BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2014 12:14 pm  #21

Re: Hamlet

I know sometimes a lot of Actors won't talk about future projects until they're absolutely confirmed for fear of "jinxing it"
When he pulled out of Crimson Tide, his people did say that it wasn't because of other work projects so maybe it was because of the script, although Tom Hiddlestone is now filming it, so it can't be that bad?
I also think Benedict has become quite careful about talking about his plans - i can understand that,
I don't know if it's equally as hard to find out about the future work plans of other Actors in this way or not though.

Last edited by Tinks (February 26, 2014 12:16 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 26, 2014 12:32 pm  #22

When I joined the Cumbercollective many of his recent films had already been fixed I suppose. But for example I cannot remember this much secrecy around The Fifth Estate. It was just announced some day, same as TIG. At the moment I only remember the secrecy around Khan but that was the part, not the film as such. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2014 12:41 pm  #23

Maybe it's because he has such a large following now and people are looking for news of upcoming projects, where before we were happy to remain unknowing until something was announced.
Plus last year was a very very busy year - he had lots of work being released at once - he would get bigger roles now so wouldn't be able to work on so many projects in one year - maybe only one or two?
(He'll also have to allow some time for promotional work for TIG)
IF Hamlet is still happening and The Lost City of Z goes ahead, then that might genuinely be all he has time for this year? (Unless he squeezes in Star Wars, too - but I'm not so sure about this)
Maybe his people see no need to make announcements until firm dates are set for filming/performing?
Most West End Plays are not formally announced until a few months before production, for instance.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 26, 2014 12:45 pm  #24

Of course you are right. I am greedy.  It is just that we have to wait so long until we will see him in something new. There will be nothing until the end of the year in case Hamlet does not happen this fall. I fear I will have to watch my DVDs over and over again.  

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2014 12:51 pm  #25

Oh I know what you mean.
I think he's incredibly selfish to deprive us of seeing him in action for so long

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 26, 2014 4:01 pm  #26

Or maybe they are secretly filming S4 of Sherlock already?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 26, 2014 6:52 pm  #27

nakahara wrote:

But look at his hair! 

February 26, 2014 8:35 pm  #28

SusiGo wrote:

nakahara wrote:

But look at his hair! 

He will wear a wig? Or CGI hair? Or he will be in disguise? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 26, 2014 9:33 pm  #29

CGI Sherlock hair?!?  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We must have the real thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 27, 2014 10:39 am  #30

I have been looking forward to visit London and see Hamlet in 2014. Maybe later then.

February 27, 2014 10:47 am  #31

If you think about it, they can't guess at dates until they actually have them for just that reason - people will book flights and hassle ticket agencies and box office months in advance of the tickets actually going on sale!!
I'd think that's another reason why they're being careful not to give a specific time yet - not until people are actually able to book for it, I would think.
I just hope I'm lucky enough to get some tickets once they're available!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 13, 2014 11:04 am  #32

I think Benedect will be able to play a 57-year-old quite easily. I think he looks older than his 37 years anyway.  I think Lost City of Z is most likely this year because it's being produced by Brad Pitt - and Ben did sit right next to Pitt and Jolie at the Oscars - which makes me think the film is a go.  I read somewhere that it was to start filming in April in Morocco.  I swear I did read that!  And if he does indeed do Hamlet later this year, that will round out the year for him. And he'll have The Imitation Game coming out this year as well.  Perhaps not as much as he has done in past years, but enough to keep his profile in the public view.

Last edited by kaye (March 13, 2014 11:04 am)

March 13, 2014 11:11 am  #33

Don't want to take away your hopes but I'm quite sure he was sitting next to Brad Pitt at the Oscars because it was all about Twelve Years A Slave. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (March 13, 2014 11:11 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 13, 2014 11:28 am  #34

Yeah, Pitt was involved in 12AS - plus I think it was Blood Mountain that was to be filmed in Morrocco, and that's not happening now
I don't think he looks older than 37 at all, but they can age him on screen with good make up; it's gone very quiet on filming Lost City of Z though.
I must admit that I'm now thinking Hamlet won't happen until after TIG is released, because I think he'll be required to do loads of promo work for that film - so that might be why they're now saying 2015
I'd say he has until October/November to announce he's filming something this year - then I think his time will be completely taken up with promoting TIG, simply because so much money has been put up for it.
It must be an incredibly frustrating time for him, having no clear schedule

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 13, 2014 11:28 am  #35

kaye wrote:

I think Benedect will be able to play a 57-year-old quite easily. I think he looks older than his 37 years anyway. 

You think Ben looks older than 37?!?!    
I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 13, 2014 11:30 am  #36

Yeah I really don't think he looks older at all - sometimes he looks tired or he's caught in very bright lights, which do no favours to any of us , but most of the time I think he looks quite youthful

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 13, 2014 11:32 am  #37

Agreed! Older than his real age? I heard a few times he looked younger on certain pictures, but older...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 13, 2014 4:59 pm  #38

At the Oscars people don't choose where they sit and yes, it was all the 12 Years a Slave 'crew' together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 13, 2014 10:41 pm  #39

Regarding Ben's looks, I had a post about this in the "Benedict Apprecation" thred.  I have been watching "The Last Enemy", a PBS series that was filmed in 2007 and released in 2008. Gosh, Ben could not have been more than 30 or 31 years old in this, and I could just not get over his cute baby face. He just looked adorable, and unlike the actor I thought I knew.  I think he has changed a lot in the intervening seven years - he does look older to me.  I am not saying this like it's a bad thing,   Heck, we all get older.  If you saw my pictures when I was 31 and look at me now,  you'd say "What the heck happened to you"?? LOL!   But my changes have come over a twenty-year span, and I just think his aging happned over a shorter period - NOT to say I think he looks 52 or anything like that - or that he doesn't look good. He just looks different. He doesn't look like young man anymore, he looks more mature.  That's all I am saying.

And, I stand corrected, he probably was sitting with Brand and Angelina at the Oscars because of 12 Years a Slave. I was just reading too much into it - wishful thinking on my part.

March 13, 2014 10:54 pm  #40

I take your point about him maturing, but I honestly don't think he's matured any more than you'd expect him to in 6 or 7 years - plus his face is very changeable according to his weight, his expression, harsh lighting etc., sometimes even the make up used for certain scenes.
I truly don't think he looks older than he is; sometimes I think he even looks younger.
But it's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose - he's always gorgeous anyway

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

Board footera