BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2014 8:16 pm  #1

"I prefer my doctors to be clean shaven."

I apologise profusely if this has already been discussed but a search and a look around didn't uncover any posts about it yet here. If there is one, sorry & please can someone point me in it's direction.

The line where Sherlock says, "I prefer my doctors to be clean shaven." sounds like a quote. Does anyone recognise or understand the reference?

January 3, 2014 8:48 pm  #2

Re: "I prefer my doctors to be clean shaven."

I don't know, but my headcanon is that John actually IS Sherlock's doctor. Registered and everything ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 3, 2014 9:03 pm  #3

kittykat wrote:

I don't know, but my headcanon is that John actually IS Sherlock's doctor. Registered and everything ^^

Yes :-) No other doctor would put up with Sherlock anyway. Worst patient ever I imagine.

January 3, 2014 10:42 pm  #4

Oh, definitely!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 4, 2014 2:36 am  #5

I've no idea if it's a quote but from the very moment I heard that line my exact thought was "Oh god, that is going to spawn a whole lot of clean-shaven kink fics" (and I'm not talking about the face)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 4, 2014 3:42 am  #6

You're more than likely right Matt.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 4, 2014 10:52 am  #7

If he'd said "doctor" rather than "doctors" then it would definitely have had me raising an eyebrow!

But "doctors" seems odd. Maybe a Doctor Who thing? That was my first thought but I'm not enough of a Doctor Who fan to know if facial hair on the Doctors is a thing.

January 4, 2014 11:12 am  #8

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2014 11:19 am  #9

I love that they actually made the T-shirt to tie-in with Mary saying, you should get that on a T-shirt. Brilliant! P.s. LOVE Mary in that scene. Anyone else notice she's sitting in a SH pose, knees tucked up? (Off topic I know, soz ;)

January 4, 2014 11:39 am  #10

The_Gun_Flip wrote:

I love that they actually made the T-shirt to tie-in with Mary saying, you should get that on a T-shirt. Brilliant! P.s. LOVE Mary in that scene. Anyone else notice she's sitting in a SH pose, knees tucked up? (Off topic I know, soz ;)

Actually, the moment I saw that scene I just knew that this would be made into a t-shirt faster than you can say "marry me".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2014 12:12 pm  #11

It's not a quote from the Canon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 4, 2014 12:20 pm  #12

My head canon until I know better is that Sherlock's referring to Matt Smith in the Christmas Doctor Who.

February 22, 2014 2:18 pm  #13

I think it is just a bit of a meta element. Something that the meta Sherlock Holmes would say if he as a character existed and could actually survive through the ages and form an opinion about all the Wtason incarnations in films and movies. A bit like breaking the fourth wall and telling the writers that he prefers to have a Watson by his side without a moustache. 

February 22, 2014 3:07 pm  #14

I honestly just think Sherlock meant it in the sense of a shaved doctor looking cleaner and more professional.
But they used it to give us all a giggle!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2014 12:05 am  #15

Be wrote:

I think it is just a bit of a meta element. Something that the meta Sherlock Holmes would say if he as a character existed and could actually survive through the ages and form an opinion about all the Wtason incarnations in films and movies. A bit like breaking the fourth wall and telling the writers that he prefers to have a Watson by his side without a moustache. 

I like that thought, Be!  It's very clever.  I wish I'd thought of it.   It's going to now become my official interpretation. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 23, 2014 3:50 am  #16

As a matter of fact, most Watsons throughout the years have had mustaches...and there is much Johnlock fanfic playing with the idea that Holmes likes to feel Watson's mustache tickling him....

But the line is nevertheless a little bit Johnlock-y, because it's like a woman (or gay man) saying, "I prefer my men (insert physical trait)" - talking about what he or she finds attractive in a potential romantic interest.

The very idea of Sherlock having a preference for John to look a certain way...

February 25, 2014 10:52 am  #17

On the other hand we get a John being very reluctant (at first) to value Sherlock's opinion. Or is it that he just doesn't want to admit that he values it?
Why can’t John confess that he likes Sherlock, that he adores him and that he values his opinion? Not even when it is just about the silly moustache. I don’t shave for Sherlock Holmes. How very telling. Nobody said that, John. The natural reaction would be to say that Sherlock has a superior way to see things. What looks good, what suits you and what doesn’t. He knows how to dress himself. So if your friend has a good taste in clothes it is perfectly logical and sensible to take advantage of that and follow his advice.
Mrs. H told him that it ages him and he kept the moustache in spite of it.

The same goes with girl-friends. Just imagine you have a "Sherlock" who is a good friend of yours and you are looking for a romantic partner. And you didn't have much success.
It is perfectly sensible to ask the Sherlockian person about his opinion about humans.
Something Janine apparently did at the wedding. A very useful trait.
If I was John I would have asked Sherlock what he can deduce about Mary and whether he likes her and whether he thinks that we'd make a good couple.
Not that I would actually do what "Sherlock" said just because he said it but I would take advantage ot it.

February 25, 2014 12:07 pm  #18

I think John is still in the :  'Sherlock knows nothing about love and relationships' line of thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2014 2:12 am  #19

Be wrote:

On the other hand we get a John being very reluctant (at first) to value Sherlock's opinion. Or is it that he just doesn't want to admit that he values it?

I think the whole point of John shaving so soon after the reunion (was it soon?...always have a bit of a problem with timeline in this series) was that he WAS shaving for Sherlock Holmes!

Saying he didn't was "protesting too much," and it was almost like another denial of them being a couple, in a way. Kind of goes back to the whole,  "I'm not gay" thing. Because in this case, it wouldn't be just valuing Sherlock's OPINION, but it's Sherlock's opinion of his looks, in particular.

In other words, "I don't care if Sherlock Holmes finds me attractive."

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 26, 2014 2:18 am)

February 26, 2014 8:16 am  #20

I do see that qoute as two things; firstly I do think Motiss loves to tease the Johnlockers; I bet they laughed their pants off when they wrote that!

Secondly I think it also shows Sherlock's manipulative side. He needs to control the people he is around in order to feel right.

I also think about what John told Lestrade in THoB, that his Asperbergers makes him like to have the 'usual' faces around. the mustache isn't Watson's 'usual' look and what Sherlock is used to... 

I have a friend who is mentally ill. Granted she does not have Aspberger's but if I wear bright colours or white around her instead of black like she knows me she can barely look at me... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera