BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2013 11:48 pm  #121

Re: Converting your friends and family members

I succeeded very greatly!!!! My babysitter (BTW I can babysit but my parents don't like me doing for the whole day so we get one if they are going to be gone for a long time) comes every Monday and I keep telling her to watch Sherlock but she never does, until last Monday. She came and told me that she had watched all of them except for the last one yesterday and that she was going to watch TRF the next day. She said she loved it an I was so happy!!!!!! So one down, lots more to go. My other great success was my younger sister (who's 10), and she didn't even watch the episodes!!! I just showed her a few funny clips of random scenes on YouTube and she fell in love with it! She keeps begging our mom to let her watch it, but Mom keeps saying no you can only watch it when you're twelve. My sister is SO sherlocked! Out dialogue before and after showing her the clips:

Before:
Me: Please let me show you just a few..
Her: No.
Me: Please!!!
Her: No.
Me: Come on.
Her: Okay, fine. (sighs dramatically)

After:
Her: OMG!!!! Can we watch some more!
Me: Told you...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

July 25, 2013 9:08 am  #122

I watched TRF with my best friend yesterday. The good thing is that we could watch it in english because she is an american native speaker. She kind of fell in love with Moriarty. Can't blame her for that. But since she's also having Asperger's she could relate to Sherlock and even cried when he was crying on the rooftop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 25, 2013 4:28 pm  #123

That's so touching, Mary.
So you introduced your friend to Sherlock by STARTING with TRF? Interesting tactic...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 25, 2013 4:42 pm  #124

Oh Mary, how could you possibly start with this episode??? You'll have to give people time to fall in love with Moriarty before they'll have to watch how he dies! ;) But the story about your friend is just lovely and sad at the same time...

I like converting people to Sherlock. A few months ago I had the DVDs (I still haven't watched a single film on the internet because I just can't get used to it) of the first three episodes in my handbag so that if someone I was bothering about would show interest I could just hand them over - which I did about three times - it worked and never disappointed me! :D

Last edited by James Norrington (July 25, 2013 4:44 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

July 25, 2013 5:43 pm  #125

I've watched both Series 1 and 2 with my dad. First words out of his mouth when TRF finished?

"How did he survive?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 25, 2013 5:47 pm  #126

kittykat wrote:

I've watched both Series 1 and 2 with my dad. First words out of his mouth when TRF finished?

"How did he survive?"

Hehe . When I first watched TRF it was with my mother, I can't remember what the first words out of our mouths were...there weren't any for a while, I just remember much sobbing and tears. 

-------------------------------------------------------

July 25, 2013 5:56 pm  #127

kittykat wrote:

"How did he survive?"

Same with my Mom

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 25, 2013 5:59 pm  #128

Aww no. She knew Scandal and Hounds before. 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 25, 2013 6:03 pm  #129

I think he's looking forward to Series 3 almost as much as I am!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 26, 2013 11:18 am  #130

Your friend clearly has VERY good taste Mary Me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 26, 2013 12:13 pm  #131

Davina wrote:

Your friend clearly has VERY good taste Mary Me.

She would love you for this comment. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 27, 2013 12:05 am  #132

Yesterday I started converting a friend.  It was tough over the phone  and I could not just sit her down, show her the first episode and wait for her to beg for more ;)
But I am confident she will let me know if she watched it.
Sadly for me the best part of coverting is when I get to watch them watching the show.
I should invite her for a sherlock weekend

July 27, 2013 8:07 am  #133

Maggi13 wrote:

Yesterday I started converting a friend. It was tough over the phone and I could not just sit her down, show her the first episode and wait for her to beg for more ;)
But I am confident she will let me know if she watched it.
Sadly for me the best part of coverting is when I get to watch them watching the show.
I should invite her for a sherlock weekend

Oh, you really should. I'm planning myself to do so with my fellow mates at school who also like Sherlock. However, their obsession hasn't reached... the full level yet. I'm working on it.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 29, 2013 9:49 pm  #134

Oh my! 
I just recently converted a good friend of mine. 
Now he just checked back, watched season 1. 

Me: And?
Him: Ya, it is not bad. Could be improved.
Me: Ouch. Really? I love it. But you already know that.
Him: Needs more episodes. ;-)
Me: Good answer.

One down, a couple dozen still to go. 
I love this converting thing.

July 29, 2013 10:04 pm  #135

I got my mom, sister and friends to watch it.  I'm +4

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 16, 2013 1:03 pm  #136

Woot woot! I've FINALLY got my boyfriend to watch Sherlock! *dances*  And he ended up watching the first three episodes in a row...yep, I've hooked another one *evil laugh* 

August 17, 2013 2:06 am  #137

One of my co-workers just finished watching!   Am especially proud because this is a male co-worker who has enjoyed teasing me about my obsession with BC/Sherlock.  He said he only watched the first episode out of curiousity and couldn't believe how good it was.  He also said he has to admit BC is a fantastic actor.

Last night he watced TRF.  When he came in this morning he just walked up to my desk and said "Damn you."      

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 17, 2013 2:39 am  #138

tonnaree wrote:

One of my co-workers just finished watching!   Am especially proud because this is a male co-worker who has enjoyed teasing me about my obsession with BC/Sherlock.  He said he only watched the first episode out of curiousity and couldn't believe how good it was.  He also said he has to admit BC is a fantastic actor.

Last night he watced TRF.  When he came in this morning he just walked up to my desk and said "Damn you."      

*high five* 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (August 17, 2013 2:40 am)

August 17, 2013 7:38 am  #139

Yay!  Aniother victim...to join we miserable bunch of Sherlock addicts!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 24, 2013 12:05 pm  #140

OMG!!! Total success!  Just tonight I started watching ASiP with one of my friends, and she loved it so much that we're watching all of them tonight! We're watching THoB right now, and it is 5:02 in the morning!! She is loving it so much, and she ships John and Sherlock together too. Another complete success!!!!! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

Board footera