BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2013 2:04 pm  #101

Re: Converting your friends and family members

Well, I spent the last week end at my mum's and I'd brought my Sherlock dvds (only got into the fandom last month myself sooooo...) and suggested that we watch at least one episode, see if she enjoyed it (I was pretty sure she would)

And she actually did!

She asked me to watch a second one on the following evening and then said she couldn't wait for me to come back so that she could watch another episodes. I offered her to lend her my dvds but she said she'd prefer watching the show with me, as I tell her many anecdotes about the actors (she's got a huge crush on Martin ) , the books, the original version etc etc.

Funny thing is that she perfectly knows I've been a HUGE slash fan for more than 6 years, and she doesn't mind about that, but when I showed her Sherlock, I just said I shipped Johnlock and she usually knows that what I ship is not canon (like Castiel and Dean in Supernatural, or Draco and Harry in HP..etc) but there, after seeing the first 2 episodes, she told me:

"So? In which episode do they start going out?"
"Err... I'm afraid they'll never start going on, mum..."
(she looked disappointed, lol)
"Really? It's not going to happen? But... They have something going on between them, though, haven't they? I mean, it's so obvious! And sherlock looked so upset John had a girlfriend! And he told him that he was suggesting a date!!!"

ah ah... Not only did I convert her to Sherlock, maybe I converted her into Johnlock too! Perfect!

Just like old times...

May 19, 2013 2:11 pm  #102

Right now I'm watching Scandal with my best friend. I think she's liking it so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 19, 2013 2:19 pm  #103

Good job, you two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 19, 2013 3:50 pm  #104

Punch me in the face wrote:

"So? In which episode do they start going out?"
"Err... I'm afraid they'll never start going on, mum..."
(she looked disappointed, lol)
"Really? It's not going to happen? But... They have something going on between them, though, haven't they? I mean, it's so obvious! And sherlock looked so upset John had a girlfriend! And he told him that he was suggesting a date!!!"

LOL, perfect 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 26, 2013 8:42 pm  #105

It was my mom who introduced the series to me, but she's not sherlocked though. One time she told me, "Get into bed and stop fangirling!" Lol! She still likes it a bit. Two if my friends at school like it, My best friend Abigail and a boy named Finn. Neither of them are completely sherlocked,, but I am trying
with my other best friends Jasmine and Julia. Jasmine likes the Sherlock with Basil Rathbones in it, so I think I have a good chance with her. Hopefully I'll convert them both! (and others too!) ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

June 26, 2013 10:29 pm  #106

Watched Series 2 with my dad tonight (we watched Series 1 the other day). First thing he asked at the end of TRF was how Sherlock survived

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 2, 2013 11:05 am  #107

Last year I succeeded in converting my sister to watching Sherlock, she's a fan now. I'm glad, because at least she doesn't roll up her eyes at any my mention of Sherlock anymore  

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 2, 2013 12:46 pm  #108

I've been trying to get my boyfriend to watch this but he always refuses. How annoying!

Anyway, I tried again by telling him how clever the show is etcetera, etcetera, and mentioned that everything they have managed has been in a total of 9 hours and 6 episodes which is just amazing as other shows can have 20 episodes and never be as good.

Well, to my disbelief, he started to get interested because it's only 6 episodes to watch! Apparently, he didn't want to start watching another longwinded show but 6 episodes will do him just fine!

So, it looks like we will be watching it together soon....wahay! I've already let him know how excited I am to have him look forward to the next series with me, sat on the edge of my sofa in the minutes before it airs in anticipation....eeek!!

I would just like to point out the irony of him saying it's not another 'longwinded show'. It may only be 6 episodes but the wait for the 7th is very longwinded!

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 2, 2013 1:28 pm  #109

shouldbestudying wrote:

I have converted my Brother in Law, my sister was with me the whole time. He has been watching the repeats on BBC3 so he has only seen series 1. He rang me on Saturday night asking to borrow series 2 but I told him they would be airing this friday so he could watch then. So should this be in the obsessed thread as I won't let him borrow my DVD's as I know how bad he is in returning stuff?    It's his birthday on the 11th I wonder what I can buy him

Ha! Maybe it should be in the obsessed thread. I've thought about what I would do if someone asked to borrow my DVD's too. I couldn't possibly part from them. I'll probably stand there a clutch them to my chest refusing to let go.

The last DVD's I borrowed out I didn't get back for a year!

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 2, 2013 11:45 pm  #110

I've converted my husband easily enough but my subtle attempts to convert friends hasn't sucessed. 'Hey you should check out Sherlock," everytime I see them apparently isn't enough. Perhaps more serious measures are required... *evil laughter*

================================================================

July 4, 2013 4:55 am  #111

I watched the first episode that was unaired and was only 10min into it when my parents got home.  So I sat them down and continued it aaaaaaaaand.....well needless to say I have converted them ;D

July 4, 2013 4:58 am  #112

Michele wrote:

I've converted my husband easily enough but my subtle attempts to convert friends hasn't sucessed. 'Hey you should check out Sherlock," everytime I see them apparently isn't enough. Perhaps more serious measures are required... *evil laughter*

Invite them over for a lovely dinner, lock all the doors in the house, hide the keys, say the only way to leave is to find the keys by using their skills of deduction.  When they ask "Deduction"?  You sit them on the couch and turn on Sherlock.

Only when they learn what true deduction is and that you must not only see but observe...you can let them begin their search for the keys

July 4, 2013 5:16 am  #113

Chiblits wrote:

Michele wrote:

Invite them over for a lovely dinner, lock all the doors in the house, hide the keys, say the only way to leave is to find the keys by using their skills of deduction.  When they ask "Deduction"?  You sit them on the couch and turn on Sherlock.

Only when they learn what true deduction is and that you must not only see but observe...you can let them begin their search for the keys

I quite possibly like that idea a bit too much. It only takes what 9 hours to watch all the episodes? Plus a few hours to debate Reichenbach? I'll tell them to bring Pyjamas!

Last edited by Michele (July 4, 2013 5:19 am)

July 7, 2013 2:54 pm  #114

I finally got my work friend to watch it. I've been bugging her for ages. Now, not only is she hooked, she's converted her boyfriend, her sister, and her parents!!

Last night she came over and we watched Great Game and Scandal together. After Sherlock rescues Mrs. Hudson from the evil CIA dude, my friend sighed, "I know he says he's not a hero...but he's *my* hero." She was also quite jealous of Irene, and when Scandal was over she declared that had she was officially "in love with him." 

She's also a big fan of John. She had to work yesterday before she came over so I texted her pictures of them throughout the day. She replied to one of them that John "looks like such a little nugget cutie." I teased her that she loooooves him, and she said "I do. I just want to hug his little body." 

So, I call that a victory 

July 8, 2013 3:30 am  #115

Add my sister to the list.  Sent half my visit binge watching all six eps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 8, 2013 3:40 am  #116

tonnaree wrote:

Add my sister to the list.  Sent half my visit binge watching all six eps.

HA! Binge Watching. That's brilliant!

July 8, 2013 9:52 am  #117

I 'converted' three friends of mine, who even had the honor of me lending them my holy DVDs ;-) and they loved it, although they're not as obsessed as I am.

Still working on my brother and another friend, though - they haven't had time to watch them yet...

Is it just me, or do you guys also always worry a lot that somebody won't like it and say not-so-nice things about the show?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

July 8, 2013 10:32 am  #118

I don't worry about that. If they don't I know it is either because they have no taste, or no judgment, or both! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 8, 2013 10:36 am  #119

Haha, you're quite right on that, I have to say I should just let them go on watching poorly made TV shows and stuff...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

July 12, 2013 3:50 pm  #120

I think I got my dad hooked, he keeps asking me how Sherlock survived and I keep telling him that I don't know and we'll have to wait

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera