BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2013 11:59 am  #81

Re: Converting your friends and family members

SusiGo wrote:

I just convinced my editor - who already likes Sherlock very much - to buy the DVDs of PE and she loves it. The woman's got taste. 

A really good taste 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 3, 2013 5:55 pm  #82

I have two friends who aren't Sherlockians (2 7ths of the total). I haven't seen one in ages, and the other one refuses to be converted to any of my fandoms, and isn't in any already. It's getting quite hard to think of anything to talk to her about now!

Last edited by Sky Holt (May 3, 2013 5:56 pm)

Threatened with burning 'cos his stories were tall
Sherlock Holmes had a great fall
All Mycroft's horses and all Lestrade's men
Couldn't put John back together again

Get your salt and get your gun
An IOU apple? C'mon, you must think!
Let us go -- be ready to run
And remember -- above all -- DO NOT BLINK.

Warning: awkward newbie alert! I will be tenatively posting in random topics until I have established some kind of a rough presence. And then I will probabably continue doing so. You have been warned.

My first fanfic Crossover between Sherlock and AF

May 10, 2013 11:42 am  #83

Well, I have a lot to say about converting.
First, I let's say, convert one of my friend. She's watched Sherlock already(she watches a lot of series) and she likes it but hasn't been REALLY keen on. After we've started talking about Sherlock, she became more interested.
Later, with my roommate from the dormitory,I convinced about 10 people from the dorimtory. They watched Sherlock and really like it (some of them less, some of them more, but generally they enjoyed watching).
There came time to convince parents. Both of them read ACD works and watched some movies/series about  Sherlock and John, but not BBC's version. They like story connected with crime and have specific sense of humour, so I could forsee that they will like Sherlock. And they indeed DO.
And my biggest success-my best friend. I don't know why, but she was biased to BBC's Sherlock (but she  likes ACD stories and Ritchie's movies). And anytime I started talking about Sherlock she seemed to be bored. But I didn't stop, I put alusions to it anywhere I could, I sent her a lot of gifs (without major spoilers). And one day she said: OK, I'm going to start watching. She's watched and become Sherlockian.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

May 10, 2013 11:54 am  #84

Well done, Marheri!   

Btw, do you watch it in polish language?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 10, 2013 12:14 pm  #85

Well, I'm proud to say that when I watch alone, I don't have subtitles/lector and watch only in English, but when I've watched with somebody, we have had Polish subtitles (except of watching with my parents, they don't like them,so we had Polish lector).
And I was extremely proud, when my English teacher (extremely demanding woman) showed my English group first episode of Sherlock and I understand everything.  

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

May 10, 2013 12:19 pm  #86

Wow, you can be really proud of yourself 

What does lector mean?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 10, 2013 12:29 pm  #87

Well, I don't know appropriate word in English, but I means that one person (in Poland usually man) reads all dialogues. For me, it's worse than dubbing.

May 10, 2013 12:33 pm  #88

Sounds - a bit awkward to me... I have never heard of that option 

Awkward - unless Benedict does all the talking?   

Wonder how good his Polish is ...

May 10, 2013 12:52 pm  #89

It is used in Englsh. It is a reader or a lecturer. In church there is a lectern from which a lector reads. The idea of one person doing this the whole way through a film is bizarre but probably relatively inexpensive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2013 1:38 pm  #90

Davina wrote:

The idea of one person doing this the whole way through a film is bizarre but probably relatively inexpensive.

I think that fact that it's inexpensive makes films with lecturer so popular in Poland. But it's horrible, often lecturer speaks too quickly or in way you can't understand who is talking at the moment in the movie. Brrrr...And it's why a lot of my mates learn foreign languages-they love films, hate lecturer and don't like subtitles.

May 10, 2013 2:08 pm  #91

I can imagine! I don't mind sub-titles but I hate dubbing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2013 2:27 pm  #92

Davina wrote:

I can imagine! I don't mind sub-titles but I hate dubbing!

Lol, by me it's just the other way round

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 10, 2013 5:44 pm  #93

Oh, I experienced this lecturer thing in Latvia. Really, really horrible! One narrator reading out all the translated roles -  no matter if it was a man's or a woman's or a child's - with the original voices still audible in the background. In this case (it was an American feature film on Latvian TV): A Latvian lecturer along with Russian subtitles and audible original voices. After having watched it for some minutes I could have screamed! I think that's the reason why cinemas in Latvia are quite popular. They show the original films with (Latvian) subtitles but without that dreadful voice-over narrator.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 16, 2013 3:47 pm  #94

Converting my cat.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 16, 2013 4:29 pm  #95

Oh, it seems to be very interested. I should try that on my dog.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 16, 2013 4:41 pm  #96

Oh Lily, could you send me the link to that interview? Haven't seen this one. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 16, 2013 5:05 pm  #97

I can't seem to link you to it directly, but you can go to usatoday.com and search for 'Cumberbatch' - that should work. 

He is so lovely in this one! 

Last edited by Lily (May 16, 2013 5:05 pm)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 16, 2013 5:11 pm  #98

Thank you very much! I should try that on my cat too! 

*Yeah, he is, isn't he? 

Last edited by Mary Me (May 16, 2013 5:12 pm)

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 16, 2013 5:16 pm  #99

Lily wrote:

Converting my cat.

That is just great - and this picture is brilliant!!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 16, 2013 7:25 pm  #100

Mary - I'm not sure if you noticed the screencaps I posted of it in the Favorite Ben Pics thread (http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=71280#p71280), but I included a link there to the tumblr I found it on with the whole interview!

Oh, and love the pic, Lily!  Perfect 'share staring' shot!  :D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera