BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2014 10:34 pm  #1

Canon Nods

Which ones did you spot? Obviously I've only seen it once so was focusing mainly on the overall plot but there were a couple that stood out...

- the hat deduction. I'm pretty sure that was originally from Blue Carbuncle.
- Sherlock and Mycroft competing in deductions. They do that in Greek Interpreter I think.
- Lord Moran / Sebastian Moran (Empty House)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2014 10:35 pm  #2

Re: Canon Nods

John or James Watson? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 1, 2014 10:36 pm  #3

kittykat wrote:

John or James Watson? 

YES!!

And I just realised I missed out the most hilarious one...where John thinks the guy in the doctor's is Sherlock in disguise. They even had all the right books mentioned - British Birds, Holy War etc. Really clever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2014 10:57 pm  #4

And when Sherlock only reads every third word of the text Mary got. I think it's from tje Adventure of the Gloria Scott.

January 1, 2014 11:04 pm  #5

Swanpride wrote:

The one case...the one with the stepfather pretending to be the boyfriend of his stepdaughter...that's the plot of one of the stories.

Indeed. That's from A case of identity.

I need to watch it again because I probably missed a lot of details and references!

Just like old times...

January 1, 2014 11:04 pm  #6

Swanpride wrote:

And the scene in which John thinks his patient is Sherlock in disguise...there is a similiar one in one of the Basil Rathbone movies. Complete with trying to remove the beard.

Yes,  that was great.   Saw it also as a nod to the 'Empty House' -  where Sherlock returns as
a disguised 'bookseller'.    This 'bookseller'   turned out to be real, to John's embarrassment.   ha.

January 1, 2014 11:13 pm  #7

Ohhhhh, of course, I never got the John/James thing. That's actually really funny!!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

January 2, 2014 12:23 am  #8

The London quote "A great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Islands are irresistibly drained" actually was made by Watson in ASIS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 2, 2014 10:17 pm  #9

Another nod which I have realized today: In the second restaurant Sherlock tries once more to explain how he did the fall. He starts with his 13 possibilities, and the second contains a "Japanese defence technique", but suddenly he is interrupted by John. Of course he is talking about Baritsu here .

January 2, 2014 10:45 pm  #10

the train station stop is given as "Sumatra Road". BTW I grew up round the corner from Sumatra Road, as it happens (I think there is only one in London) and there is no train stop there, though the line it would presumably be on is the Jubilee Line which runs to Baker Street. It lies between West Hampstead station and Kilburn, both on the Jubilee line.

Last edited by beekeeper (January 2, 2014 10:47 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 3, 2014 11:13 am  #11

Mycroft saying 'elementary'. 

January 3, 2014 11:33 am  #12

I love those references to the books. I grabbed the books again while watching the show.
Loved the stepfather thing.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 3, 2014 10:44 pm  #13

Mycroft saying that Sherlock's been "a busy little bee".

Referencing the beekeeping? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 4, 2014 11:57 am  #14

There also were quite some references to other adaptations, especially 'The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 4, 2014 4:12 pm  #15

"You know my methods Watson, I am well known to be indestructible" is a quote from the 1965 movie 'A Study in Terror"

January 5, 2014 12:13 pm  #16

With regard to the torture scene Mycroft mentions Sherlock taking down Baron Maupertuis. This is an allusion to "The Adventure of the Reigate Squire" where the case of Baron Maupertuis is described as exhausting and detrimental to Holmes' health. So this is quite fitting. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 5, 2014 12:18 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2014 12:24 pm  #17

SusiGo wrote:

With regard to the torture scene Mycroft mentions Sherlock taking down Baron Maupertuis. This is an allusion to "The Adventure of the Reigate Squire" where the case of Baron Maupertuis is described as exhausting and detrimental to Holmes' health. So this is quite fitting. 

Great one, Susi. I've missed that one completely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2014 12:51 pm  #18

I didn't find these two myself, but I saw them on Wikipedia and thought they shouldn't go unmentioned :

At one point, John asks the bearded man selling DVDs if his usual GP is named "Dr. Verner", who, in "The Adventure of the Norwood Builder", is a cousin of Sherlock Holmes who buys Watson's practice so he can move back into his old rooms on Baker Street upon Holmes's return.

Mary is seen reading John's blog, and the passage she reads aloud is an almost verbatim excerpt from chapter six of The Sign of Four ("[s]o swift, silent, and furtive were his movements, like those of a trained bloodhound picking out a scent...").

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

January 9, 2014 11:06 pm  #19

The saucy Dvd- " Tree Worshipers" from the Empty House "The Orgin of Tree Worship" the only book Dr Watson sees after knocking the books down of Holmes in disguise. 

January 10, 2014 5:15 pm  #20

The Adventure of the Reigate Squire: Baron Maupertuis' schemes described as 'Colossal' by Sherlock
Reference to Tibet in the Buddhit monastery scene from The Final Problem  (and to Benedict teaching English in Tibet? and his leaning towards Bhuddism)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

Board footera