BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 11:08 pm  #1

Second, Third, Fourth, Etc. Reactions

I thought a new thread to discuss reactions subsequent to the first viewing would be a good idea so as not to mix our thoughts in with the First Reactions thread.

I just watched TEH again with KeepersPrice.  (So much fun to see it with another board member!)  This was my second viewing and I liked it much, much better this time.  Having a fellow fan sitting next to me, with whom I could diessect and analyze what was happening on screen, was really helpful.  Halfway through, we started watching it with the subtitles on and that really helped my comprehension as the dialog frequently went by too quickly and the accents weren't always easy for me to understand.

Anyway, I now have a much clearer understanding of the timeline of events as they occurred in this episode and of what was really happening and what was fantasy.  I still don't like all the blurry snippets in scenes and I wish less of the episode was filmed in the dark.  But some of the things I didn't like the first time around don't bother me at all or not nearly as much the second time.  The whole bomb scene at the end, for example, and Sherlock's behavior during that incident: I no longer think he was out of character there.  Also, I was able to pick up on little details that I missed the first time, many of which I was on the lookout for thanks to comments in this forum (thanks, everyone!).

And I've changed my mind about the nods to fandom: I appreciate them much more now and am not bothered by them.  I now actually think presenting the three theories as to how Sherlock survived the fall is a great idea: They playfully acknowledge the fans' theories yet never specify if any of them are actually correct.  When John asks Sherlock if he's going to tell him, and Sherlock avoids answering, I think that's Moftiss telling the audience we're not ever going to find out either.  Which can be seen as a cop out but maybe they are salting the episodes with clues and the big reveal will be in the third episode. 

But I need to watch TEH yet again as I know I'll glean even more from additional viewings. 

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (January 4, 2014 11:10 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 4, 2014 11:14 pm  #2

Re: Second, Third, Fourth, Etc. Reactions

I had the same experience, Sherli. It gets better with every viewing. I have written about my thoughts in some of the other threads and I think that many people who has doubts after watching it for the first time will feel the same provided they watch it more than once. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2014 11:18 pm  #3

I also think that it just keeps getting better if you watch it more often. I'm watching it now for... the sixth time? It it wasn't until now that I freak out about some silly things. I'm happy. I wasn't yesterday because everything felt so strange and somewhat disappointing but that has changed now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 4, 2014 11:37 pm  #4

Definitely worth multiple viewings 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 4, 2014 11:42 pm  #5

My first viewing was a live-stream that kept cutting out so I knew I had to watch it again just to get all the parts I missed.  But even then I liked the episode and I can say at this point, this is probably my fourth favourite episode.  Can't wait to get the blu-ray and watch it over and over.

John:  So you scratch their backs...
Sherlock:  Yes, and I disinfect myself.

January 5, 2014 12:08 am  #6

I'm going to have to opt for the complete opposite here and say that I dislike it more every time I watch it....

EDIT: I've only watched it twice...but I really don't want to watch it again....

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (January 5, 2014 12:11 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2014 12:13 am  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I'm going to have to opt for the complete opposite here and say that I dislike it more every time I watch it....

And why is that?  Do you dislike the entire episode or just certain parts of it?  Also, how many times have you watched it?  I wonder if there comes a point when one has seen it too many times.  Heresy, I know!  But maybe one needs to let it sit and percolate between multiple viewings???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 12:16 am  #8

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

And why is that?  Do you dislike the entire episode or just certain parts of it?  Also, how many times have you watched it?  I wonder if there comes a point when one has seen it too many times.  Heresy, I know!  But maybe one needs to let it sit and percolate between multiple viewings???

I've only seen it twice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 12:17 am  #9

Oh God...

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 5, 2014 12:23 am  #10

I mean, chances are I probably will watch it a few times but there was just so much about it I wasn't keen on.

1. Weak case storyline
2. Too many moments played for comedic effect
3. Too many fandom references
4. Bad editing/scene placement
5. Lack of decent explanation of TRF in favour of ambuiguity

January 5, 2014 12:29 am  #11

I must be one of the few who honestly has no issues with it! 

January 5, 2014 12:41 am  #12

kittykat wrote:

I don't have any issues with it either . And as I've said, the world would be a boring place if we all had the same way of looking at things, tastes and opinions. 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (January 5, 2014 12:42 am)

-------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 12:47 am  #13

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

kittykat wrote:

I don't have any issues with it either . And as I've said, the world would be a boring place if we all had the same way of looking at things, tastes and opinions. 

*Lestrade bear hug*

Yeah, that's gonna be a thing now ^^

January 5, 2014 12:48 am  #14

There were plenty of things I DID like about the episode though. I'm afraid my last post probably came across as super negative. It's not like I hated it or anything.

January 5, 2014 12:51 am  #15

kittykat wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

kittykat wrote:

*Lestrade bear hug*

Yeah, that's gonna be a thing now ^^

Lestrade bear hug = best hug ever! 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 1:17 am  #16

Understandable to be disappointed.     It took me over a year to
watch THB a 2nd time,  to even begin to think it deserved
to be in the same series as the other episodes..     my thoughts:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I mean, chances are I probably will watch it a few times but there was just so much about it I wasn't keen on.

1. Weak case storyline

so what else is new.

2. Too many moments played for comedic effect

after that long wait?   I felt it was just the right amount,
for a first episode.    Though I hope it doesn't continue at that pace.

3. Too many fandom references

just enough for me,  and clever.  Though I hope it doesn't continue at that pace.

4. Bad editing/scene placement

loved the editing in the opening sequence.   and the end.   But
it did suffer from not as brilliant direction we were used to.

5. Lack of decent explanation of TRF in favour of ambuiguity

that's true!    Though I don't really mind.    The canon didn't dwell
on details of the improbable escape either.   I can see where they'd  just rather move the story on.

January 5, 2014 1:44 am  #17

Third time through for me now. The first time was when it was airing - but there was so much buffering on the live stream I almost gave up.  Now that I've seen it again, once with Sherli today and now again at home on BBC Iplayer with thankfully no stopping and starting this time, I'm really happy and pleased with the entire production. The pace and timing was excellent and I loved the whole clever funny, and touching way they went about getting John and Sherlock back together again - finally!  I'm even over my anger at Sherlock laughing at John in the train scene.  In the context of the whole production it now somehow works for me because I could finally see all those little moments throughout where Sherlock truly did try to apologize and wanted so much for John to come back. It's the craziness in the relationship that bonds them.

The only part that didn't fit in well for me was theory #3 at Anderson's flat.  It just came out of nowhere and didn't seem to belong in a cut away from the train scene at all.  What the heck was it doing there??

What I did like (and had missed first time through) was the really clever juxtaposition of Sherlock working without John and John seeing all those boring patients with their repulsive ailments. Loved that scene where Sherlock says something about John making his position clear about coming back and then the cut to John pulling on the rubber glove with his middle finger sticking up. Brilliant.
(Maybe we could start a 'favorite lines' or 'favorite moments' thread for TEH)

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 5, 2014 1:48 am  #18

I've watched it 3 times and I like it more with each one. I posted a long message about it on another thread but overall I can say that have been able to get small details that make me appreciate the beauty of the screenplay and the great performances of all the actors.

I still don't like that Sherlock laughed at John in the underground car scene and the moment where they inserted the 3rd explanation.

I will try to watch it again tonight and I will comment afterwards.

January 5, 2014 1:50 am  #19

KeepersPrice wrote:

(Maybe we could start a 'favorite lines' or 'favorite moments' thread for TEH)

great idea!    will do that.  

January 5, 2014 1:53 am  #20

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

There were plenty of things I DID like about the episode though. I'm afraid my last post probably came across as super negative. It's not like I hated it or anything.

Of course.  We all have our favorite and least favorite episodes.

At least, when something is as well done as Sherlock even the lesser episodes are better than 90% of the other crap on telly.    

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera