BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2014 11:19 pm  #41

Re: How he did it - Theory/ theories after seing The Empty Hearse

Yeahright wrote:

But the improbableone's comment is dismissive of the ridiculous non-case. What drew my attention was the mention of a complex set of mirrors and ninjas. Optical illusions are the corner stones of magic tricks. David Copperfield's old tricks of hiding planes and statues and buildings live and in plain view come to mind. There exists this sort of polarized glass (I'm not sure of the correct terminology) that renders objects placed behind it invisible.
Hello chalked out rectangle which could have been a chamber with a safety net or something hidden behind it .The special glass walls were quickly dismantled and hidden in the laundry van.
And speaking of the Elephant in the room didn't Copperfield once made an elephant invisible too?

Didn't understand it all, it's complicated. Copperfield, elephants, special glass and ninjas? But nope. And the laundry van was needed for Sherlocks fall in. (imo)

> Don't take it personally, please. <

edit: foreign-language-problems: grammar, orthography, wrong vocables, breaks

January 7, 2014 11:46 pm  #42

Yeahright wrote:

If you're still theorizing and haven't read the hollow client entry on John's blog go read it. Veeeery interesting also frustratingly confusing yet still could be a clue to how he did the fall.
And to those who've read it doesn't it strike you how out of character Sherlock is? How he lists ridiculous theory after theory outloud, infront of John? Also theimprobableone aka Anderson comments on it and everyone on the blog's glad he's back. Sherlock knew John would blog about it.

Nice story. But I missed, how the suit went to the chair, whatever.
I don't think, there are hints in the blog. Because John don't know. (And maybe something is private.)

January 8, 2014 12:27 am  #43

Yeahright wrote:

his blogger, his housekeeper, and his pet policeman

LOL!

January 8, 2014 12:42 am  #44

s.he wrote:

Yeahright wrote:

If you're still theorizing and haven't read the hollow client entry on John's blog go read it. Veeeery interesting also frustratingly confusing yet still could be a clue to how he did the fall.
And to those who've read it doesn't it strike you how out of character Sherlock is? How he lists ridiculous theory after theory outloud, infront of John? Also theimprobableone aka Anderson comments on it and everyone on the blog's glad he's back. Sherlock knew John would blog about it.

Nice story. But I missed, how the suit went to the chair, whatever.
I don't think, there are hints in the blog. Because John don't know. (And maybe something is private.)

The clients were playing a practical joke on Sherlock and John. Presumably they broke in and left the suit on the chair as part of that. That's how I read the blog entry anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 8, 2014 4:12 pm  #45

Quotes from The hollow client:
"As we stared at the suit, Sherlock quickly formulated a number of solutions. Alan had been winding Jack up to the point where Jack genuinely believed he was invisible. Jack had wrapped himself in a complex set of mirrors so that it appeared as if he was invisible. Or had been wrapped up in the mirrors by Alan. He briefly considered invisible paint. Perhaps Jack and Alan were highly-advanced scientists (they weren't, they were media students). We'd been drugged on the way in and taken to an exact replica of 221B Baker Street where a camera was projecting the suit into the chair. I did stop him at that point and ask who'd have done that. He shrugged and suggested ninjas. Then he continued... the suit was a hologram, Jack had never existed, Jack was dressed up in the same fabric as the chair...

At that point I had to stop him and point out that, as students, perhaps Jack and Alan were just winding us up. And that perhaps it was just an empty suit. Sherlock accepted, grudgingly, that I might be right. And when we checked the chair, sure enough it was just an empty suit. He was disappointed. I think he preferred the idea of it being some elaborate plot involving ninjas and a complex set of mirrors."

I was reading the subtext of the story:
1. Jack and Alan were winding them up just like Gatiss and Moffat wound us up with the whole Fall conundrum.
2. Sherlock analyzes in his head , he only speaks out loud the most probable solution. When he's confused or baffled he simply says I don't know or keeps quiet. This case he's all over the place with crazy theories similar to Anderson and the fandom trying to analyze the fall.
3. "Jack was dressed up in the same fabric as the chair " would ring a bell with anyone who saw that other Sherlock on the screen: the Game of Shadows, in which Robert Downey Jr. goes up against Moriarty. ( a hint? Plain sarcasm? )
4. My theory is that Sherlock intentionally said those things to Watson knowing fully he'ld blog about. Also knowing "theimprobableone"/ Anderson would read it. His comment was: A waste of everyone's time. Which I believe how overcritical fans or new comers to the show said about the big reveal in the Empty Hearse.
5. Sherlock is a master of deduction don't you think he'd realize it was just an empty suit?  And no he doesn't like everything to be clever (as Moriarty accused him) just logical and true. This story is so out of character.
6. So either this is his way to free Anderson, who was disappointed with the explanation and still doesnt believe it, and show him how crazy he got. Or he was offering a clue to how he did ( with the mirrors ? Magicians use mirrors and special reflective surfaces all the time to create illusions.)
7. May be John and Alan are member of anderson's empty hearse club and this was similar to the Jack the ripper Skeleton mystery they set up to intrigue Holmes. Maybe that's what he meant by a waste of EVeryBody's time (him included)
8. We all know the blogs arent random and the comment section of each case is riddled with hidden messages and clues for that universe.

January 8, 2014 5:29 pm  #46

@ Wholocked, Yeahright: Thank you for your explanation of the Hollow Client. My english isn't enough for enjoying the blog.

I agree, Sherlock would realize an empty suit in a chair. Or he's extremly out of charakter (or drunken again). But I don't see it as such a hint for the Reichenbachfall. But maybe the mirrors and surface thing are just another reference to the fans who like magician and illusionist ideas. Like Gatiss, Moffat und Co. in the Empty Hearse refered to the fans who like bungee or the blue pillows or the idea of a big conspiracy of Mycrofts.

All people want Sherlock to be clever, best prepared and complete controlling all eventualities all around. What if he's not? That's why most of the people (fandom, Anderson, ... John?) are pleased with the end of Empty Hearse. (And for that, btw, it's a nice ending.) But I would say the character of Sherlocks prefers simple ways. The clever image is derived from the character of his cases, which are clever and well prepared. But I've never seen Sherlock going complicate ways. And if even the sqashball is to much equipment for the fall, so I'm standing at no performances, no pillow/ net, no corpse... and of course no mirrors, sorry

Earlier Moffat (?) said, all the clues are in the Reichenbach Fall. And for me that works. (Edit: in combination with the Canon)

Last edited by s.he (January 10, 2014 10:07 am)

Board footera