BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 1:30 pm  #61

Re: Too many references?

" but this first episode was full of it and it DID ridicule the fanbase."

Why would Moffat and Gatiss intentionally ridicule their bread and butter?  The people who made the show such a success and put them where they are?

And the "plot" of the first episode was how will John and Sherlock come back together.  Everything else was window dressing.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 13, 2014 1:39 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 13, 2014 1:38 pm  #62

Well, it was not a fanfic-group, it was a group founded by Anderson of people who believe that Sherlock still lives...
I still have "mixed feelings" about all those hints. There may be nods to the fandom people don't get - but it's the same with nods to the canon. A lot of them I only understood afterwards, when they have been explained to me. Still it didn't "put me off" the show. Just the opposite, I think.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 13, 2014 1:40 pm  #63

Kazza, I always thought that this forum was for people who love this show. Of course one may voice criticism and many have done that with which I am absolutely fine.
What I do not appreciate, however, is your condescending way towards groups of fans here on the board or out there in the Net. Last night I went to such a fangirly meeting with nine very people and had a lot of fun. And this is exactly what this here is about for me. Having fun and a good discussions with people from all over the world. 
And we should not forget that the Holmes fandom has been writing pastiches for ages which is a sort of fanfic and a creative and sometimes brilliant way of dealing with your love for ACD canon. 
I would appreciate it very much if you could to stop behaving in this manner. Thank you. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 13, 2014 1:41 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 13, 2014 1:49 pm  #64

tonnaree wrote:

Why would Moffat and Gatiss intentionally ridicule their bread and butter?  The people who made the show such a success and put them where they are?

I am referring to the online fanbase and if you believe that small percentage of viewers 'made the show a success and put them where they are' then again I refer you back to the boat quote.
All the online fanbase did was lap it up, the creators, actors & production team are the only ones who can claim any rights to success for S1 & 2. Industry awards were won, those awards are in no way influenced by the fan base online or otherwise or any viewership stats. There were several awards last year where the industry voted  ones Vs the public voted ones showed some variation. I predict that this series will show a massive variation between the 2 types of awards. Let's wait & see shall we?

And the "plot" of the first episode was how will John and Sherlock come back together.  Everything else was window dressing.

Maybe that is how some wanted it to be, but I do recall Moran and a bomb at some stage?????

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 13, 2014 1:56 pm  #65

SusiGo wrote:

Kazza, I always thought that this forum was for people who love this show. Of course one may voice criticism and many have done that with which I am absolutely fine.
What I do not appreciate, however, is your condescending way towards groups of fans here on the board or out there in the Net. Last night I went to such a fangirly meeting with nine very people and had a lot of fun. And this is exactly what this here is about for me. Having fun and a good discussions with people from all over the world. 
And we should not forget that the Holmes fandom has been writing pastiches for ages which is a sort of fanfic and a creative and sometimes brilliant way of dealing with your love for ACD canon. 
I would appreciate it very much if you could to stop behaving in this manner. Thank you. 

I'm sorry for you that you do not nor never have liked the way I type. Your translation of my words as condescending however is a mistake.
Yes, I am critical of the third series, is that against the rules now?
I do note that many of my posts have been followed by yourself & the other mod, what a welcome back that is!
However I would appreciate if you have any problems with my posts that, as a mod, you either direct them to Admin if you don't feel up to handling it yourself, or at least take advantage of the Inbox feature we all have. It really does interupt the flow of the forum and I have so much to catch up on after my hiatus.

I am sure if there is a problem, Admin will contact me about it. She knows where I am.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 13, 2014 2:09 pm  #66

I feel sad that you're trying to mess with our mods, Kazza.
They did a great and not always simple job during the last months.
Thanks to them, it's always been fun to come here.
Don't spoil it, please!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 13, 2014 2:14 pm  #67

kazza474 wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I am referring to the online fanbase and if you believe that small percentage of viewers 'made the show a success and put them where they are' then again I refer you back to the boat quote.
All the online fanbase did was lap it up, the creators, actors & production team are the only ones who can claim any rights to success for S1 & 2. Industry awards were won, those awards are in no way influenced by the fan base online or otherwise or any viewership stats. There were several awards last year where the industry voted ones Vs the public voted ones showed some variation. I predict that this series will show a massive variation between the 2 types of awards. Let's wait & see shall we?

Maybe that is how some wanted it to be, but I do recall Moran and a bomb at some stage?????

I am proud and happy of the awards and artistic recognition that Sherlock has won and yes, all that goes to the creative team.  However, a piece of television entertainment can win all the awards in the world but it won't last past one season if it does not have an audiance.  This is sadly proven by the amount of crap that stays on for years because for some strange reason people love it.

It seems to me that Moffat and Gatiss have a great deal of appreciation for the "obssessed" segment of their Sherlock fandom.  They attend Comic Con, they tweet at us.  They obviously enjoy trolling us but it feels affectionate.   Regardless of what boat I am in.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 13, 2014 2:57 pm  #68

I'm very happy with the mods we are having now.

They do it not exactly the way you did it, kazza, before you left, true.
But that's no reason to act so aggressively towards them now, imho.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 13, 2014 4:18 pm  #69

Harriet wrote:

Please, I really don't need input from other sources.
A little research always goes a long way before you start accusing people of acting aggressively.
I don't have that many posts since coming back. But my 'style' of posting , if that's what we need to call it has never varied so I fail to see anyone feels the need to jump on my every word.
I'm quite happy that Davina has other mods to help her, my life changed dramatically & I could no longer even come here for a long time. But mods cannot start dictating what people think.
Once again, it is in the hands of Admin, leave it at that as it really doesn't concern anyone else.
And do not fret, I won't be around that much anyway.
Thank you.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 13, 2014 9:10 pm  #70

Back to the question posed at the start. Were there too any references? In my personal opinion, I think there were a few too many. There is nothing wrong with having some subtle nods but writers need to exercise control of how many to include. This is, admittedly, not an easy task. The result of what, at times, felt like theories that have been booted about for the last year or so (bearing in mind when the episode was written & filmed) were being slotted in every so often through the episode.

This must have been a difficult episode to write however (Mark Gatiss seems to get these ones, or are the problems of his own creation? Just putting that out there, I am not saying it necessarily is).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 13, 2014 10:37 pm  #71

kazza474 wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Please, I really don't need input from other sources.
A little research always goes a long way before you start accusing people of acting aggressively.
I don't have that many posts since coming back. But my 'style' of posting , if that's what we need to call it has never varied so I fail to see anyone feels the need to jump on my every word.
I'm quite happy that Davina has other mods to help her, my life changed dramatically & I could no longer even come here for a long time. But mods cannot start dictating what people think.
Once again, it is in the hands of Admin, leave it at that as it really doesn't concern anyone else.
And do not fret, I won't be around that much anyway.
Thank you.

Hi Kazza. It's nice to have you back, but in the short time since your return, I have already had four separate complaints about your tone, behaviour and manner clogging up my inbox. If you were just an ordinary member with a handful of posts I probably would have banned you based on the number of complaints (considering it's the highest I've ever had about anyone - normally it's just one person complaining about one other person and I can mediate between the two).

It's fine to have differences of opinion and of course it's not compulsory to like the show. I have made several remarks in various threads where I've criticised moments of this Series, particularly Episode 1 which I wasn't that much of a fan of. There is, however, a difference between constructive criticism whilst having respect for others' opinions and trampling all over other peoples opinions and assuming that yours are correct, which is sometimes how your posts come across. If you no longer like the series, then why have you come back to post about it? Just to wind us all up?

Your criticism seems to be so extreme that you literally are struggling to find anything good to say and it's clearly upsetting some of the people on this forum. If four people came forward to complain it's likely there are others who didn't feel confident enough to come forward and this concerns me. The forum has been a very relaxed and happy place in recent months and I don't want the mood soured by any bad feelings between members.

I view the Sherlockian fandom as one big happy family where we all support each other and get along regardless of which episode is our favourite or whether we prefer that theory or the other theory and so on. If you look down on some members of the fandom with disdain then there really is no place for that here. It doesn't matter if you're a 14 year old fan fic Johnlock obsessive who's never read a word of the canon and has been desperate for them to bring Moriarty back....or a 65 year old life long Sherlockian scholar who knows the canon inside out and still thinks Jeremy Brett was the slightly better Holmes. We are sharing our love and appreciation for this series - BBC Sherlock - and everyone is welcome here without any pressures or rules.

The reason I'm posting this big long essay in the post and completely taking us off topic for a moment is because I wanted the people who issued a complaint to see that I'm actively trying to sort this out and mediate without directly going ahead and taking sides one way or another. I've always appreciated some of your insightful posts and I share your love of the canon in a big way. Personally, I've never found your posts offensive but that's because I have a thick skin and it's really incredibly hard to offend me over anything. However, I can totally understand why some others might, and in a community environment like this, peoples' views need to be listened to.

That is all I have to say on the matter and I would invite you to PM me if you wish to discuss it further.

Thanks

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 14, 2014 9:14 am  #72

Dear Boss,
I think I have just fallen in love with you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 14, 2014 2:24 pm  #73

Boss is a class act.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 14, 2014 10:27 pm  #74

My first log-in in quite some time, though I've "browsed" on and off for awhile. Glad there actually is something new to discuss (sorry, I just got a little bored...).

My sole purpose for logging in was to address kazza, and I'd rather say this for everyone to see.

kazza, perhaps you don't really care, but you've been missed. You certainly have much to offer to this forum, through your knowledge of the canon of Conan Doyle, pithy and often keen insights into the "truth" behind matters, and unwillingness to accept "fluff" in the place of substance.

But surely it must be evident to you that your way of writing is offensive to many here. For you to continue to ignore it is unwise and sad. I agree with what others have hinted at, that you should be banned if you continue to write in such a devisive way. There simply is no call for it. What you call directness is actually just plain rudeness and obvious disdain.

You must at least to some degree understand that there are those here that share similar interests as you do, or else you would never have joined, nor would you have come back. Why will you not listen to their words of admonition and spend a few moments in front of the mirror asking yourself, "Hey, is it me after all?"? (The answer is 'yes', by the way.)

I'd hate to see you go (again), but please don't continue to disparage those you don't even know who have come here for the same reason you have--to express your love and enthusiasm for the characters of Sherlock Holmes and his modern-day equivalent, Sherlock.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

January 14, 2014 10:50 pm  #75

Well, at the risk of going against the current party line, I actually don't disagree with much that Kazza has raised in this thread. The style of delivery is, as ever, a problem and as Tantalus has suggested, perhaps Kazza you need to give some thought to that, particularly given a large proportion of our members are not native English speakers. Tone in a text-based communication medium is very important and whilst your views are often insightful and invite debate, they also often, as the Boss has said, come across very "My opinion is right and the rest of you are idiots".

Having said that, and getting us slightly back on topic, I must admit that whilst I was amused by all the fandom nods in the first episode on first watch, I was then concerned, as others have said, that it might alienate the casual viewer.

However, when I watched it a second time I realised that most of those things will either go over their heads or do fit in with the general feel of the episode. Maybe the fake theories will seem strange to casual viewers but I think the rest of it will be fine.

TEH was my least favourite episode in Season 3, and there is always one (S1 was TBB and S2 was Hounds, for me). As others have said, the first episode was primarily about the relationship between John and Sherlock. Gatiss has always said he found Watson's reaction entirely unrealistic (he faints and then it's business as usual, really?) and that he wanted to explore that more.

I've also seen it somewhere that Sherlock is not a detective show, it's a show about a detective (I think that's also a Gatiss comment but don't quote me on that). I think that's what makes it so different from other adaptations and other crime drama on tv right now. It focusses on the characters and relationships and their development and that's really what I love about it.

Now, on to concerns about the viewers - if you look at the ratings statistics, the BBC is currently so ecstatic about the popularity of the show (13 million viewers for the first episode, and similar numbers for the subsequent two) that they are putting pressure on Hartswood to have Season 4 out by Christmas. I don't think we've anything to worry about in terms of loss of viewers or stagnation of the fanbase.

I know those of us in the fandom think that a lot of what was in this first episode was aimed at us, but in fact that's not necessarily the case. If you go back to canon (which is really where this all comes from) Sherlock Holmes was killed off by ACD and he intended for him to stay dead. He hated that the Holmes stories were his most popular work and believed his other works to be more worthy. He only brought him back thanks to the fans of the Strand who clamoured for more Holmes stories for three years.

I know the Empty Hearse group headed by Anderson was a very modern look at fandom, but it's not a new thing with regards Sherlock Holmes. There was a fandom even in ACD's day and therefore I don't think it's out-of-universe to address that in the show.

So...were there too many obvious fandom references? Perhaps, but I don't think those not-of-fandom will necessarily recognise them as such, and I don't think those references were non-canon-compliant. Was this the return episode we were hoping for? Not for many, no. The fact that they opted out of giving a definitive answer to his faked death was both clever and a cop-out to me. Does this spell the end of the BBC Sherlock adaptation as being one of the more intelligent, witty, thorough and dense dramas on television? No, most definitely not.

We are thoroughly spoiled by Sherlock. I went and watched old episodes of Buffy last night to get a bit away from the Sherlock stuff rolling around in my head. You watch a show like that and you automatically suspend disbelief. You recognise that not everything you see is going to seem plausible or realistic. The plot holes are enormous. When you watch a show like Sherlock, though, we've been lead to a much higher expectation of it and whilst that says a lot for how incredibly well done the show is, it's also a shame as it leads to unnecessary and unfair criticism. At the end of the day, it's fiction and it's drama and it's a television show. Not everything is going to be 100% realistic or plausible. The people who create the show are human so there are going to be errors, or things done in poor judgement. However, the plot holes, implausibilities and "there for the sake of plot" are few and can, if we choose, be overlooked for the sake of enjoying the show.

I would encourage those who struggled to enjoy season 3 to watch the episodes again with your critical glasses off, with your expectations outside, and just watch it for the enjoyable drama it is. It might give you a new perspective on it. There really is little to complain about.

(Sorry that turned into a bit of an essay)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 15, 2014 2:55 am  #76

Can we please get this thread back on topic now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 15, 2014 7:32 am  #77

back on topic:

Did someone watch the episode in the company of "non-fans" friends? I think we all can barely judge if there are too many references or not. I would be very interested in the opinion of other viewers.
(Hubby refuses to watch it with me until the dubbed version is out, so I can only ask him in June.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 15, 2014 9:28 am  #78

Yes, I did. And after the first viewing hubby liked that episode more than I.  And hubby is a fan, but no fangirl. Thank god he knows nothing about fanfiction   

January 15, 2014 9:31 am  #79

I was watching THE with my friend who saw all the episodes only once, liked them and that's all. She found the fake theories really funny and not weird at all even before I explained her what they mean.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 15, 2014 9:32 am  #80

Wholocked wrote:

I would encourage those who struggled to enjoy season 3 to watch the episodes again with your critical glasses off, with your expectations outside, and just watch it for the enjoyable drama it is. It might give you a new perspective on it. There really is little to complain about.

Hubby told me something similar. "You all are such big fans now and made up all those theories over the last two years and have been analyzing.... and your expectations are SO high now that you almost have lost the ability of simply enjoying it!"

Board footera