BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 10:22 pm  #141

Re: So what do you think about our Consulting Detective?

Of course it's ok if you just don't like the scene, Solar. It is pretty cruel after all.

While watching for the fourth time, I just got really emotional over the scene with Molly where Sherlock kisses her on the cheek after going out crime solving with her. Just before that he asked her to go to a restaurant with him where he gets double portions, and Molly's reply to that emphasizes the allusion to ASIP where Sherlock went to Angelo's with John. He's obviously trying something similar with her now. In contrast to Angelo's, a Fish and Chips place is definitely not romantic. Molly doesn't seem to be very interested. Then Sherlock makes his little speech that is certainly heartfelt but a bit out of character for him. Which means he's trying to achieve something, trying to manipulate Molly as he has done so often, but this time in a nice way. John isn't in the picture anymore, so Sherlock is trying to make a new best friend. It doesn't work. Sherlock eating takeaway fish and chips alone in his dark flat ... That's actually the saddest thing in the whole episode, isn't it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 4, 2014 10:24 pm  #142

Oh my god, QE, you just killed me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2014 10:25 pm  #143

Well, I don't think he's gonna be in 221B on his own forever...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2014 10:29 pm  #144

I'll probably have to eat my words after the next episode but I believe Sherlock is being genuine with Molly.

January 4, 2014 10:35 pm  #145

I am certain he is being genuine.
Why does everybody think he is till controlling and manipulative with her?
He genuinely likes, trusts and respects her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2014 10:36 pm  #146

I agree with you, besleybean. As for the rest, QE is absolutely right. This might be even sadder than Sherlock walking home alone after John and Mary have left in the cab. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2014 10:45 pm  #147

God stop it will you all, I'll be sobbing!

January 4, 2014 10:49 pm  #148

In this fish-and chips reference - did you notice Sherlock's answer when he told Molly about the owner giving him extra portions?
"Did you get him off a murder charge?"
Sherlock: "No, I helped him put up some shelves."

This is so hilarious to imagine a DIY-Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 4, 2014 10:51 pm  #149

Hmmm, DIY Sherlock?

Tight jeans, shirtless? I'm cool with that 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 4, 2014 11:00 pm  #150

There is another thing about the day with Molly that struck me from the beginning: 

The things Sherlock hears in his mind are all negative (jealous, show off, etc.) and not the things he liked so much about John (amazing, quite extraordinary). John only jokingly called him a show-off turning up his collar to look cool. But in TEH Sherlock seems really confused/hurt by the voice in his head. Does he remember what other people used to call him? Are these self-doubts? Because they cannot be connected to Molly who always adored him. 

January 4, 2014 11:02 pm  #151

Maybe he's genuinely worried this is what John thinks of him now.

January 4, 2014 11:04 pm  #152

SusiGo wrote:

As for the rest, QE is absolutely right. This might be even sadder than Sherlock walking home alone after John and Mary have left in the cab. 

I didn't even realize that he's eating his chips in a dark flat... omg, that's a really sad thought indeed...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2014 11:06 pm  #153

Soon John will bring the light back to 221B.

January 4, 2014 11:07 pm  #154

SusiGo wrote:

There is another thing about the day with Molly that struck me from the beginning: 

The things Sherlock hears in his mind are all negative (jealous, show off, etc.) and not the things he liked so much about John (amazing, quite extraordinary). John only jokingly called him a show-off turning up his collar to look cool. But in TEH Sherlock seems really confused/hurt by the voice in his head. Does he remember what other people used to call him? Are these self-doubts? Because they cannot be connected to Molly who always adored him. 

"Are you jealous?" is something Irene said to John, and
"I am a show-off" is said by Sherlock to John in HOUNDS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 4, 2014 11:11 pm  #155

tobeornot221b wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

"Are you jealous?" is something Irene said to John, and
"I am a show-off" is said by Sherlock to John in HOUNDS.

So, does this mean that he subconsciously wishes everything were back to 'normal', like in the 'good old days'...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 4, 2014 11:12 pm  #156

But why should he think of those in this situation? 

January 4, 2014 11:13 pm  #157

Or just reminiscing about all his times with John?

January 4, 2014 11:16 pm  #158

Perhaps he's a bit insecure internally. Not about his work, but about himself as a person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 4, 2014 11:17 pm  #159

...which would make sense in this situation, besleybean, because John's not there with him and we all know that Sherlock really wants him to be there. And misses him. But Susi has got a point, why do these particular words and phrases come into his mind?

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 4, 2014 11:18 pm)

January 4, 2014 11:19 pm  #160

Is He jealous of Mary?
Does he realise that the fake death was showing off?

Board footera