BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2014 10:37 pm  #1

Derren Brown gag

I thought it was phenomenal, good old British humour.

Anyone else like it?

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 2, 2014 12:18 am  #2

Re: Derren Brown gag

I liked it how they integrated it into the episode after all the fuss about it during filming. This will really well done. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2014 4:01 am  #3

Absolutely brilliantly done. I fell for it, then the pay off. Obvious they where playing a huge joke on all the theorists!

January 2, 2014 4:15 am  #4

Most of the episode felt like a love story to the theorists but kept enough composure to let them know there were still alone.

Nicely done in my opinion.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 2, 2014 10:46 am  #5

Could someone British please explain the Derren Brown thing to us non-Brits? They referenced him in a recent Doctor Who episode too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 2, 2014 11:17 am  #6

Just look him up. He is a magician. People see him as a kind of menalist or genius in manipulation.
Expert in reading people, their behaviour...
Works with NLP.

January 2, 2014 11:22 am  #7

I have looked him up. I still don't get why he's suddenly showing up in Sherlock and referenced in Doctor Who episodes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 2, 2014 11:27 am  #8

Because he´s a friend of Mark Gatiss? No, honestly, because of "it´s a magic trick". Literally taken from the authors. Fits perfectly, I think. It´s a joke, of course.

January 2, 2014 11:29 am  #9

Um...yeah...I get that it's a British in-joke. I was just hoping someone might explain it. But maybe he's just a personality and you have to be British to understand the joke *shrug*

January 2, 2014 11:31 am  #10

But even if we don´t know Derren Brown: Somebody is shown who is hypnotizing John. To make him believe that his friend has jumped/is dead. That joke is also understandable without any insider knowledge and has to do with the note (magic trick). So it fits.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 2, 2014 11:33 am)

January 2, 2014 11:35 am  #11

Isn't it obvious? He is possibly somebody who gave advice about deductions about people, their outfit and behaviour.

January 2, 2014 11:36 am  #12

They probably could have also taken Copperfield instead.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 2, 2014 11:37 am  #13

Mattlocked wrote:

They probably could have also taken Copperfield instead.

Exactly.

January 2, 2014 2:42 pm  #14

Derren Brown is a mentalist and trickster as well as a magician. He became a household name in the UK because, on his tv show, he tricked people into doing things (alledgedly) just by talking to them. So he's associated with confidence tricks and a certain spine-tingling fear of his seemingly god-like power over people. Unlike other mentalists though he's very clear that everything he does is a trick and it can be scientifically explained. In fact, he goes out of his way to discredit charlatans who prey on people by pretending they have supernatural powers.

He has a charismatic personality, appears to be very intelligent, is a bit kooky, is able to manipulate people, and has quite a wicked sense of humour. Sounds like anyone we know..? 

January 2, 2014 3:52 pm  #15

Swanpride wrote:

It actually sounds like "The Mentalist", but I guess that's not who you meant....

No ;-)

January 2, 2014 3:57 pm  #16

Just youtube 'derren brown martin freeman' and see the real thing.

January 2, 2014 4:16 pm  #17

But they did film at least one fake scene!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2014 4:17 pm  #18

Moriarty shaking hands with Mycroft?

January 2, 2014 4:24 pm  #19

Indeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2014 4:35 pm  #20

I missed that, too. And I don´t think a scene like that will come in ep. 2 or 3.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 2, 2014 4:36 pm)

Board footera