BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2012 11:17 pm  #1

London A-Z

OK, so why does Sherlock need to get out the A-Z to find out where the Tramway is (after John is kidnapped)...I thought he was supposed to know every street in London and basically have a map inside his head...? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 30, 2012 2:06 am  #2

Re: London A-Z

Well, technically he gets out a map. The A-Z is what he uses to translate the cipher.
I think he got out the map because there wasn't a lot of time so he couldn't afford to get it wrong. He probably wanted to confirm it was where he thought it was, or there were multiple tramways and he needed the map to help him visualize which one would be the one they're using.

That was my take on it anyways.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 30, 2012 6:28 am  #3

Yeah. Hadn't really thought about that one. If he wanted to check where it was he cold have just turned to the correct page in the A-Z,  that's the whole point of the A-Z.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 3, 2012 9:59 pm  #4

I get that London A-Z is a tourist guide to the city.  But is there something that makes it special?  I've never heard of the series before; I'm familiar with Lonely Planet, the Rough Guides, Moon Handbooks, Frommer's, Fodor's, but not this one.  I googled it and it looks like it's just for Britain, yes???  As an American, I didn't quite understand why this particular guidebook was used.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 4, 2012 4:17 am  #5

Apparently it is commonly given or sold to tourists to London; that was explained in the show.

As for not knowing where the tramway was, perhaps to Sherlock that was mind clutter - something he didn't need to know as far as he was concerned. Just like how the Solar System works; not useful if you don't need it. After all, he take cabs.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 8:02 am  #6

He could probably have recalled it from his Mind Palace like he did with the Project Hound information, but given the urgency of the situation he didn't really have time for it and just used the map...possibly.

By the way, I have a copy of the A to Z and it didn't work, but I was thinking maybe some of the street names are slightly newer. My copy is over 10 years old so...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 4, 2012 9:08 am  #7

So the old 'mind palace' system fails when we need quick thinking huh? That really makes me laugh actually! Makes my night.

And yes, I would believe there would be updates every year of the guide so inevitably the words on pages would differ.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 9:14 am  #8

Is it night for you already?!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 4, 2012 10:15 am  #9

8:15pm on a freezing cold (for here anyway) Monday night.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 10:19 am  #10

Oh it's only 11am on Monday here. Ok, quick, tell me what my day's gonna be like!!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 4, 2012 10:39 am  #11

Um, actually there was a little mayhem and Mondayitis everywhere this morning but the day soon calmed down after lunchtime.
(There's a bit of a full moon around that helps explain things you know)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 10:42 am  #12

Oh, good, it's lunchtime soon...
Mondayitis isn't affecting (effecting?) my household as it's halfterm and we don't go back for a week!

Last edited by Molly Hooper (June 4, 2012 10:43 am)

November 28, 2012 9:59 pm  #13

Just irrelevant and for the record, but I was wondering whether Soo Lin actually had a London A-Z in the museum. It wasn't shown the night she was shot. Would have been too obvious I presume.
Eventually I found it on her desk:

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 29, 2012 7:31 am  #14

Wow, well spotted!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 29, 2012 8:14 am  #15

Ooo! You are good! Really good! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 29, 2012 9:04 am  #16

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I get that London A-Z is a tourist guide to the city.  But is there something that makes it special?  I've never heard of the series before; I'm familiar with Lonely Planet, the Rough Guides, Moon Handbooks, Frommer's, Fodor's, but not this one.  I googled it and it looks like it's just for Britain, yes???  As an American, I didn't quite understand why this particular guidebook was used.

There is probably not a household in the UK without an A-Z... if they don't have one then they are an anomaly as far as I know. It is quite literally 'the book everyone owns.'

I remember watching this ep for the first time in my home and my eyes immediately flicked to the A-Z on my bookshelf. Very clever writing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 8, 2012 11:28 am  #17

I wouldn't describe London A-Z as a tourist guide (not if you compare it with Lonely Planet for example). It's a street atlas. I bought mine the first time I went to London and till not long ago it travelled with me everytime (which is often) I went back there. Now I've got the digital version but I still keep my faithful companion with my most treasured books.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 9, 2012 12:43 am  #18

tiharoa wrote:

I wouldn't describe London A-Z as a tourist guide. ... It's a street atlas.

Oh!  That makes sense; thanks.  And belated thanks also to Mnemosyne for your explanation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 9, 2012 10:05 am  #19

When I first saw the episode, I had to think of my sister who lived in Berlin for a while.
First thing she did was getting a map, especially for the tube.
And she still used it after living there for some years. Especially when she wanted to go to th theatre or an exhibition. When I visited her we used to sit at the breakfast table checking the best and shortest way.
So I thought it is quite usual to own the London A-Z when you live there. 

And I love the explanation about Sherlock and the solar system = the tube. As he's ussed to taxi, it is probably not a usefull information to keep in the mind palace.

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 9, 2012 10:07 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera