BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2012 8:18 pm  #21

Re: Converting your friends and family members

tiharoa wrote:

I'm working on my 12 years old niece at the moment. I know it sounds a bit desperate but we usually have very similar tastes, we laugh for the same things, have vacations together, go to concerts and exibitions.... Lord, this seems even worse but probably my niece is one of my closest friends . Anyway the main problem is that her English is not good enough yet to watch  the original version and the italian one it's abysmal and doesn't have italian subtext. At the moment we're watching the English dvd with me translating it.
I also gave a boxset to a friend last week, I was expecting an email in which he would go into raptures about it but I haven't heard from him since. How disappointing!

Telling from my experience, people will get hooked on their first viewing, or never.  At best they will like it. And: It's nearly impossible to develop an obsession by watching a dubbed version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 20, 2012 8:24 pm  #22

tobeornot221b wrote:

And: It's nearly impossible to develop an obsession by watching a dubbed version.

Oh, I wouldn't say that... In my case, it needed a little to sink in, but I was obsessed already when I started watching the original versions.
But agree, first viewing or never 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 21, 2012 8:00 am  #23

I definitely prefer subtitles to dubbing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 21, 2012 12:23 pm  #24

Davina wrote:

I definitely prefer subtitles to dubbing.

So do I. They dub nearly everything in Germany and it's very annoying when actors who are totally different from each other speak with the same voice. Besides Benedict's German voice is nothing like jaguar and cello. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 21, 2012 12:24 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 21, 2012 12:28 pm  #25

My son's German speaking girlfriend says the same.
When I watched the DVDs with them, she was happy to read the English subtitles...it was only then that I actually learned what Sherlock said, in some instances!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2012 6:03 pm  #26

SusiGo wrote:

Besides Benedict's German voice is nothing like jaguar and cello. 

It's more like tomcat and watering can.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 21, 2012 6:30 pm  #27

Yes, a bit watered down. And not sexy at all. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 22, 2012 1:09 pm  #28

I liked it on my first viewing, but it wasn't until after Reichenbach that I became obsessed.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 22, 2012 1:11 pm  #29

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I liked it on my first viewing, but it wasn't until after Reichenbach that I became obsessed.

I liked it on my first viewing of "Ein Fall von Pink", but it wasn't until after "A Study in Pink" that I became obsessed.
Wonder why...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 22, 2012 1:14 pm  #30

I got obsessive the moment I watched the first episode in English. To quote John Irving: You have to get obsessed and stay obsessed. 

November 2, 2012 9:40 pm  #31

I don't have too many friends, but my boss is also a BBC freak, so we share the Sherlock love. The main rub is that it's not on regular tv here and only seldom on PBS. It's easier for friends to just turn on Elementary, since it's on every week on network tv.. I've told them all, it's nowhere near the same thing. Then I tell them they can easily do the Netflix thing and get the real deal. It's a project that I'll just keep working on. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 17, 2012 10:40 am  #32

Husband has just asked whether we have the Sherlock series on DVD! Lol! It would appear that he wants to watch them!! Perhaps it was my sitting there comparing aspects of Elementary with Sherlock the other day that has encouraged this promising event. See...watching Elementary can have positive results for Sherlock.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 17, 2012 11:03 am  #33

This is so and it may also send people to The Canon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 17, 2012 11:38 am  #34

I told a friend last week that I'm a Sherlock fan. She had not heard about it, but she likes TV series in general. Maybe she'll watch it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

November 18, 2012 3:46 am  #35

I just showed Sherlock to my cousin for the first time. We watched Study and Banker, and we're in the middle of Game right now. She turned to me a minute ago and attempted to deduce things about me based on what I'm wearing. Success in Sherlocking my cousin ACHIEVED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

November 18, 2012 3:54 am  #36

Her roommate and friend in college just joined in on the deducing. My life is awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

December 7, 2012 1:40 pm  #37

It's a hard task, at times. My friend who had seen all episodes from my DVDs told me today:
"You know, I've seen this Hobbit trailer a few days ago. Great, isn't it? But I know I've seen this actor somewhere before, just can't recall where."
Me: "That's John. John Watson." She: "Oooooh, right!" 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 7, 2012 1:51 pm  #38

So, Martin as John didn't really make an impression on her.
Well...Harriet, you obviously do not take your converting task sufficiently seriously!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 7, 2012 2:01 pm  #39

Well, at least she then went into a vivid discussion of Sherlock's possible future development. 
Does that count?

December 7, 2012 2:04 pm  #40

It's a good approach - could be worse!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera