BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 11:21 pm  #161

Re: So what do you think about our Consulting Detective?

John never called him jealous. But Sherlock might be jealous of Mary because now she is the most important person in John's life. Or Sherlock might think other people might think him jealous. It is a bit unclear to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2014 11:27 pm  #162

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, I'm one of those people who still have their problems with that scene. Or to be more precise: with the end of the scene and Sherlock laughing at John. And you all are probably right, this is Sherlock and I shouldn't be surprised.
Nevertheless, sociopath or not, totally normal for our beloved Sherlock or not - I don't like it. I just don't. And yeah, that's probably my very own problem and Susi, what you've said about this scene is very well analysed. And I agree with your analysis up to a certain point, I would even kind of agree that his laughter is "tinged with relief after enormous tension".
But the way in which he's making fun of John ("Your face!", "I had you!") is just too much. I can't laugh about this, I just can't. I love Sherlock dearly and can laugh about almost all of his eccentricities and quirks, but it seems this right there is something I don't wanna see, not even from Sherlock.

Yes. I would forgive the laughter more easily if it weren't for these comments. Because of them I still don't like this scene so you're not alone.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 4, 2014 11:28 pm  #163

Well, John got over it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2014 11:32 pm  #164

Yes, John got over it - and I still don't like it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2014 11:33 pm  #165

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2014 11:54 pm  #166

SusiGo wrote:

There is another thing about the day with Molly that struck me from the beginning: 

The things Sherlock hears in his mind are all negative (jealous, show off, etc.) and not the things he liked so much about John (amazing, quite extraordinary). John only jokingly called him a show-off turning up his collar to look cool. But in TEH Sherlock seems really confused/hurt by the voice in his head. Does he remember what other people used to call him? Are these self-doubts? Because they cannot be connected to Molly who always adored him. 

And at the end of the scene he calls Molly "John". Again.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2014 12:10 am  #167

I need to watch it again but after seeing the tube/bomb scene twice, I don't have nearly the negative reaction as I did at first.  I think people's comments that Sherlock's and John's reactions stem, at least partially, from them being men and, as they said, they have a hard time with emotions.  I think Sherlcok's over-the-top behavior was because he just couldn't outright and honestly express his what he really felt--he doesn't know how and even if he did, that's not who he is.  But he needed John's acceptance and forgiveness so, whether consciously or unconsciously, I don't know, he hit on this scheme to fool John--once more--and manipulate him into doing what he, Sherlock, wanted.  And it worked.

Going through who knows what during the two years he was away...and even if the torture scene was just one incident, given what happened there...Sherlock was bound to be changed.  Having to keep himself hidden and pretend to be someone else--or many people--for such a long time would, I think, play havoc with even the sanest and most grounded of people.  Which I don't think Sherlock really is.  (By which I mean, he's not the most emotionally stable person around.)

Throughout this episode, Sherlock's predictions as to how John would react were always wrong.  As John said, he'd moved on.  Sherlock would have no way of knowing how John had changed--though I'm kind of surprised he didn't have a gazillion possibilities all calculated out.

I think the whole episode is about Sherlock and John finding their footing with each other again and realizing, despite everything that's happenend, that they belong together.  They went, literally, through fire, and now they are stronger and can face the world again together.  Which we'll see them doing in the next two episodes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 2:00 am  #168

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I think the whole episode is about Sherlock and John finding their footing with each other again and realizing, despite everything that's happenend, that they belong together.  They went, literally, through fire, and now they are stronger and can face the world again together.  Which we'll see them doing in the next two episodes!

Perfect, Sherli.  "Literally through fire".  I like that!  Describes it well!

And I agree with you about the whole episode being about them finding each other again. Seeing it from start to finish really brought that home to me. Scattered throughout there were some poignant moments of Sherlock walking away by himself - once after John and Mary get in the taxi and once when he walks away from Molly through the falling snow.  He just looked so damn 'alone' without John at his side.  By the end, when Sherlock goes out to face the reporters, John follows right after and takes his place beside him  -right where he belongs.  Lovely!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 5, 2014 2:04 am  #169

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Perfect, Sherli. "Literally through fire". I like that! Describes it well!

And I agree with you about the whole episode being about them finding each other again. Seeing it from start to finish really brought that home to me. Scattered throughout there were some poignant moments of Sherlock walking away by himself - once after John and Mary get in the taxi and once when he walks away from Molly through the falling snow. He just looked so damn 'alone' without John at his side. By the end, when Sherlock goes out to face the reporters, John follows right after and takes his place beside him -right where he belongs. Lovely!

Wonderful! I wholeheartedly agree 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 2:04 am  #170

He doesn't look right without John by his side!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 5, 2014 2:12 am  #171

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

And I agree with you about the whole episode being about them finding each other again. Seeing it from start to finish really brought that home to me. Scattered throughout there were some poignant moments of Sherlock walking away by himself - once after John and Mary get in the taxi and once when he walks away from Molly through the falling snow. He just looked so damn 'alone' without John at his side. By the end, when Sherlock goes out to face the reporters, John follows right after and takes his place beside him -right where he belongs. Lovely!

Damn.  I'm about to cry again just reading this thread.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2014 2:15 am  #172

Alone is what Sherlock is...  Nope!  Not any more.  John is back and now there's Mary.  Is this the resumption of a beautiful friendship... the beginning of three thoroughly modern musketeers, or...??? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 5, 2014 8:15 am  #173

I think it will be the 3 Musketeers, for a while, at least.

January 5, 2014 10:28 am  #174

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Ladies, how can you write things like these, how can you do this to me without warning? Brings tears into my eyes...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 5, 2014 10:57 am  #175

Sobbbing here, too!

January 5, 2014 8:29 pm  #176

After watching the episode for the third time, it occured to me that Sherlock has changed a lot more than I originally thought. Especially the scene with him and Mycroft analysing the hat made me realise this. Suddenly, Sherlock cares about other people's secret feelings. He thinks that Mycroft is lonely and more or less states that it is strange that Mycroft has never tried to make friends with 'normal people', implying that he has. It almost seems like he's worried about Mycroft - this seems to strange to me, but I think I like it. There had to be a development at some point and I guess it's this - Sherlock realising that normal people aren't THAT bad, I mean, he does decide to spend most of his time with them instead of the only person he knows who's as intelligent as him - Mycroft.

January 5, 2014 10:54 pm  #177

I keep thinking that a lot of us have a very rigid idea of Sherlock's character--  and honestly, I find it hard to beleive that he could go through all he went through trying to take down Moriarty's "web", and come through unscathed, physically or mentally. 

It's also interesting to me that, Mrs. Hudson, and Lestrade welcome him back with open arms, Mycroft does as well, in his Holmesian way-- but John is absolutley AWFUL to Sherlock, even after he saves John's life...again. 

Everyone has a shock, yet John is the only one who refused to forgive, he's the only one who retailiated (several times) with physical violence. 

If you treat their freindship as a love relationship, then it's an abusive one. Sherlock hearing John's voice as derisive, judgmental and insulting doesn't help, either. 

The Train scene-- I would have more of an inclination to think of it as cruel-- if Sherlock and John had actually been estranged lovers-- but they're not. They were friends, colleagues (as John would say) and flatmates. And Sherlock's ruse seemed to be the only way to get John to actually hear Sherlock's apology. Sherlock, I think, is simply inept--and both of them act like children at times. And John has some serious anger-management issues.  The yelling, the punching, strangling, etc, ... Thank goodness he has Mary to help him calm down a bit. 

Also, someone said that "The Fall" was just Sherlock showing off... having trouble with that idea-- Sherlock lost his reputation, his work, his home, his freinds, --to save his freinds, and for Queen and Country. 

That's a hero, in my book. 

I think the writers did a disservice to the main character of their show, if the only thing people take away from it is how evil, sociopathic, etc, etc,  Sherlock is. I find it kinda sad that so many of us see him the way Donovan did. 

Ye Gods, I am obssessed! Back to writing Greglock! :-D

January 5, 2014 11:18 pm  #178

In my opinion John behaved the worst because he loves Sherlock the most.  He lost the most when Sherlock "died."    I've had the same best friend for almost 40 years.  If she did something like that to me I'd take a swing at her too.  I'd be angry beyond belief.

But I also would eventually forgive her and be beyond happy that she had come back to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2014 11:23 pm  #179

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I keep thinking that a lot of us have a very rigid idea of Sherlock's character--  and honestly, I find it hard to beleive that he could go through all he went through trying to take down Moriarty's "web", and come through unscathed, physically or mentally. 

It's also interesting to me that, Mrs. Hudson, and Lestrade welcome him back with open arms, Mycroft does as well, in his Holmesian way-- but John is absolutley AWFUL to Sherlock, even after he saves John's life...again. 

Everyone has a shock, yet John is the only one who refused to forgive, he's the only one who retailiated (several times) with physical violence. 

If you treat their freindship as a love relationship, then it's an abusive one. Sherlock hearing John's voice as derisive, judgmental and insulting doesn't help, either. 

The Train scene-- I would have more of an inclination to think of it as cruel-- if Sherlock and John had actually been estranged lovers-- but they're not. They were friends, colleagues (as John would say) and flatmates. And Sherlock's ruse seemed to be the only way to get John to actually hear Sherlock's apology. Sherlock, I think, is simply inept--and both of them act like children at times. And John has some serious anger-management issues.  The yelling, the punching, strangling, etc, ... Thank goodness he has Mary to help him calm down a bit. 

Also, someone said that "The Fall" was just Sherlock showing off... having trouble with that idea-- Sherlock lost his reputation, his work, his home, his freinds, --to save his freinds, and for Queen and Country. 

That's a hero, in my book. 

I think the writers did a disservice to the main character of their show, if the only thing people take away from it is how evil, sociopathic, etc, etc,  Sherlock is. I find it kinda sad that so many of us see him the way Donovan did. 

Ye Gods, I am obssessed! Back to writing Greglock! :-D

John was none of those things.  He had every right to be as angry with Sherlock as he was.  They were best friends, and it's only natural that he would feel hurt when he found out that, not only was Sherlock alive all that time, but that other people knew about it and he didn't.  Sherlock misjudged John's feelings and reaction severely, and he deserved his comeuppance.  He made a joke about coming back, saying things like John had no life without him and so on and so forth.  He doesn't act like a man worthy of John's friendship in the beginning, but he endeavors to do so by the end of the episode when he finally, finally realizes how much he's hurt John.

Neither Sherlock nor John have rigid characterizations...they are both fluid and make mistakes like all human beings do.  But Sherlock was in the wrong in this situation...he may have had mitigating circumstances, but he was wrong to let John grieve for so long without a single hint that he was alive.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 6, 2014 12:38 am  #180

I don't know-- it may be that I'm having trouble accepting John's reaction as reasonable-- because everyone else was happy to see Sherlock. :-) I think the moment that clinched it for me was Lestrade fiercly hugging Sherlock. Beautiful moment. 

Board footera