BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2014 6:41 am  #101

Re: Has Mary killed Johnlock?

Although I suppose one could argue that John had deliberatley chosen the face fuzz, to try and move on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2014 6:50 am  #102

And I would actually really like to hear from him why he decided to try out a moustache... as an outer sign for his attempt to move on? It's often said (whether true or not) that women tend to get a new haircut after a divorce/breakup... something similar here for John?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 8, 2014 7:48 am  #103

Well both Sherlock and Mrs Hudson said the moustache aged him and I think it was a reflection of how, with Sherlock gone, he felt old.  Gone was his life of adventure and chasing after criminals, replaced by working as a GP seeing patient after patient with mundane complaints.  Although undoubtably Mary makes John feel happy and loved, Sherlock keeps him young and alive.  I think the growing, and later shaving of the moustache reflected this transition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 8, 2014 12:14 pm  #104

SolarSystem wrote:

And I would actually really like to hear from him why he decided to try out a moustache... as an outer sign for his attempt to move on? It's often said (whether true or not) that women tend to get a new haircut after a divorce/breakup... something similar here for John?

My headcanon is that John forgot to shave once and Mary made a comment on how cute he looks with a bit of facial hair so in big exaggeration he tried out a moustache. Mary then was like "Ewww" but didn't dare to tell him because she has set that idea in his mind in the first place.
I also agree with NotYour - the moustache is a reflection on how old he feels without Sherlock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 20, 2014 5:27 am  #105

For the first two seasons it seemed like Mofftis were doing everything possible to tease the Johnlock shippers and string them along.

Now it's like they're going out of their way to shoot us down, saying, "Ok, joke over. The boys are definitely hetero." And that's going to be more so in the next two episodes, I think.

I was surprised Sherlock didn't display more resentment of John's being engaged. I don't think that necessarily requires "sexual" Johnlock. I think it's a no-brainer that Sherlock would resent, and feel threatened by, John's getting a life that didn't include him. Even something like John moving out of Baker Street is a change Sherlock does not want. And even assuming John has forgiven him, being newly married is bound to be a priority that interferes with John's helping Sherlock.

There is some basis in canon for those feelings on Holmes' part, too. He says outright that he's not happy about Watson being engaged.

Sherlock may well be asexual...but the kind of person who only has one friend is bound to want that one friend to be the same way.

Back to the main question: most of their lines about each other before The Reunion teased Johnlockers. I can't remember them all but I most especially remember Sherlock's line that he had to get rid of the mustache because it makes John look old and "I don't want to be seen with an old man." The phrasing was rather suggestive of being a couple.

And John couldn't stop obsessing over Sherlock (at work) even while mad at him.

In the John Waton Blog entry for Empty Hearse, he says outright that Sherlocklives means johnwatsonlives.

I was surprised at Mary, too. Mary seemed to bond with Sherlock, and to make it her mission to get them back together. ("I'll talk him around?!")

She acts like Mrs. Hudson and others., almost treating them like a couple. She has to realize that John won't be the most attentive fiance / husband once he "makes up" with Sherlock. In canon, even when married to Mary, Watson would run to Holmes the moment Holmes snapped his fingers. Here, Mary seems in favor of his doing just that. Mary does in canon encourage Watson to go to Holmes once or twice, but it's more believable there because of the era.

No, society shouldn't assume that two men who live together are gay, but I think in this day and age, a woman who wanted to marry one of them would at least be asking him that question.

In all honesty, as much as the series dealt head-on (if jokingly) with  Johnlock, I think the series itself kind of kills Johnlock, because of the way both Sherlock and John are written/played. It's just harder to imagine either of them being...romantic in the way that's depicted in fanfic where they're definitely in a relationship.

Writers of canon-based fic often really idealize and romanticize them, but especially idealize and romanticize Watson. Less so when fic is based on BBC-verse, but still - you just can't see these BBC characters in those romantic situations.

I might start a different thread on this topic.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 20, 2014 7:01 am)

January 20, 2014 7:27 am  #106

I think it's a heck of an assumption that asexual people want asexual friends.

Last edited by besleybean (January 20, 2014 4:54 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2014 7:32 am  #107

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

In all honesty, as much as the series dealt head-on (if jokingly) with  Johnlock, I think the series itself kind of kills Johnlock, because of the way both Sherlock and John are written/played. It's just harder to imagine either of them being...romantic in the way that's depicted in fanfic where they're definitely in a relationship.

Writers of canon-based fic often really idealize and romanticize them, but especially idealize and romanticize Watson. Less so when fic is based on BBC-verse, but still - you just can't see these BBC characters in those romantic situations.

I wonder if you have shipped Johnlock before watching TEH or not. Have you?

And I am very looking forward to what you are thinking about the topic after the other two episodes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2014 8:14 am  #108

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

For the first two seasons it seemed like Mofftis were doing everything possible to tease the Johnlock shippers and string them along.
Now it's like they're going out of their way to shoot us down, saying, "Ok, joke over. The boys are definitely hetero." And that's going to be more so in the next two episodes, I think.

I don't know yet. I've not seen 3.2 and 3.3 yet and won't until they air in the US the next two Sundays.

I had read a lot about how Gatiss et al had "thrown a lot of bones" to the fans, but I didn't see that at all. In fact, all I saw was their scornful dismissal of fan fic writers and readers and Johnlockers as a bunch of misguided, naive, bug-eyed idiots with no concept of reality or real life. I was totally insulted by that lame thing with Moriarty on the roof, the two of them giggling about John's blind terror down on the street and then going for a kiss. WTF was that??

For those who believe in Johnlock, who are just having fun with it in fan fic, IMO, no harm done, and TWIC can do whatever they want with the characters in canon. For those who don't see Johnlock and never will, no harm done, and TWIC can do whatever they want with the characters in canon.

Johnlock exists only in fanfic-- not in canon, either original or BBC---  and there it should stay, warm and safe in the arms of those who love it. Canon Mary has nothing to do with what goes on in fan fic, or at least, she doesn't have to.

Everyone needs to lay off the Johnlockers-- back off, let people be interested in what they're interested in, without scorn, threats or jokes poked at their expense. Live and let live.

January 20, 2014 4:43 pm  #109

besleybean wrote:

I thik it's a heck of an assumption that asexual people want asexual friends.

I think I more mean that I would expect Sherlock, who doesn't have many real friends, to not do a very good job of sharing the ones he has with THEIR other friends.

January 20, 2014 5:18 pm  #110

There is another reason why Johnlock fits canon better:

At the time canon was written ANY indication that ANYONE was sleeping with anyone was, of course, taboo to mention, and "Johnlock" would have been downright illegal. So it would make sense for that side of their relationship to exist, yet be suppressed from or left out of the stories, or turned into subtext.

In today's media, there's not much that's really off-limits. So it's harder to believe that there's something going on behind the scenes in a modern series, because  "why not just tell us?" Then again, with THESE writers and producers..

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 20, 2014 5:34 pm)

January 20, 2014 5:23 pm  #111

Yeah, there's enough mystery with the mysteries,as far as I'm concerned!

January 20, 2014 5:35 pm  #112

You know, there is also fan fic (from every 'verse) where Mary, um...gets involved... in "Johnlock." I think I can imagine this Mary (Abbington) doing that!

January 20, 2014 5:41 pm  #113

The mind boggles.

January 20, 2014 5:48 pm  #114

Actually, as a Johnlock fanfic reader and writer I've been giving the new dynamics many thoughts already. And I still think it makes a wonderful challenge.
After Reichenbach, it was clear that there would be many reunion fics. Now, the situation is not that clear any more, but IMO that makes for a more interesting starting position. But there will surely be more diversity, and I love that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2014 6:49 pm  #115

I will ride the Johnlock ship to the gates of hell and beyond!  I will go down with this ship.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2014 10:51 pm  #116

tonnaree wrote:

I will ride the Johnlock ship to the gates of hell and beyond!  I will go down with this ship.  

*smile*  You go, girl.

And, by the way, me too. Make it a pirate ship, and let's hoist the Johnlock flag (wanna design one?) high and proud. Wheeee!

January 23, 2014 12:16 am  #117

The first part of John's conversation with Mrs. Hudson, telling her about Mary, would, taken out of context, imply he had lost someone he was in a romantic relationship with.

"I'm moving on. I've met someone," is phrasing used by people who lose a spouse or partner, and then meet a potential new romantic interest. And it implies that he couldn't have had the relationship with Mary while also living / working with Sherlock.

January 23, 2014 2:41 am  #118

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

The first part of John's conversation with Mrs. Hudson, telling her about Mary, would, taken out of context, imply he had lost someone he was in a romantic relationship with.

"I'm moving on. I've met someone," is phrasing used by people who lose a spouse or partner, and then meet a potential new romantic interest. And it implies that he couldn't have had the relationship with Mary while also living / working with Sherlock.

Again, I totally agree.  Interesting too that they wrote Mrs. Hudson in that scene as just assuming he'd met and become engaged to another man.

January 23, 2014 3:35 am  #119

ancientsgate wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

*smile*  You go, girl.

And, by the way, me too. Make it a pirate ship, and let's hoist the Johnlock flag (wanna design one?) high and proud. Wheeee!

Sounds like a plan!  I'm already a part of the crew of that particular ship 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 23, 2014 3:36 am  #120

ancientsgate wrote:

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

Again, I totally agree.  Interesting too that they wrote Mrs. Hudson in that scene as just assuming he'd met and become engaged to another man.

*nods*

-------------------------------------------------------

Board footera