BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2012 1:18 pm  #1

Converting your friends and family members

Have you managed to get your friends and family into Sherlock too, or do they like it already? How successfull have you been at converting?

Personally, I don't actually have any friends, the only people I see in real life are my parents and my husband. My parents already like the show and they were the ones who told me I should watch it. Now I'm just starting to work on the other half...we are watching one episode each night, in order. Tonight it's The Blind Banker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 29, 2012 1:32 pm  #2

Re: Converting your friends and family members

Ahww, Sherlock, you have  many friends in the world wide web now. And you don't have to convert us, lol! We are here, because we are bitten by the Sherlock bug.
My husband watched SiP and Reichenbach with me. He really liked SiP; 'Reichenbach' we watched for analytical reasons, so we did not really relax. Have I converted him? Certainly not! He is  very disdainful of popular culture. A great mistake, as I realized again yesterday, when my foray into popular movie culture turned up yet another Rich Brooks nugget I will share with you guys tonight.

I will target my sisters and my best friends next. Being in Germany, it' a little difficult, since the Germad dvds aren't available yet, and not everyone of my friends is firm in English.

March 29, 2012 1:56 pm  #3

Well, I discovered Sherlock last January and by now I have converted three good friends and my brother. Anyway, they're not as hooked as I am... but they all have loved it and thanked me for bringing Sherlock into their lives.
I'll keep trying with the rest of my friends, though some of them are really difficult (they don't like films/shows that make you think, only purely entertaining, and they all watch movies dubbed... they will miss so much...)

Oh, I forgot... I've tried with my mother, who always liked ACD stories, Agatha Christie's, etc. She loves detective stories and films. But we have a problem... she thinks Benedict Cumberbatch looks weird because... he doesn't have eyelashes!! Oh, well, she is my mother so I have to forgive her... And there's something she finds annoying: he speaks too fast and is too rude. She says traditional Sherlock was not so rude. So I think the modern aspects of this series and all of the things we find so appealing in it are the ones that are taken her away from it... a curious thing 

Last edited by Irene_Adler (March 29, 2012 2:02 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 29, 2012 2:40 pm  #4

My mother didn't like it either. It was just too fast paced for her. She, though she is still very much alert, didn't get half of the things they were talking about and all the technical gadgets are strange to her. So the show probably is not so suitable for the older generation. And she did not like Sherlock's voice, but that was his German voice, of course.

March 29, 2012 2:50 pm  #5

It was my daughter, now aged 17, who first introduced me to the series. Even she, however, says that I'm a bit obsessed with it! Lol last time she was home we did watch all 6 episodes in order though at her instigation. My husband really enjoyed the latest series, especially Scandal (I cannot imagine why Lara) and The Reichenbach Fall. He even put it on again the other day.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 29, 2012 3:53 pm  #6

I'm trying my best to spread Sherlock Virus to my friend / strangers, well so far I've only got 3.
because Sherlock Holmes itself didn't really popular among teenager in my country, and then BBC1 didn't reach my country at all.

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 29, 2012 8:04 pm  #7

But if each of the three people you have converted each convert another three people...soon we shall take over the world!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 29, 2012 9:12 pm  #8

Sherlockians must rule the world!!

March 29, 2012 9:20 pm  #9

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sherlockians must rule the world!!

Obvious... 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 29, 2012 9:49 pm  #10

Elimentary!

March 30, 2012 12:14 am  #11

So we watched Blind Banker tonight...that went well...it's the turn of Great Game tomorrow, REALLY looking forward to that one...haven't seen it for ages.

March 30, 2012 1:57 am  #12

I've converted several people. Mostly my Who-watching colleagues & friends but others too through my never-ceasing posts about it (before I deleted Facebook). Not sure how many now. I think I was up to 4 or 5 last count? And have subsequently found other friends who are already watching it.

None of them are as interested (read: obsessed) as I am though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 14, 2012 10:43 am  #13

Well my dad likes it, he’s read the books and most of the original films and programmes including the current BBC drama.  I don't know about my mum and my brother? I haven’t got a clue!

My friends are into Vampires, cartoons and such… Not Sherlock. Unfortunately! 

-Y.S.H

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 22, 2012 3:20 am  #14

I already watch the show with my parents and I try to convert my friends, but they aren't interested. Well, nobody even knows what is Sherlock, maybe because there is no publicity to announce it -_-. But, I continue to try and maybe one of them will be curious and will watch it. At least I hope : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

May 19, 2012 10:29 pm  #15

Sherlocked my mum and a friend already! Another friend is currently watching the second season in German TV, so let's see how that's going...
Watched the first season with my sister on DVD. She liked it but I'm not sure yet how much really..
It's kinda hard because the other person has to WANT it.
As for my other friends is see no hope at all - they wouldn't even appreciate such a fine piece of TV, sadly ;)
But I guess that's at least 3-4 people and for me, who is not persuasive at all, that's quite a good result, haha.

October 15, 2012 4:38 am  #16

I've almost hooked my closest friend but we'll have to see. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 17, 2012 3:30 pm  #17

My life is great!

I´m giving privat English lessons to a student who has to do the TOEFL-test next year. He´s asked me if I could recomend a British TV show he should watch to improve his English last week. Obviously, I recommended Sherlock.
Today he returned for the next lesson, telling me he has watched all 6 episodes allready, and we spent 90 minutes discussing (in English, of course) the faked suicide, the Sherlock/John relationship, what kind of parents would end up with two sons like Mycroft and Sherlock, how long it will be for season 3 to be aired, and, and, and...
And the best about it: I got PAID for talking about all my favourite subjects. 

Soooo great!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 17, 2012 6:15 pm  #18

Schmiezi, lucky you! 

I know a few people who LIKE Sherlock. At least! 

My nice and reasonable bookseller told me that she is not really fond of it. 
Reason why? No interesting women roles, just boys...
Also, she wonders why so many women are enthralled by BC.
That was a tough moment - but I'm getting over it 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 17, 2012 6:21 pm  #19

I don't know about converting, but I have mentioned it to several peopel who have gone on to watch and like it. If they are as obsessed as I am, they're not telling.

I wish Sherlock had been on TV here last time I taught for the TOEFL!

October 20, 2012 8:05 pm  #20

I'm working on my 12 years old niece at the moment. I know it sounds a bit desperate but we usually have very similar tastes, we laugh for the same things, have vacations together, go to concerts and exibitions.... Lord, this seems even worse but probably my niece is one of my closest friends . Anyway the main problem is that her English is not good enough yet to watch  the original version and the italian one it's abysmal and doesn't have italian subtext. At the moment we're watching the English dvd with me translating it.
I also gave a boxset to a friend last week, I was expecting an email in which he would go into raptures about it but I haven't heard from him since. How disappointing!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

Board footera