrol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 31, 2012 10:27 am  #7

The tanker drivers may go on strike but if they were it would not be fore at least 10 days. Then a government minister suggested that people should stock up on fuel in jerry cans and the like. The result was a mass of panic buying. Many fuel station round our way had run our of petrol entirely and some were limiting how many litres you could buy, 20 or 30. The government made a fortune in 24 hours on duty, although this would have been gained over a longer period, normally. To give you an idea of prices here diesel is about £1.46 a litre with petrol about 7 pence cheaper.

The union Unite has said that whatever happens their members will not be striking over Easter, so I guess anyone who has filled up will have run out again by then anyway.

COBRA held a special meeting yesterday and the Army are being trained to be able to take over deliveries, I assume these would be to essential services.

It's all known as 'panic buying' hence the play on words 'buying panics'.

I thought it was particularly sad when I heard one young lady who words at one of local garages explaining that had had a delivery of fuel but that it had all gone in 4 hours. Then she had 'customers' who couldn't get any fuel swearing at her!

Personally, I think they've lost their marbles!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 31, 2012 10:30 am  #8

Oh and forgot to add that some poor lady suffered 40% burns yesterday when the fuel she was decanting into various containers, in her kitchen, ignited! Now fire chiefs want the government to issue a warning to people against such practices, although I would have thought the news coverage of is would have been enough.

March 31, 2012 10:35 am  #9

People do go a bit over the top.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 2, 2012 12:46 am  #10

For future reference all: decanting fuel in your kitchen whilst cooking dinner is NOT a good idea!

Board footera