BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2014 11:27 pm  #81

Re: There's something about Mary

But does Sherlock not already sense/deduce something else? Something of concern? I think Mary already knows she is pregnant before Sherlock announces it so tactfully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 6, 2014 11:35 pm  #82

I don't think she does... I think she either is for real, and doesn't know, and when Sherlock tells them she is actually upset - not just panicky - her reaction was so weird...

Or, maybe she isn't pregnant, and when Sherlock tells her he can tell by her reaction that maybe she's lying? She is a liar, after all...

January 6, 2014 11:54 pm  #83

I've mentioned in another thread that the diagnosis is wrong. Her reaction shows that it is. Sherlock then gets that funny puzzled/realisation type of look on his face.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 7, 2014 6:49 am  #84

Hmmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2014 4:45 pm  #85

The message mentioning family from cam is addressed only to Mary...

January 10, 2014 5:01 pm  #86

Yes! Which is in itself rings a little oddly don't you think?  Her reaction is certainly not a positive one. What are the circumstances of her becoming orphaned one wonders?

January 10, 2014 7:09 pm  #87

how did she know what skip code was? i am not sure but when the message was sent to mary and everyone just thought it was for sherlock i think it was for marry to rescue john not sherlock

January 10, 2014 10:00 pm  #88

Am I the only one who thinks Mary's reaction to Sherlock's deduction was perfectly normal? 
If I had found out I was pregnant on my wedding day after months of stressful planning and before I even left for my honeymoon I'd react that way too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 10, 2014 10:37 pm  #89

Well it is the best known side effect of having sex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2014 6:27 pm  #90

emm wrote:

how did she know what skip code was? i am not sure but when the message was sent to mary and everyone just thought it was for sherlock i think it was for marry to rescue john not sherlock

My question is what kind of person recognises a skip code when they aren't looking for it. I know I might, might that is, but I have a Sherlock like passion for puzzles and codes so I see them even when they aren't there. But Mary in that situation would have no reason to look for a code, but saw it anyway. Why?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 11, 2014 9:03 pm  #91

I agree with you, Ormond. This was really strange. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 12, 2014 1:45 am  #92

The only explanation I have for Mary recognizing the message as a skip code is that Sherlock deduced she is a linguist.  However, as someone who works in one of the subfields of linguistics, I'm not aware that code-breaking is part of the discipline.  (And I looked it up online: http://linguistlist.org/LL/LingSubfields.cfm)  So maybe that's a blooper or maybe there's some other reason she knows about it.  Or maybe, I'm wrong and it is. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 12, 2014 4:22 am  #93

Or,  MAYBE  Mary had something to do,  with setting the skip code up in the first place!!  Honestly  I have no idea what you are all talking about,  sorry.   I've seen the episode and read the subtitles but those two things made no sense.  skip code for what? 

On another note,  I'm not too pleased with Mary at all.  She's  not what I pictured, as John's soul mate.  sorry  everyone!!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 12, 2014 8:31 am  #94

On Mary as John's wife: well, it rather depends how long she sticks around!
On the skip code, sk.  When Mary receives the text and takes it to Sherlock, she tells him it is  a'skip code', that is, every other word is the real message.
How does she know this?

January 12, 2014 11:02 am  #95

I haven't gone through the whole thread, so I hope I'm not repeating something that has been said earlier, but what I found interesting is that not only does Mary like Sherlock, I'm pretty sure he also likes her.

With Sherlock, sometimes it’s not in the things that he says, but in the things that he doesn’t say.

Among other things, he deducts that she’s an only child, a liguist, a guardian, shortsighted, clever, disillusioned, a size 12, a liberal democrat, bakes bread, is a romantic, a cat lover and has a secret tattoo. He has probably spent all night trying to gauge her.

Yet, in the perfect moment when he could have easily made a glib remark to point out his superiority and reveal that he knows a lot more about her than she’d ever fathom, he never says a word. He likes her. A lot.

January 12, 2014 2:48 pm  #96

And I still say, is this his error?

January 12, 2014 4:18 pm  #97

Whose error? I'm not sure what you mean.

January 12, 2014 4:20 pm  #98

I wondered if it was Sherlock's error to like Mary.

January 12, 2014 4:23 pm  #99

Hm. Im confused. Why would he be in error to like Mary? I didn't mean to imply that, if that's what you're trying to say. I think it's a very good thing that they seem to like each other, which makes it easier for Sherlock and John to still be friends and do friendsy things together.

January 12, 2014 4:27 pm  #100

I agree.
Just wondering what's gonna happen in the last episode.

Board footera