BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2014 6:02 pm  #1

Beating and Aftermath

I was a little surprised, to say the least, that Sherlock apparently isn't only a genius but also a man of steel. He was after all beaten rather badly by that Serbian guy and afterwards only winced a little when he straightened up while being shaved (or maybe he's distantly related to Aragorn, who is similarly indestructable in PJ's movies).
Seriously- shouldn't he have howled in pain when John pushed him onto the floor in the restaurant, bearing in mind how his back and shoulders looked when Mycroft got him out (and that he couldn't even stand properly by that time)?

Oh, and speaking of Mycroft- I love him dearly and I'm happy we saw so much of him, but watching Sherlock being mistreated like that was rather harsh in my opinion. I don't really know what to make of that.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

January 3, 2014 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Beating and Aftermath

Everyone knows that if you are an action hero you can get shot, beaten and tortured and still carry on. The only time you wince is when the girl dabs one of the wounds gently with her tongue moistened hankerchief.
Besides Sherlock is trained in all the martial arts and meditation. He can rise above it.

January 3, 2014 6:54 pm  #3

I see your point, Kerkerian. I am still thinking about this. Must have been really painful for quite some time. And they will have travelled to London as quickly as possible after the interrogation. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2014 7:06 pm  #4

Being Sherlock, I could imagine him being in pain and just not letting it show. Anyway, the torture scene was bad. I so wanted someone to hug him to make up for it a bit. At least Lestrade did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 3, 2014 7:11 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

I see your point, Kerkerian. I am still thinking about this. Must have been really painful for quite some time. And they will have travelled to London as quickly as possible after the interrogation. 

I agree, they won't have dawdled. Furthermore, in the wince it's evident that he's experiencing some discomfort when he's moving.

dartmoordoggers: That seems a little too easy, don't you think? Which is why I referred to Aragorn, by the way, not to be taken seriously of course.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 3, 2014 7:22 pm  #6

Yes I've wondered about this too, and decided not to pay too much attention. Maybe Sherlock is more like Legolas and can heal from wounds that would kill anyone else, lol. But yeah, more seriously, a punch from John seems to have hurt him more than being beaten by that Serbian guy.

Just like old times...

January 3, 2014 8:08 pm  #7

Maybe during the beating he was in his Mind Palace with John!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 3, 2014 8:21 pm  #8

I noticed the same thing. Though Sherlock stopped him before he could really hit. My in-universe explanation, there'd been quite a bit of time between the beating up and the move to London. Or he wasn't seriously hit, his clever tongue got him out on time and the brother did the rest. 

January 3, 2014 8:40 pm  #9

silverblaze wrote:

I noticed the same thing. Though Sherlock stopped him before he could really hit. My in-universe explanation, there'd been quite a bit of time between the beating up and the move to London. Or he wasn't seriously hit, his clever tongue got him out on time and the brother did the rest. 

He did stop him, but his voice was very frail and his back looked horrible. He also didn't exactly scream but made audible sounds while he was beaten (I think he'd really try not to as long as possible, given he's proud), and when the guy left, he wasn't able to stand, otherwise he could have relieved the strain on his wrists, arms and shoulders.

Since the terrorist attack was called "imminent" and the reasons mentioned before, I don't think there's been much time in between the rescue and returning to London.

Tonnaree: Maybe he was! And yet, in the restaurant, he was focused on John and couldn't have concentrated enough to go back and deal with the pain, could he?

January 3, 2014 10:30 pm  #10

@Kerkerian True, I'm just trying to make it fit in my head 'cuz it's obviously a continuity error. Loved the little detail with the headphones, count on a horror writer for those kind of things . Actually, it's even worse; first he gets beaten up be Serbian terrorists, then, a few days later, by his best friend. He recovered rather quick from that nose too, don't you think? 

January 4, 2014 2:47 am  #11

Transport! ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 4, 2014 8:38 am  #12

Is it only me or did he have a problem about being hugged by Lestrade like that because of his shoulder still hurting? First time watching I thought it was because he was surprised by it but second time I thought I'd noticed it to be a little more than that.

And I guess before they shaved him they bandaged the wounds so that there was a bit of a padding. At least that's what I imagine them to do. Regrettably, we do not see him shirtless again after that, so there's no proof.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

January 4, 2014 8:43 am  #13

I had the same thoughts about his quick recovery. But then again - he was already grinning directly after the punishment when he still was kinda hanging there and Mycroft told him "Back to London".

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 4, 2014 10:37 am  #14

surely Mycroft provided a very good medical care after their arrival...and I think everyone knows that by some smaller injuries you can feel more pain than by the big ones..so I can imagine that smashed nose could have hurt hard!   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 4, 2014 10:52 am  #15

I'd just like to add this link, it's an interesting read and has a picture of Sherlock's poor bloody back:

http://johnfuckingwatson.tumblr.com/post/71990670778/sherlock-was-with-the-serbians-long-enough-that

silverblaze: Yes, he did recover from that very quickly as well. And the abrasion at his mouth also disappeared rather soon.

January 4, 2014 11:39 am  #16

Maybe in Sherlock universe, nights are very very long. 

January 4, 2014 2:02 pm  #17

silverblaze wrote:

Maybe in Sherlock universe, nights are very very long. 

Probably!

January 4, 2014 2:07 pm  #18

I think the blow to the nose hurt his pride more than anything else.

As for the torture injuries...he was in a pretty bad shape, but I've always imagined him as a guy who has a really high pain threshold. His wounds would have been washed, treated, stitched and bandaged up. He probably would have been on some painkillers too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2014 2:10 pm  #19

Kerkerian wrote:

I'd just like to add this link, it's an interesting read and has a picture of Sherlock's poor bloody back:

http://johnfuckingwatson.tumblr.com/post/71990670778/sherlock-was-with-the-serbians-long-enough-that

silverblaze: Yes, he did recover from that very quickly as well. And the abrasion at his mouth also disappeared rather soon.

Interesting, yes, but I'm of the opinion that Sherlock gave into the chase part so easily because he actually WANTED to be captured, for whatever reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2014 2:42 am  #20

Punch me in the face wrote:

But yeah, more seriously, a punch from John seems to have hurt him more than being beaten by that Serbian guy.

I think that could be because John means much more to him than the nameless Serbian guy.  Sherlock had no emotional connection to the Serb so in a way, he could rise above what was happening to him.  But his connection to John is very strong, and John means a lot to Sherlock.  Also, Sherlock could be letting guilt at how he treated John affect him, unconsciously I'm sure, and perhaps he feels that because he hurt John, he should now let John hurt him.  But I'm no psychologist!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera