BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2012 2:07 pm  #41

Re: Converting your friends and family members

Well done, Harriet. Now you have to show her the Star Trek trailer. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 7, 2012 2:09 pm  #42

I won't tell here that her guess is that Sherlock will go insane being the person he is  ...    oh, I said it!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 7, 2012 2:10 pm  #43

I see. He will go insane after the fall and become a space villain threatening to destroy half the universe … 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 7, 2012 2:11 pm  #44

SusiGo wrote:

Well done, Harriet. Now you have to show her the Star Trek trailer. 

...maybe she then will be able to create a link between the ST voice over and the voice of Smaug?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 7, 2012 2:11 pm  #45

We also talked about StarTrek. She swears that she saw this actor in so many movies already - "now that I come to think of it".
Well, she didn't know the few ones I could recall 

SusiGo wrote:

I see. He will go insane after the fall and become a space villain threatening to destroy half the universe … 

LOL, about that!

Last edited by Harriet (December 7, 2012 2:20 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 7, 2012 2:14 pm  #46

I'd say she mixed him up but then his face is quite unique. I think most of his films aren't well-known over here. In the big ones like "War Horse" and "Atonement" he played minor parts. But you shouldn't give up hope.   

December 7, 2012 2:27 pm  #47

No, I won't, promise  Once I got Amazing Grace, I will give it a new try 
After all, among my friends, she is the only one who would talk about Sherlock for a little while, no one else shows the least interest.

December 7, 2012 2:45 pm  #48

Fine. Just a little warning - he's very good in "Amazing Grace", but you know, those wigs … well … 

December 7, 2012 2:50 pm  #49

Today, I made a brave attempt to talk my boss into watching Sherlock. Which was cause that my package from Amazon (which was delivered to my working place) ended up in the wrong storey. The superintendant's secretary opened it by mistake, being surprised to see that he obviously had ordered some Sherlock DVDs  (and a book by Susi ). She brought me the open package up the stairs and apologized.
My boss, seeing the contents of the package (all Christmas gifts, by the way!), expressed his concern at my well-known interest/hobby/obsession and made fun of me. And the Sherlock pics on my wall, of course. I did my best to advertise for "the best TV series in years", but I'm afraid he didn't really listen. He's a hard nut to crack I'm afraid. But I won't give up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 7, 2012 5:44 pm  #50

Right, tobe! We should never give up! 

My 2nd attempt today was when I noticed a sophisticated distant friend teaching his small son how to tie a scarf "the grown-up way".
I decided to give it a try and said: "That makes a nice Sherlock scarf!"
He looked at me with a smile that might be recognition but perhaps not.
(Well, I guess true Sherlockians would turn enthusiastic in his situation...)

December 7, 2012 6:13 pm  #51

You tell me... Since Sherlock I have an extra eye for a) Shherlock-like tied scarfs and b) Blue scarfs... I even started to count them... (not to mention coats...)

December 7, 2012 6:24 pm  #52

SusiGo wrote:

For I have returned to have my vengeance.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 7, 2012 6:34 pm  #53

Lelli wrote:

You tell me... Since Sherlock I have an extra eye for a) Shherlock-like tied scarfs and b) Blue scarfs... I even started to count them... (not to mention coats...)

I'm knitting a blue one right now.  I went to the shop to buy wool with a glossy picture of Sherlock  to get the right nuance of blue. And the old lady was truly impressed....by my handsome boyfriend 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 7, 2012 8:16 pm  #54

That old lady knows how to tell true beauty! 
Must have been a festive day for you. How great! 

December 7, 2012 8:53 pm  #55

tiharoa wrote:

Lelli wrote:

I'm knitting a blue one right now.  I went to the shop to buy wool with a glossy picture of Sherlock  to get the right nuance of blue. And the old lady was truly impressed....by my handsome boyfriend 

Well that would be a dream come true...
Old ladies in wool shops are funny ^^
Did you get the perfect nuance?
I think of knitting one too (as soon as I've finished my hat) but I don't know how to do the frays at the ends... :s

December 7, 2012 11:40 pm  #56

Do you mean the tassels? The fringe at the ends of the scarf? The easiest thing is to cut lengths of wool that are long enough when doubled. Get a crochet hook and hook them through. ... Just realised this is VERY easy to do but VERY hard to explain like this.

Put the hook through the cast on, or off stitch. Hook the loop of the piece of wool around the crochet hook and pull it a little way through. Then hook the remaining thread that is still the other side and pull it through.

That sounds really difficult but it is really easy.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 8, 2012 10:39 am  #57

I think I know what you mean... though my English knitting vocabulary is very poor...
I could consult my mom or grandma at sometime...
Project after Christmas presents: Sherlock scarf

December 8, 2012 12:30 pm  #58

Depends how artistic you want to be, here's a few pages to help[ you out.:

A simple guide to follow

A video to watch

And of course the final word from Martha Stewart

You can also make them without piece tied on near the top & simply loop it through.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 8, 2012 12:54 pm  #59

Kazza, you are a mind reader. I was  just going to post basically the same YouTube link.

Last edited by Davina (December 8, 2012 12:54 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 9, 2012 9:59 am  #60

Yesterday, we had a big family meet-up with baking Christmas cookies (Vanille Kipferl) and building a gingerbread house with nativity figurines. As there was enough of the dough left, everyone could produce what they wanted. Needless to say that I made some Smiley faces, 221Bs, IOUs and even hand cuffs. On seeing this, my son's girlfriend (who he apparently had been talking into watching Sherlock) suddenly said: "The bad thing with Sherlock is that I can't really enjoy any other TV crime series now. Sherlock's far too intelligent."
Another friend outside Germany whom I had provided with series 1 and 2, yesterday sent a message that he really liked it.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera