BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2014 12:30 am  #41

Re: Has Mary killed Johnlock?

Wholocked wrote:

If it weren't canon, I'd be hoping that she was around indefinitely. I think she is an interesting character. Up until Mary, John and to a certain extent Mycroft, have been the only people who see Sherlock as being a valuable human beyond his powers of deduction. Even Lestrade to a degree only tolerates him for his usefulness. Mary "likes him" before the evening is out, even though he's hurt John and she's probably the only person who is aware of how deep that hurt goes.

How can you not find a personality interesting who is able to see through all that and decide that Sherlock is likable?

I think most girlfriends faced with the return of their boyfriend's dead best friend would either run for the hills or side with the boyfriend against the best friend. She doesn't do either of those things; if anything she seems to side with Sherlock that John is overreacting.

She's very self-confident, very sure of who she is, and very comfortable with her relationship with John.

I think she's fascinating.

I'm not sure that is quite true. Molly adores everything about Sherlock, and Mrs Hudson is very genuinely fond. I think Sherlock is very charismatic and I can understand why Mary likes him. I am really hoping she gets a bit more fleshed out in terms of her character and sticks around at least for another season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 5, 2014 1:18 am  #42

I don't agree she has reason to be jealous ( believe me I wish she did!) John is clearly head over heels in love with her  and is very angry with Sherlock. He is clearly a charismatic man, and obviously important to her partner, what's not to like?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 5, 2014 2:25 am  #43

So, according to canon, Mary must die.  BUT...if and when she does, will John believe she is truly dead?  Seeing as what happened with Sherlock?  That would make for a very interesting scenario.  Would John believe Sherlock if he insisted she was gone forever--or would it drive John away because he couldn't take not knowing for sure?  Will be interesting to see what happens!

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (January 5, 2014 2:27 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 8:17 am  #44

I suppose they could do it so she is just disappeared and none of us know...but then the whole show would become::  desperately seeking Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2014 12:18 pm  #45

Swanpride wrote:

A lot of woman would be not happy if their boyfriend would spend his free time storming into danger with his best friend. They would want them at home, spending time with them.

True, but Mary might also be thinking how just how good Sherlock will look in her wedding pictures.  Of course she'll want him part of the wedding party, the man knows how to wear a suit.

Just re watched it and had to laugh (bitterly) when I realised Mary was wearing a red coat in the bonfire scene, oh dear, maybe the Star Trek thing is not too far off...

January 5, 2014 12:31 pm  #46

I have never laughed so much as at  this last post of yours, dear.
Brilliant, well done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2014 1:10 pm  #47

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

So, according to canon, Mary must die.  BUT...if and when she does, will John believe she is truly dead?  Seeing as what happened with Sherlock?  That would make for a very interesting scenario.  Would John believe Sherlock if he insisted she was gone forever--or would it drive John away because he couldn't take not knowing for sure?  Will be interesting to see what happens!

But if she dies in John's arms or something like that then he will know she's truly dead - unlike with Sherlock where John's hand was not allowed to linger on his wrist and the body was whisked away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 5, 2014 1:51 pm  #48

I don't get the Star Trek reference 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 1:52 pm  #49

Mary Me wrote:

In the original Star Trek, the crew member (I say crew member, not a lead character) with a red shirt always dies 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 1:55 pm  #50

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

In the original Star Trek, the crew member (I say crew member, not a lead character) with a red shirt always dies 

Oooohhh... wait, what about Uhura?

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 1:57 pm  #51

Mary Me wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

She's a lead character, I said a crew member with a red shirt; secondary and not important to the progression of the show 

January 5, 2014 2:01 pm  #52

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

She's a lead character, I said a crew member with a red shirt; secondary and not important to the progression of the show 

Ah many thanks! Well, regarding Mary... maybe the fact that she's an important character will save her.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 2:02 pm  #53

Mary Me wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Ah many thanks! Well, regarding Mary... maybe the fact that she's an important character will save her.

She may be important...but I don't think that'll save her , this is Moffat afterall...the most evil out of the evil geniuses of this show.

January 5, 2014 2:19 pm  #54

Mary Me wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think she is necessarily an important character.  Maybe for a little while; but in the long run, sorry no.  ACD discovered she was a hindrance to the Holmes/Watson relationship. So,one day Watson turns up as a widower.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 3:25 pm  #55

I am so unsure about the speculations whether Mary will die in episode 3. I mean wouldn't it be a bit obvious? It's exactly what everybody expect. And Moftiss promised a dramatic ending. I don't know, I have a really bad feeling considering the final. There is still this vow/bow thing and we don't have a real confirmation for a 4th series, so maybe... NO, NO, I don't want to follow this train of thoughts  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 5, 2014 3:27 pm  #56

Stop it now!

January 5, 2014 6:45 pm  #57

I completely agree with Mary´s possible positive thinking of the best man´s look 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 5, 2014 8:02 pm  #58

You know what scene I loved in TEH (among many).....when John finally, FINALLY, at long last, shows up at the door of 221B and Sherlock's parents are there. My god, Sherlock can't shove them out the door fast enough. He's practically tripping over himself to do so.  Johnlock ambiguity raises it's funny little head again because, to me, this reminds me so much of being young and doing everything you can to get rid of your parents when the object of your affection comes over to the house. To me that was a wonderful moment.

January 5, 2014 8:06 pm  #59

KeepersPrice wrote:

You know what scene I loved in TEH (among many).....when John finally, FINALLY, at long last, shows up at the door of 221B and Sherlock's parents are there. My god, Sherlock can't shove them out the door fast enough. He's practically tripping over himself to do so. Johnlock ambiguity raises it's funny little head again because, to me, this reminds me so much of being young and doing everything you can to get rid of your parents when the object of your affection comes over to the house. To me that was a wonderful moment.

I feel very similarly about that scene 

January 5, 2014 8:07 pm  #60

Yes, I love that moment, too. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera