BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 2:27 pm  #21

Re: The new baddie at the end and why he did it *SPOILERS?*

I don't think that what CAM thinks about his own status is relevant to its actuality. He is 'THE KING OF BLACKMAILERS' and therefore by inference a 'King of Criminals'.

Does your statement mean that you don't think that the person viewing the multiple monitors is CAM?

If you refer to Sidney Paget's illustration of CAM in 'CHARLES AUGUST MILVERTON' you will see a definite likeness to the features in the episode in question.

I would really like peoples opinions about the fact that the underground monitor's show the abbreviation CAM, if it has a double meaning for our anti-hero I think its very clever in its subtlety.

Any takers.   

John S Watson

John Smythe-Watson
There is no such thing as a perfect crime. Everything can be solved in Time.
The Time Detective

January 4, 2014 2:32 pm  #22

Its no magnificant clue. But classically CAM refers to Sherlock as Mr. Holmes.

John S Watson

Last edited by John Smythe Watson (January 4, 2014 2:57 pm)

John Smythe-Watson
The Time Detective

January 4, 2014 2:34 pm  #23

I figured that he was watching Mary and thus knew that she had enlisted Sherlock's help. Hence his messages to Mary's phone served both to pass on the messages and also to say "Oh, I know who you're with"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 4, 2014 6:46 pm  #24

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I don't think so...one of the main character points of Milverton is that he doesn't see himself as a criminal. Just a business man so to speak. I'm sure the writers kept that part.

My guess is that he looks to be a media mogul who is used to getting his way by exerting his influence over people.

^^

Agreed. A sly (or not so sly) reference to the recent exploits of a certain Australian media mogul. Who just happens to have appeared before a number of parliamentary committees recently.

And if you pause on the BBCNews item about Sherlocks return the rolling headlines state 'Magnussen summoned before parliamentary co (mmittee?).

January 4, 2014 6:50 pm  #25

Oh Right! Missed that. Dizzy me!!! Thanks.

John S Watson

John Smythe-Watson
The Time Detective

January 4, 2014 7:17 pm  #26

I noticed in the mni episode, Many Happy Returns, at 3:02, Sherlock grabs 2 newspapers proclaiming Trepoff's guilt. The first paper he grabs has the newspaper masthead- CAM Global News.

January 5, 2014 4:30 am  #27

Yes SusieGo! You are right. The word liar wash flashing across the screen. I desperatly didn't want Mary to be a baddie and for that reason tried in my own mind to dispell the idea. But it flies in the face of Sherlocks deductive powers and so I was a fool to let it go so easily. Poor John! The woman has deceived him. They have been led on a murderous wild goose chase to distract Sherlock from the true crime.

John Smthye-Watson you have let sentimentality cloud your judgment and forfeited your right to be called a time detective. [slap! slap! slap on a very culpable wrist...

John Smythe-Watson

Last edited by John Smythe Watson (January 5, 2014 4:34 am)

John Smythe-Watson
The Time Detective

January 5, 2014 4:37 am  #28

tonnaree wrote:

" The first messages were send to Mary, the later ones to Sherlock, though."

They were?  I thought Mary was reading them to Sherlock as they rode on the bike.

I do not believe Mary is a mole.  I believe she's going to be a victim.  The reason CAM gave them the chance to save John was because he wanted to show her what he can do if she doesn't decide to cooperate with him.

Is there any chance that Mary could be CAM's daughter?  And Mary an unknowing pawn?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 5, 2014 5:13 am  #29

What I want to know, after just watching it a third time (no sputtering, hurrah!), is HOW was he able to watch the bonfire and HOW did he know Mary was with Sherlock???  I mean, where was or who had a camera that recorded the bonfire incident?  Would a CCTV camera catch something like that?  And could that be how he knew Mary had gone to see Sherlock?  Did he hack into the CCTV system of was someone feeding him the images?  Also, I'm wondering what all those things in the dark and definitely not empty room were--surely they symbolize something--are they nods to canon?  Too many questions about this final scene for me right now!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 6:36 am  #30

Here is a little twist for you. What if CAM was blackmailing Moriarty to committ suicide (over the safety or possible threats to murder his family) after he had talked Sherlock into his taking his own life?

Or what if Moriarty was actually part of Mycroft's organisation and/or he had been the agant that had already lost his life?

Or what if Moriarty as an agent for Mycroft (perhaps working for CAM as a double agent) had also had his death faked by Mycroft's Organisation?)

Or what if Mary is Moriarty's wife? 

Even if the guy watching the Monitor's is given the name Magnusson. As far as I am concerned he is actually ACD's CAM.

Obviously the writers have proved how good they are at subterfuge judging by how my postings have been completely ignored.

Can't wait for new revelations... and for the return of Irene Adler...

Mysteriously yours

John Smythe-Watson
The Time Detective

January 5, 2014 7:03 am  #31

John Smythe Watson wrote:

Here is a little twist for you. What if CAM was blackmailing Moriarty to committ suicide (over the safety or possible threats to murder his family) after he had talked Sherlock into his taking his own life?

Or what if Moriarty was actually part of Mycroft's organisation and/or he had been the agant that had already lost his life?

Or what if Moriarty as an agent for Mycroft (perhaps working for CAM as a double agent) had also had his death faked by Mycroft's Organisation?)

Or what if Mary is Moriarty's wife? 

Even if the guy watching the Monitor's is given the name Magnusson. As far as I am concerned he is actually ACD's CAM.

Obviously the writers have proved how good they are at subterfuge judging by how my postings have been completely ignored.

Can't wait for new revelations... and for the return of Irene Adler...

Mysteriously yours

John Smythe Watson are you sure your name is not Philip Anderson?  Oooh I love a good conspiracy theory!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 5, 2014 8:38 am  #32

I don't want that woman back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2014 12:29 pm  #33

I don't think CAM is in any way connected to Moriarty.  I think he is an altogether new threat.

The word liar doesn't necessarily mean Mary is a bad person.  Haven't we all had times in our lives when we wanted to hide something?  Or done something less than honorable that we wanted to move past?  I think Mary is basically a good person who had something bad happen in her life or made a bad choice.  She's moved past it now and wants a good life with John but her past is going to come between them somehow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2014 12:33 pm  #34

This would seem the most likely scenario.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2014 4:48 pm  #35

tonnaree wrote:

I don't think CAM is in any way connected to Moriarty.  I think he is an altogether new threat.

The word liar doesn't necessarily mean Mary is a bad person.  Haven't we all had times in our lives when we wanted to hide something?  Or done something less than honorable that we wanted to move past?  I think Mary is basically a good person who had something bad happen in her life or made a bad choice.  She's moved past it now and wants a good life with John but her past is going to come between them somehow.

That was exactly what I thought. The liar deduction was also very pale and if you don´t stop the deduction, nearly not to be seen. It seems to me as if this is not a dominant habit of her.

January 5, 2014 7:12 pm  #36

Tonnaree - You have to face facts - CAM is back!!!

I didn't say Mary was a bad person - I Love Mary - but CAM doesn't give a damn - any indiscretion at all - no matter how long ago and he's got you.

I thought everybody knew that CAM and Moriarty were friends/colleagues/collaborators.

And I thought everybody knew that Sebastian Moran was an (decorated) ex war hero who took up with Professor Moriarty.

If I am wrong - I will show my backside in the Diogenes Club and shoot an antique aspidestra plant pot with a swiss air gun.
Anonymous
Oops!

John Smythe-Watson
The Time Detective

January 5, 2014 7:16 pm  #37

Oh! And change my name to Philip Anderson. (tee hee).

John Smythe-Watson
The Time Detective

January 5, 2014 11:03 pm  #38

Hold on... The guy at the end CAM was watching... Was that Sherlock or Tom?

January 5, 2014 11:51 pm  #39

That would seem a likely scenario, but my issue with this is that if something does happen to Mary, John will never recover easily (he'll go into depression at the very least), UNLESS she turns out to be not as nice as he thought.

In a way, I'm thinking the writers need to give him something to pick himself up - especially since now there is also a baby involved (as if everything else wasn't enough).

January 6, 2014 5:50 pm  #40

John Smythe Watson wrote:

I thought everybody knew that CAM and Moriarty were friends/colleagues/collaborators.

Where did you get this one from?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

Board footera