BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2014 5:55 pm  #261

Re: The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

Staying alive, I completey agree with you, and as I wrote above, people around me already announced, not to follow closely anymore, but we can't force the writers to reconsider, or at least tidy up the more intriguing loose threads, like IOU. (at the moment it gets always explained away as Moriarty being crazy and simply messing with Sherlock, but that's not good writing, I'm afraid) My feeling at the moment is, that they might have thought, too much time elapsed for bringing it all up again, and it might be too clunky.
And, yes, TRF was a dark and complex piece of art, that invited fans to play detective, and Mofftiss stirred the pot by making all kinds of cryptic remarks and telling us to play video sleuths. It would be sad, if that gets just a bit devalued because of missing explanations. And, it's not because I want MY theories to be true. I just want SOME explanations for the complex things playing out between Sherlock and Moriarty. But the writers might have felt, that's sooo two years ago'.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 6, 2014 6:17 pm)

January 6, 2014 6:11 pm  #262

Ok guys, let's tackle this Anderson theory once and for all! 

Some of you are referencing to the amount of detail that was mentioned in that theory since "Sherlock" narrated it himself. But if anyone seriously believes in a simple giant blue cushion to be the saviour of the day, then you probably haven't been watching the series long enough or know Holmes' character enough. Nothing about that cushion screams "clever". Holmes is clever. Even Moriarty knows that Sherlock always expects everything to be "clever". That's his nature. That's how his mind and processing works. Besides, does anyone have a clue how LONG (and boring) it would take to inflate that giant thing AND deflate it without drawing any sort of attention? Seems far too risky and time consuming....and boring! (Sherlock doesn't like boring!)

Moreover, the idea of the scene being blocked off by the Homeless network is complete nonsense! This is a busy hospital we're talking about! People's lives depend on being able to access that area, so it couldn't be blocked off, especially by a group of homeless people!

Back to Sherlock narrating the "details". Ummm, did anyone remember The Blind Banker episode? Sherlock's banker friend had traveled twice during the month. He always teased Sherlock about his deductive skills back in the days. Sherlock deduced from his watch that he had travelled twice around the world during that month. BUT what was Sherlock's "explaination"??? To avoid a confrontation with a "lesser" mind, Sherlock said he got the info from chatting with the man's secretary. Seems rather logical to the lesser mind and raises no big questions. John knew otherwise and asked Sherlock about it, "You did not chat with his secretary. You did that just to IRRITATE him!"

De'ja vu??? 

I keep mentioning that Sherlock was snickering and laughing at the end of that theory as if he played a really bad joke...

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

January 6, 2014 6:19 pm  #263

Stayin Alive wrote:

Ummm, did anyone remember The Blind Banker episode? Sherlock's banker friend had traveled twice during the month. He always teased Sherlock about his deductive skills back in the days. Sherlock deduced from his watch that he had travelled twice around the world during that month. BUT what was Sherlock's "explaination"??? To avoid a confrontation with a "lesser" mind, Sherlock said he got the info from chatting with the man's secretary. Seems rather logical to the lesser mind and raises no big questions. John knew otherwise and asked Sherlock about it, "You did not chat with his secretary. You did that just to IRRITATE him!"

De'ja vu??? 

Yes, exact my thoughts.

> Don't take it personally, please. <

edit: foreign-language-problems: grammar, orthography, wrong vocables, breaks

January 6, 2014 6:20 pm  #264

So you think they will come up with an explanation in HLV? When there is so much else going on? Not sure about that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 6:27 pm  #265

To those of you wishing for complexity and darkness, I think you are going to get more darkness than you ever imagined in HLV.   I truly enjoyed the first two episodes, humour and all.  However I also believe without a doubt that that Gatiss and Moffat have lifted us up this far because the fall is going to further still. 

Even if there is more humour in Series 3 so far it is still following a certain pattern.  In Series 1 and 2 the first two episodes had a good deal of lightheartedness and were followed by a finale that grew darker with each scene and left us in a puddle of angst at the end.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 6, 2014 6:33 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 6, 2014 6:38 pm  #266

SusiGo, that's my point! Stayin' alive's arguments are completely valid (it actually doesn't take that long to blow up such a pillow, but it is ridiculously noisy, and the idea to block the whole street and to evacuate all the buildings, because there are windows, you know, and people living and working there, might look out of them). But I also cannot see a way to present another theory AND tie up loose ends in the last episode. And to postpone the solution for another two years... I don't know.

January 6, 2014 6:40 pm  #267

completely agree with tonnaree 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 6, 2014 6:42 pm  #268

SusiGo wrote:

So you think they will come up with an explanation in HLV? When there is so much else going on? Not sure about that. 

Maybe or not. But I think, they would not take an explanation to the 4th serie. After the Last Vow the riddle is over. If I like it or not.

> Don't take it personally, please. <

edit: foreign-language-problems: grammar, orthography, wrong vocables, breaks

January 6, 2014 6:43 pm  #269

SusiGo wrote:

Well I haven't seen TSoT as yet (I'll watch it tonight), so I'm not sure what's in there. But, I believe elements from TRF will appear in season 4 or a later season (depending how long they choose to keep it going). They don't wanna pack too much into season 3 to distract from the new main villian. I'm guessing they might focus on a new villian in each season and bring back the REAL story from TRF rooftop in a later season. It's too soon to bring back Moriarty. He's the boss of bosses. Season 1 started with everyone anticipating him and it's only fair that the last season/episode of the entire series' life should end with him. One final showdown. I think you all agree no one else deserves that honour! They first need fans to forget about him and accept he's "dead", so that when they pull the trump to resurrect him, it will totally knock our socks off when we least expect!

But my thoughts on HLV are that, should CAM be captured at the end of the episode:

Sherlock may find some evidence or maybe a phone or phone number in CAM's possession.

He will then dial/re-dial that number.

At that same moment you may hear that all familiar ringtone "Stayin Alive!" ringing in the darkness.

Moriarty's voice will then taunt from the shadows, "Sherrrrrlockkk....Did you miss me?"  

Sherlock's expression turns cold with his eyes wide open.

The screen goes black and the credits start rolling.

Anticipate season 4 episode 1 for 2 more years!!!!

January 6, 2014 6:46 pm  #270

Moriarty is dead and not coming back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2014 7:03 pm  #271

besleybean wrote:

I honestly wish we could bet something on this one! 

January 6, 2014 7:14 pm  #272

I'm not a gambler.
But I am just speaking up for Mark, who is getting heart sick of people asking him about this.
I love Andrew and shall dearly miss him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2014 7:49 pm  #273

Honestly, I cannot understand why people want Moriarty back. I think Sherlock as a series can only survive if it is constantly developed and refreshed. I would be really disappointed if Moriarty came back. The characters have to move on, there will be a new and different villain and I am excited to see him in action. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 7:51 pm  #274

exactly, Susi! I think Magnussen will be a satisfying replacement of a chief villain!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 6, 2014 8:07 pm  #275

Stayin Alive wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I honestly wish we could bet something on this one! 

100 bucks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 6, 2014 8:08 pm  #276

SusiGo wrote:

Honestly, I cannot understand why people want Moriarty back. I think Sherlock as a series can only survive if it is constantly developed and refreshed. I would be really disappointed if Moriarty came back. The characters have to move on, there will be a new and different villain and I am excited to see him in action. 

I miss Moriarty but for the sake of the show I don't want him back...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 6, 2014 8:09 pm  #277

Seriously guys! If Moriarty is THE Napoleon of crime, the boss of bosses, then please tell me why they introduced him so EARLY rather than the little guys like CAM, Moran, etc.???? Why introduce him and kill him off so early in the series? Does that make sense? How then would you suggest the finale of the entire series to end? Who will be the "villian of honour" of the series' finale episode? If not Moriarty, then who?

January 6, 2014 8:26 pm  #278

Because they didn't know they were going to get a series 2!

January 6, 2014 8:36 pm  #279

Stayin Alive wrote:

Seriously guys! If Moriarty is THE Napoleon of crime, the boss of bosses, then please tell me why they introduced him so EARLY rather than the little guys like CAM, Moran, etc.???? Why introduce him and kill him off so early in the series? Does that make sense? How then would you suggest the finale of the entire series to end? Who will be the "villian of honour" of the series' finale episode? If not Moriarty, then who?

Who says that there will be a series finale? Who says that a villain has to be involved? Maybe the last episode will be about John driving his wheelchair off a cliff. 
Moriarty is not everything that the show has to offer and there is much more. You shouldn't focus so much on him imo because we definitely won't hear a "Surprise bitch I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me". Time to move on. Past things are past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 6, 2014 8:38 pm  #280

Well said, Mary. And the show is called Sherlock after all, not Moriarty. 

Board footera