BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2014 8:09 pm  #61

Re: Has Mary killed Johnlock?

I'm right there with you Keeper.  You could practically hear Sherlock screaming in his head "God Mom"!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2014 8:14 pm  #62

Even Sherlock gets embarrassed by his parents ^^ 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 5, 2014 8:39 pm  #63

kittykat wrote:

Even Sherlock gets embarrassed by his parents ^^ 

He's human after all! 

KP: Good analysis!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 11:26 pm  #64

They are also embarrassingly ordinary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 6, 2014 12:32 am  #65

After watching TSoTT I not only think that Mary has not killed johnlock, I think she ships it too.

*giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 6, 2014 1:13 am  #66

Here are my thoughts. Mary is exactly the right one for John because she understands how complex John's relationship is with Sherlock.  She sees the depth of John's love and attachment to him and is smart enough to encourage him in it.  She understands that there's a male bonding thing going on she can't compete with and can not get in the way of.  What Sherlock gives John is as vital to him as breathing. All of John's other girlfriends were never willing to put up with  it and that's probably why Sherlock seems so surprised when Mary says she'll talk John "around". She's different from all the others and so very loving and smart.

As for John, he has exactly what he needs now.  He's straight and therefore can never be in a sexual relationship with Sherlock - can't even comprehend why people think it - but he can have a physical relationship with Mary - plus with her he has an intelligent and loving companion and wife.  He basically has it all.  Every physical and emotional need he has is met by both of these important people in his life.

As for Sherlock, John is probably the most important person in his life - the one he truly loves - the one who has saved him and "humanized" him and has taught him that caring can be an advantage.  Very doubtful he wants John sexually (but there's so much ambiguity built into the show I'm not completely ruling it out) but he certainly "wants" him.  He's smart enough to know that Mary is different from all the others and that John loves her deeply.  He can't compete with John's need for that kind of female companionship either and knows it.  But in my mind, the thing about Mary is that she is a female "John". She's small and blond and smart and bold therefore it's easy for Sherlock to come to love her too.  The both love John and want the best for him and so are at peace with each other because of that.

In the grand scheme of things, going forward, both Mary and Sherlock will have to 'share'.  Oh, John do you realize what a lucky, lucky man you are?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 6, 2014 2:53 am  #67

What a lovely analysis KP.  I think I have finally come to terms with the bromance and although it is not the direction I though they were going in SIP, its all turning out to be quite wonderful.  Thanks everyone for the comments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 6, 2014 6:59 am  #68

Bromance not romance, has always been the key.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2014 7:17 am  #69

besleybean wrote:

Bromance not romance, has always been the key.

Finally come to terms with this (taken me a while I know!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 6, 2014 7:24 am  #70

Hugs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2014 7:36 pm  #71

@Punch me. You are not alone in wanting Johnlock to happen on screen, but unless someone takes over from Mark Gatiss as writer and being in control of the show that is never going to happen. Unfortunately.

And concerning Sherlock being mean to all John's girlfriends then only one we ever actually see him being "mean" to is Janette (the boring teacher). We don't know how he acted with Spotty and Nose, but in the few scenees we see him and Sarah he is fairly nice to her. Well, nice for Sherlock-on-a-case-S1-period anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 6, 2014 7:44 pm  #72

But he didn't know Janette was the boring teacher!

January 6, 2014 8:35 pm  #73

No that only came after a bit of prompting, true.
But honestly I always wondered if the reason Sherlock can't remember who's who amongst John's girlfriends is due to John getting new ones so often? And whether the reason for the rapid succession of said girlfriends - four in nine or fewer months , that's about two months per woman - has more to do with John's behaviour than Sherlock's?
With women coming and going so fast I'm not sure Sherlock would bother memorising their names, they'll be gone by no later than next month anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 6, 2014 9:02 pm  #74

Ormond Sacker wrote:

@Punch me. You are not alone in wanting Johnlock to happen on screen, but unless someone takes over from Mark Gatiss as writer and being in control of the show that is never going to happen. Unfortunately.

I have to say I have come to agree with you Ormond.  In this respect, I find Mark disappointingly conservative.  I'm not sure if it's because he sees Johnlock as a travesty against the canon, or if (even though he is gay himself) he is socially conservative.  Things like showing a Sherlolly fantasy kiss but cutting a Sheriaty one makes me think it could possibly be the latter.  A shame!

January 6, 2014 9:04 pm  #75

A shame? Interesting.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2014 9:05 pm  #76

And I always thought Moffat was the bad boy?!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 9:10 pm  #77

Well I think they are both wonderful.

January 6, 2014 9:12 pm  #78

This hits the point for me:
CarlPowers wrote:

"....

That said,  I also don't really need to see another episode like this one again.  I enjoyed it immensely
*and* was frustrated,  in equal parts. I long for a good case,  and our solitary Sherlock back,
with perfectly articulated unspoken deep regard for John.  I'd love more of the crackling chemistry
between the characters, but with no further need to spell things out.   I'd like them to *show* what
happens in the face of danger, and not explain it anymore."

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=117006#p117006

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 6, 2014 9:13 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2014 9:13 pm  #79

besleybean wrote:

Well I think they are both wonderful.

So do I. I love them for creating this show. I don't know anything about Dr Who but I read some of the hate Moffat got for that and for his take on Irene. That's all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 9:18 pm  #80

I never even liked Irene in the Canon, so I certainly wasn't gonna blame Steven for that.

Board footera