BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 3:09 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock's Parents

Whilst not posh; or upper class, they do look middle class or upper middle class. Certainly the clothes they wear say middle class or retired professional.
As for the 'coach', many older/retired people enjoy the midweek/long weekend breaks by coach. Many are quite expensive; particularly London, and are based around stays in 4 or 5 star hotels. They are also in their 70s so driving any distance would be a chore.
And their eldest would certainly be on a large salary, with plenty of perks; including a 'grace and favour' mansion. I don't doubt that he takes care of any financial 'worries' they might have.

January 4, 2014 3:13 pm  #22

not all rich people wear luxury clothes and enjoy "posh" lifestyle. honestly, with children like Mycroft and Sherlock, one could just love being ordinary....  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 4, 2014 4:06 pm  #23

Now, that I think about it... as a muse about it, I love the idea of their parents being ordinary and the idea of Mycroft and Sherlock being these geniuses that get the best education their parents could give with what they have... It does bring up some funny and heartwarming moments in my mind. XD

January 4, 2014 8:24 pm  #24

I don't know if this is a bit of over analysis...
There are instances of very ordinary parents having quite exceptional kids...
But I dunno, maybe they started to work aboad and so the boys were dumped in boarding school and only had each other...perhaps before that they'd been isolated in the countryside or something.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2014 8:39 pm  #25

Swanpride: I don´t have a feeling Sherlock or Mycroft implying they´ve had a bad childhood. I think there´s a great amount of rivalry between them, but it could have risen during their adolescence /in the boarding school for exceptional children?/ so I wouldn´t blame parents - remember the way they are talking about things that "made mummy upset". and they are both socio/psycho..paths, so I can imagine them refusing to spend or even celebrate Christmas and all those stupid things..  

Last edited by Mrs.Wenceslas (January 4, 2014 8:46 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 4, 2014 8:41 pm  #26

Amen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2014 8:52 pm  #27

But again, I know some very ordinary parents who home school their kids.

January 4, 2014 9:00 pm  #28

Ok, try another tack.
They wouldn't legally have to be in school til 5.
Super precocious kids, already bright enough to think and articulalte, well read...
Tho I appreciate this doesn't account for the age difference between the boys.

January 4, 2014 9:02 pm  #29

I can imagine those two kids just not want to play or interact with other children..?

January 4, 2014 9:03 pm  #30

Yep and maybe when they went away to school they had to.

January 4, 2014 9:09 pm  #31

Possible.

January 4, 2014 9:15 pm  #32

I've always imagined them living in the country, somewhere isolated. Perhaps in a very small village where it's mainly old people or retired couples and there literally are no children around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2014 11:14 pm  #33

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Whilst not posh; or upper class, they do look middle class or upper middle class. Certainly the clothes they wear say middle class or retired professional.
As for the 'coach', many older/retired people enjoy the midweek/long weekend breaks by coach. Many are quite expensive; particularly London, and are based around stays in 4 or 5 star hotels. They are also in their 70s so driving any distance would be a chore.
And their eldest would certainly be on a large salary, with plenty of perks; including a 'grace and favour' mansion. I don't doubt that he takes care of any financial 'worries' they might have.

nope. disagree about the clothes.  I don't think you can tell that much from a British person's clothes anyway. 

If they were as rich as Sherlock and Mycroft act then they would NOT be going on a midweek coach break package hotel deal. They would probably either fly or train to London. The point of those midweek breaks is that they are cheap. 

Yes, they might be rich but immensely frugal but...I don't get that impression. I don't think that's what the writers are trying to communicate, especially with John's line about them being ordinary. They are normal, ordinary, lower or middle class probably, and hence like the overwhelming majority of Britons. 

I'd point out that they are almost certainly financially comfortable now anyway, given how wealthy Mycroft is. So their clothes etc will be "nice", that doesn't tell us much. But they do buy a lottery ticket and they do travel on the coach. To me,those are things of habit.

I guess you see what you want to see here. For me.,  I am seeing a real effort to stretch our assumptions about the Holmes brothers, to make them from an ordinary background, to make us wonder what exactly happened, and I think that's pretty amazing. Best bit of the show for me :-)

Re the "other children" comment. I wondered about that too, but them being rich or not doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Even rich British kids don't have governnesses these days ;-). The ONLY explaination I can think of is that this Mycroft is not seven years olfer than Sherlock. But i don't think this works generally not least that there looks to be seven years or more between the actors. And there's the "I'll be mother" comment which makes a lot less sense in the context of them having had a loving, present mother. Unless its another classy dig at his sexual preferences...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 4, 2014 11:30 pm  #34

As for "I'll be mother":

IMO Sherlock alludes to his brother assuming authority over him. Not because they did not have a loving mother but because he wanted to control his little brother. That he behaved in a dominant way we can also glean from the "idiot" comments by Sherlock during the Operation game. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2014 12:32 am  #35

shylock wrote:
But why were they not included in Sherlocks list of those he cares for and on the hit list? At least equal to if not above his landlady

I think because Sherlock doesn't count his parents as his friends, nor really Molly, either.  The hit list was to take out Sherlock's three friends--the people he was closest to.  I never got the impression he was close to his parents; in this episode, it's more like he puts up with them because he has to, just because they are his parents.  As for Molly, I think he respects he as a professional but he didn't see her as a friend.  Though maybe after she helped him in TRF, he revised his opinion.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (January 5, 2014 12:33 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 1:33 am  #36

I don't know how things are in the UK, but for what I've read I imagine that Sherlock's parents could be middle (lower middle?) class people who became wealthy enough to send their sons to a public school.
I've known people who come from humble origins and have made money through commerce that gave them the opportunity to send their children to private schools. Although the parents keep much of their "lower class" ways (the kind of music they listen to, their simple way of dressing, etc,) the children adopt the ways of their upper class classmates. I imagine something like this could be the case of the Holmeses.

January 5, 2014 8:23 am  #37

I dion't think any of that was at issue, I take all of the above to be a givern.
I think it's the being kept from other children that was the stumbling block for some.
Living in the country with a home tutor, may be the only explanation!
If we take it Mycroft is 4-5 years older than Sherlock: maybe they both got put in boarding school when Mycroft was 11-12, just as he started secondary school. Sherlock would be 7-8, just going into the 'juniot' section of primary school.

Last edited by besleybean (January 5, 2014 8:23 am)

January 5, 2014 8:34 am  #38

Would it be unusual for the children to be home schooled or have a tutor if they are demonstrably ahead of their age-mates in school? Surely if they have always been brighter than their peers that would have been apparent and regular schooling wouldn't have worked for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 5, 2014 8:56 am  #39

State schools are legally obliged to cater for all abilities of child.
I was thinking more if they had been classified as having some kind of sepcial need?

Last edited by besleybean (January 5, 2014 8:57 am)

January 5, 2014 11:41 am  #40

The only other thing I can think of is if they were all abroad somewhere and there was no English language school, in which case a home tutor may be appropriate,

Board footera