BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2014 11:22 pm  #1

There's something about Mary

I think Miss MM deserves her own thread.

My first thoughts.  Loved her initial reaction to Sherlock in the restuarnt.  She immeiately realized how what it was doing to John.

However I also love the fact that by the time John and Mary were riding away in a cab she had made it to "I like him."

Discus.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2014 11:24 pm  #2

Re: There's something about Mary

I really like her ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 1, 2014 11:32 pm  #3

Swanpride wrote:

She is a little bit a female version of John, isn't she?

Just like Amanda is a female version of Martin .

I love her and I am curious about her developement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 1, 2014 11:34 pm  #4

The scene where Sherlock deduces that she doesn't like John's facial hair.   LMAO

And the shot of Sherlock deducing her.  Did you notice a softness about it?  All the words swirling about Mary.  Usually when we see Sherlock deducing someone it's all sharp lines and hard cold edges.  I think it's clear that Sherlock is going to like Mary in return.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 1, 2014 11:53 pm  #5

Am I the only one who thought that 'Mary' was actually 'Kitty' (the reporter from s2e3) when we first saw her at the restaurant?

I couldn't think why Sherlock was so nice to her.

Take a look at some photo's of the actresses; Katherine Parkinson (Kitty) and Amanda Abbington (Mary)...They could be twin sisters!!!

January 1, 2014 11:54 pm  #6

tonnaree wrote:

And the shot of Sherlock deducing her.  Did you notice a softness about it?  All the words swirling about Mary.  Usually when we see Sherlock deducing someone it's all sharp lines and hard cold edges.  I think it's clear that Sherlock is going to like Mary in return.

Yes, and the music that went with that scene... also had a softness to it, right?

Nevertheless I was under the impression that they might have needed a bit more time to fully introduce her... for my taste her "I like him" in the cab came a bit too fast. But I might change my mind about that once I've seen the episode again.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 1, 2014 11:59 pm  #7

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Yes, and the music that went with that scene... also had a softness to it, right?

Nevertheless I was under the impression that they might have needed a bit more time to fully introduce her... for my taste her "I like him" in the cab came a bit too fast. But I might change my mind about that once I've seen the episode again.

I liked Sherlock from the minute he sent everyone those "wrong" text messages in A Study In Pink. For me, the only surprising element is the fact that all of John's previous girlfriends have hated him. He's clearly just been dating the wrong women.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2014 12:19 am  #8

I'm not that surprised by her "I like him".

When I meet someone new, I'm usually able to say "I like him/her" or "I don't like him/her" within a few minutes. And I rarely change my mind later. It's a question of feelings.

Besides, I guess John must have talked to her about Sherlock so he's not a complete stranger to her. I know we're not supposed to love every person our loved one appreciates, but seeing as she seems very much like John, I couldn't see her not loving Sherlock (John's best friend couldn't be a complete asshole. Even if he may sound as one at first, he obviously has other qualities or he wouldn't have been John's best friend and John wouldn't have grieved that way after his "death", see my point?), just like I can't imagine Sherlock dislike her like he disliked Jeanette for example. And that scene when she says she will talk to John is indeed very well done. Sherlock seems surprised that she'd do such a thing for him when they have barely met, and when he deduces her, I also noticed that it was different than with other people, it was very sweet. I haven't had time to read all the things, but those I've read were rather positive ones.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 2, 2014 12:25 am)

Just like old times...

January 2, 2014 12:24 am  #9

I'll definitely have to watch those first scenes with her very closely again, because I couldn't help myself but practically feel the attempt of Gatiss to make us like her right away - which isn't a bad thing, I just was under the impression as if maybe he tried a bit too hard too fast to show us how lovely she is. (I know, that probably doesn't sound very nice, but I just don't know how to express my feelings any better right now...)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 2, 2014 12:56 am  #10

SolarSystem wrote:

I'll definitely have to watch those first scenes with her very closely again, because I couldn't help myself but practically feel the attempt of Gatiss to make us like her right away - which isn't a bad thing, I just was under the impression as if maybe he tried a bit too hard too fast to show us how lovely she is. (I know, that probably doesn't sound very nice, but I just don't know how to express my feelings any better right now...)

I think thems seem to happen fast sometimes because we only have three episodes to get them all in.

And as for Mary, let the mystery begin..........

Didn't see it while watching but there it is  "Liar."   Now, it could be something as simple as Sherlock knows she lie to John about the moustache.  But we don't really think so do we..........

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 2, 2014 2:30 am  #11

It's really interesting seeing that screencap.... It makes me wonder. Her liking Sherlock doesn't surprise me at all, to be honest. I feel like her character came of really naturally. She's a good balance for for John.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Listen - what I said before, John? I meant it. I don't have friends. I've just got one."

January 2, 2014 7:24 am  #12

I like her. I don't know exactly why but I've liked her since I saw her confidence when she talked, she came along with them. And the scene Sherlock deduced her, I think he had a little bit discomfortable as usual.
I have a weird feeling that this Mary is a fangirl as well.

January 2, 2014 8:34 am  #13

Oh I loved Mary almost immediately; from when she agreed with John that she was definitely the best thing that could have happened to him after Sherlock's death. She seems a very confident, strong and independent woman and I'm really glad to see a character like that.

Last edited by Wholocked (January 2, 2014 8:35 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 2, 2014 9:11 am  #14

There is something about her though, she is very unexplained. How did she get the skip code so fast?

I am assuming she was planted, say to watch John, and then she fell in love with him. I am guessing that the fact John was abducted is related to her, not Sherlock. I think she is concealing something huge,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 2, 2014 10:31 am  #15

Swanpride wrote:

She is a little bit a female version of John, isn't she?

My first reaction when I saw her on setlock. That''s why I thought she would be Harry.
She never told John that she did't like the moustache. Sherlock got that from one look. Brilliant.

She wondered why John shaved. Not because Sherlock wanted him to.  

January 2, 2014 11:44 am  #16

Mary is not making much sense to me. It almost feels like the writers are relying too much on how natural Martin and Amanda are together, so much so they haven't bothered to fill in the blanks for John and Mary's relationship, or why Sherlock would be so at ease with her when he was always so distant with John's other girlfriends.  Didn't sit right somehow...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 2, 2014 11:50 am  #17

Maybe she was experienced in reading these kind of messages. Maybe she was threatend before.

January 2, 2014 12:43 pm  #18

I think it may be that Mary's past etc. is deliberately kept in the dark for the future episodes. There is usually more to it than we expect and I think she may either involved with CAM or is his real target. 
Because if John was meant to die the warning would have made no sense. The whole dramatic bonfire scene was created for another purpose. 
As for her and Sherlock - he maybe feels that she is right for John. Or he is distracted by his attempt to make up with John. And of course she is the one who offers to bring John around to forgiving Sherlock which is a big promise. She could have told him to piss off for being to cruel to John after all but does not.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2014 12:49 pm  #19

I like the scene when Mary reads John's blog to John.

January 2, 2014 12:52 pm  #20

I like her very much. I had never seen Amanda in a film and she is lovely. I have no exact suspicions but we know that with Moftiss we are always in a for a surprise. And there is the fact that the texts were sent to her and not to Sherlock. I think she or John may be targeted, not Sherlock, and he gets involved because of his attachment to them (and because of being intrigued by his new foe CAM). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera