BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2014 4:34 pm  #101

Re: There's something about Mary

besleybean wrote:

I agree.
Just wondering what's gonna happen in the last episode.

Aren't we all?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 12, 2014 6:26 pm  #102

Ormond Sacker wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I agree.
Just wondering what's gonna happen in the last episode.

Aren't we all?

I am !!  I'm looking forward to it with baited breath, and yet dreading it because it's the last we will see of Sherlock for a while (hopefully only a year this time!!) and I just know it's going to be painful.  At least I've found this place in time that I can lament over whatever heartbreak they have in store with us in company of like minded people. 

Mxx

January 12, 2014 6:52 pm  #103

(Holds out hands to fellow Sherlockians)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2014 8:19 pm  #104

*takes BB's hand*

I apologize in advance if I squeeze too tight!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 12, 2014 8:20 pm  #105

Be my guest!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 9:55 pm  #106

I love Martin & Amanda's interaction when he's shaving his beard off. The way they deliver the lines, it sounds like this is a conversation they've had about before in real life (minus the Sherlock parts of the conversation). Acting out a threat to marry your girlfriend, when delivered to your real life partner, takes on a whole other meaning.

January 20, 2014 1:17 pm  #107

I love Mary. I am so happy, I was expecting to have a hard time with her, because while I'd love for my boys to have romantic interests, I don't want anything to get in the way of their perfect bromance, and I want someone who's good for John. Better than Sherlock, even.

I love how John and Mary look at each other, I love the scene with them at their house ("Or I'll marry you", I awwwed majorly), I love that they're getting married! Yes

And just a little thing-I really love the way Sherlock says "Mary" when he sees her in 221B. It strikes me as some what fond (yes, already) but cautious, obviously nervous because what is she doing here somethings wrong, and familiar, as if he's already getting used to her. Reading a lot into that, I know, but that's what I heard.

I love the bike scene

January 20, 2014 4:49 pm  #108

I thought of it more as:  why are YOU here and not John?!

January 23, 2014 7:06 pm  #109

tonnaree wrote:

The scene where Sherlock deduces that she doesn't like John's facial hair.   LMAO

I know, right?  Poor John, stuck between them. "Oh, I really missed this!" with a sarcastic jab of a finger in Sherlock's direction.

And the shot of Sherlock deducing her.  Did you notice a softness about it?  All the words swirling about Mary.  Usually when we see Sherlock deducing someone it's all sharp lines and hard cold edges.  I think it's clear that Sherlock is going to like Mary in return.

A couple of those words I found disturbing. Like LIAR and CONFLICTED.  Hmmmm..... mind you, I haven't seen 3.2 and 3.3 yet and have been avoiding major spoilers like the plague. But I do believe that Ms. Mary is much more than she's appeared to be so far, which I think Sherlock senses too. The sheer volume of words swirling around her makes her seem very multi-faceted, to say the least.

January 23, 2014 7:15 pm  #110

SolarSystem wrote:

I'll definitely have to watch those first scenes with her very closely again, because I couldn't help myself but practically feel the attempt of Gatiss to make us like her right away - which isn't a bad thing, I just was under the impression as if maybe he tried a bit too hard too fast to show us how lovely she is. (I know, that probably doesn't sound very nice, but I just don't know how to express my feelings any better right now...)

Mary is a plot device, like so much else that goes on in the show. She's there for a reason, having to do with the Homes-Watson relationship and their friendship, as well as the casework.

She has nice teeth, lol. Pretty eyes and skin and hair. But somehow she stops just short of looking like an aging super model, thank god in his heaven. She looks like a Real Person, and she's easy on the eyes anyway.

When John was bumbling around trying to propose, and she agreed that yes, of course she was the best thing that could have happened to him, I liked that-- how many women actually say such things out loud to their male SOs, even if they think it's true? And I liked the flirtatious funny nice way she stuck the nail of one of her pinky fingers in between her teeth and grinned at him like a Cheshire cat. I think there's a whole lot whoa!more to this woman than just a pretty face and an accepting attitude. Way way way more.

January 23, 2014 7:19 pm  #111

tonnaree wrote:

Didn't see it while watching but there it is  "Liar."   Now, it could be something as simple as Sherlock knows she lie to John about the moustache.  But we don't really think so do we..........

I actually stopped my recording several times to try to read all the words swirling around her, so I caught Liar right away. Disillusioned is interesting, too. But in the plus column, she's a cat lover--  wouldn't it have been nice to see a kitty with her in that scene where he was shaving and she was on the bed talking to him?  Someone should have gone to bat to add a kitty to the cast and got that included in the budget, because I think that would have put a nice touch of domesticity in that scene.  Sigh.

Last edited by ancientsgate (January 23, 2014 7:20 pm)

January 23, 2014 7:24 pm  #112

stoertebeker
"God, I had six months of bristly kisses for me and then his nibs turns up..."
"I don' t shave for Sherlock Holmes."
"You should put that on a T-Shirt."
[/quote wrote:

*smile*  Great dialogue. Very realistic, actually, I thought. HIS NIBS!! Love it. Once in a while I read a fan fic where someone describes Sherlock as "that posh bastard."  His nibs suits him, very well. And he is posh.

January 23, 2014 7:39 pm  #113

" His nibs suits him, very well. And he is posh."

I have heard the phrase "His nibs" before in places other than Sherlock.  While I get the gist of it, could one of our Brit's explain it's origins?

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 23, 2014 7:45 pm  #114

It really does just refer to somebody posh, or who thinks he's posh!

January 23, 2014 8:07 pm  #115

tonnaree wrote:

" His nibs suits him, very well. And he is posh."
I have heard the phrase "His nibs" before in places other than Sherlock.  While I get the gist of it, could one of our Brit's explain it's origins?

I went to what my husband and I call The Fount of All Knowledge (the internet) and found that nibs is a noun that means a mock title used to refer to a self-important man, esp. one in authority. I believe it's often if not always used in a sarcastic manner.

January 23, 2014 8:08 pm  #116

Quite so.

January 24, 2014 2:45 am  #117

Thanks guys!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 24, 2014 1:32 pm  #118

Thanks from me too!

I think this shows how casual Mary is.
Someone who really hurt John suddenly shows up, destroys the wedding proposal and thinks (or pretends to think...) he would be funny.
And this very evening she tells Sherlock she'd talk to John, tells John she'd like Sherlock and later she jokes about John shaving off his moustache,
I mean, I didn't really expect her to be angry about Sherlock but I was a bit surprised how relaxed she actually was about all that.

January 24, 2014 2:46 pm  #119

FluteLocked wrote:

Thanks from me too!

I think this shows how casual Mary is.
Someone who really hurt John suddenly shows up, destroys the wedding proposal and thinks (or pretends to think...) he would be funny.
And this very evening she tells Sherlock she'd talk to John, tells John she'd like Sherlock and later she jokes about John shaving off his moustache,
I mean, I didn't really expect her to be angry about Sherlock but I was a bit surprised how relaxed she actually was about all that.

By this scene John and Mary both seem to be pretty relaxed.  The initial shock has worn off and they are both settling into the idea that Sherlock is back.  I have no doubt that John is still angry but he's not going to be in a constant state of rage like at first.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 27, 2014 4:56 pm  #120

So on idk the tenth watching we've slow motion watched the scene where sherlock is analyzing Mary for the first time.

Can anyone explain when he saw her appendix scar? Lol. I don't recall her flashing him but maybe during one  of the rows with John, does she maybe jump in and her shirt flaps up a bit?

I assume baking her own bread perhaps some flour left around her cuticles?

I think there was one other one that I can't possibly see how that could have been deduced at least by what we've seen but darn it I can't remember.

It's interesting bc you can see he did pick up spy notions on her : linguist, liar, secret.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

Board footera