BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2014 11:06 pm  #81

Re: So what do you think about our Consulting Detective?

I can't remember who said it before, but I do think they are right.
This is about 2 guys in  a guy friendship who find emotions difficult and both know the other finds them difficult too.
How else can they get over all this awkwardness and emotions...they are just not the huggy/sobby sort.

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2014 11:06 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2014 11:18 pm  #82

besleybean wrote:

I can't remember who said it before, but I do think they are right.
This is about 2 guys in  a guy friendship who find emotions difficult and both know the other finds them difficult too.
How else can they get over all this awkwardness and emotions...they are just not the huggy/sobby sort.

Yes, I agree. I also think we shouldn't underestimate Sherlock's need for John to forgive him, and his surprise that John didn't initially welcome him back with open arms. He might know John very well, but that doesn't mean he understands his more subtle emotions. I think, as he implies to Mycroft in the beginning, he thought John would still be living and working cases in Baker Street and when he came back everything would go back to the way it was. I really think Sherlock thought John would find his waiter disguise hilarious.  In terms of the tube scene, it speaks to me of Sherlock's desperation to get things back they way there were and also his cluelessness when it comes to understanding how others feel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 2, 2014 11:29 pm  #83

yeah but I don't think this is normal behaviour for a male friendship. I think it is really manipulative and not very nice at all. Certainly if someone behaved like this toward my son or my brother or if either were in a friendship where this was ok, I would be deeply concerned.Very deliberately making someone think they are going to die, in order that they tell you they forgive you and care about you and so on? I think that crosses a line. It actually is sociopathic, and highly manipulative, and the fact that John does not run a mile, well...tbh thats interesting. Tells us a lot about him and what he sees as normal and ok or at least, what he will accept in Sherlock.

I do actually like that about the show. We are not meant to see Sherlock as flawless or adorable, he really is quite deeply screwed up at times. 

In all honestly, I would rather it wasn't there, I think it is quite disturbing really. But since it is, it tells us something quite important about what one character considers ok behaviour toward a friend, and what the other will put up with from a friend.

Last edited by beekeeper (January 2, 2014 11:34 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 2, 2014 11:36 pm  #84

I don't see the relationship as necessarily sinister-- but codependent, sure. (Which I think, most of us shippers actually want, sometimes). 

In the Train scene-- I keep thinking that part of Sherlock's actions--may come from the fact that this sort of thing is how he and John bonded in the first place. Laughing innapropriately at crime scenes, etc, . For crying out loud, John joked and laughed about killing someone -- in A Study in Pink. 

And, maybe Sherlock, knowing how badly John can react (violently) thought lightening up the situation might help. (Because John wasn't going to listen, he was more concerned with feeling left out.) And I thought it was interesting that in Sherlock's head, John's voice tended to be critical, derisive, and sometimes even insulting. Hmmmm. 

John was a burnt-out husk of a man before he met Sherlock; thrills, laughter and comradaderie healed him, through Sherlock. 

I think Sherlock has opened up, while John has shut down-- maybe the train prank helped to break down some of John's walls. 

And another thing... this episode really drives it home to me that Sherlock isn't autistic, nor does he have aspbergers, nor is he a sociopath. I think he's gifted, and a bit weird and tempermental because he's gifted. 

Dang it-- I keep thinking of more things to say about this ep....

January 2, 2014 11:44 pm  #85

I did see a lot of Aspergers in Sherlock this episode- it's the only way I can understand his complete failure to predict how John would react to him being alive, and also the tube scene .  At the same time, I agree that he is gifted, temperamental, a sociopath at times .  He is a great, complex character and testament to Beneditct's acting  that he is so multifaceted and defies a stereotypical diagnosis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 3, 2014 12:09 am  #86

It was said in the episode that the parents weren't at the funeral.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 3, 2014 12:21 am  #87

Pav wrote:

It was said in the episode that the parents weren't at the funeral.

Yes,  he said "so that's why they weren't at the funeral!" Or something like that.

January 3, 2014 12:35 am  #88

I'm still thinking up stuff to say, darn it! 

It just hit me that Sherlock never even got a thank you for saving lives: Mrs. Hudson's, Lestrade's and John's. And then he saved John's life again!  For most of the episode, all he got from John was murderous rage. Maybe they both need some therapy? Oy. 

And I'm curious... how do guys view the show and the Sherlock/John dynamic-- as opposed to women? That would be very interesting to see the differences! :-D

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (January 3, 2014 12:39 am)

January 3, 2014 8:11 am  #89

Good point, Raven. But then I ask myself if he ever told John that he jumped to save his life. In the second restaurant scene he only tells him that he did it to stop Moriarty. This was his plan but then there was the additional challenge of the three snipers. I am not sure if any of the three knows about this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2014 9:29 am  #90

Yep, that struck me too...
Tho he did have to dismantle the whole of Moriarty's network.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2014 11:55 am  #91

I was in awe of Ben's performance because he managed to keep a balance between Sherlock being his usual narcissistic self and Sherlock realizing how deeply he's hurt John and that it will take more than a few jokes to apologize. Also, he has of course changed (which seems inevitable after two years, and especially after what he's been through), but I didn't think he was too different from before. It was written and carried out brilliantly if you ask me.
A perfect example for that is the bomb scene- he still knows how to manipulate John, but the tears seemed real- he desperately wanted his friend to forgive him. And it's typical that he says something like "it wasn't entirely untrue" and then refers to the lights when he actually means that he is aware of what he's put John through and is sorry for that.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

January 3, 2014 12:19 pm  #92

Kerkerian wrote:

I was in awe of Ben's performance because he managed to keep a balance between Sherlock being his usual narcissistic self and Sherlock realizing how deeply he's hurt John and that it will take more than a few jokes to apologize. Also, he has of course changed (which seems inevitable after two years, and especially after what he's been through), but I didn't think he was too different from before. It was written and carried out brilliantly if you ask me.
A perfect example for that is the bomb scene- he still knows how to manipulate John, but the tears seemed real- he desperately wanted his friend to forgive him. And it's typical that he says something like "it wasn't entirely untrue" and then refers to the lights when he actually means that he is aware of what he's put John through and is sorry for that.

I concur 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 3, 2014 1:37 pm  #93

Kerkerian wrote:

*insert Facebook like button here* 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 3, 2014 1:48 pm  #94

kittykat wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

January 3, 2014 2:00 pm  #95

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

^_^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 3, 2014 3:22 pm  #96

I've only seen it once so I'm not entirely sure about the logistics, but I thought in the train scene, Sherlock actually believed that they'd both die until he found the off switch. The counter started at two something something and he switched it off about a minute later. So the first part of the dialogue was genuie. Then he took advantage of the situation, but he only fooled his friend for one and a half minute. That's not so callous, though still bad taste. His laughing, well he just believed they were gonna die so he was still full of adrenaline. 

I actually really liked the different responses he gives to the characters, especially in the reunion scene. I think Sherlock was more anxious with John than with anyone else, that's why he can allow himself to be nice to Molly and even Mycroft while he has to hide his insecurities behind humour and nastiness to John. I thought it was brilliantly written, IRL people often try to deflete tension by making jokes at the toughest moments. The humour takes the ham and the gravitas out of the scene, much as what would probably happen in real life. 

January 3, 2014 3:25 pm  #97

Er, the difference being both Molly and Mycroft knew he was alive!

January 3, 2014 3:40 pm  #98

Oh, yeah, and there's that. 

January 3, 2014 4:03 pm  #99

I would like to agree, but then again he said "Every bomb has an off-switch" as if he knew it all the time. So not sure about that.

Unsecure - I could see that all along before in the restaurant and after scenes. In between he was so earnest and then again showed some kind of unsecure grin before letting out the next joke - which went wrong each time.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2014 10:47 pm  #100

I watched it a few times now, and I'm definately going with the 'he found idea of the switch in his mind palace, and then the actual switch on the bomb'. No idea if bombs really work that way but I'm just gonna pretend they do. It's his conversation: he's completely focused on the solution and as soon as he hit the switch he changes the conversation to asking forgiveness.

I actually don't find it so horrible anymore, he just saw an opportunity to end the tension between them. Maybe John would never forgive him and their relationship would be damaged forever. Now he basically forced John into forgiving him and clearing up the air. And point out that John, despite himself, was risking his life to be with him (who knows, maybe he was genuily touched by that).  

Board footera