BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2012 4:24 am  #41

Re: Sherlock's relationship with Mycroft

kazza474 wrote:

It's not a love story guys.

Yes, it is.
A very twisted and Holmesian love story, but - yes.
They may not like each other but they do care.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 5, 2012 4:29 am  #42

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 8:15 am  #43

2 can play at that game!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 5, 2012 8:18 am  #44

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 8:29 am  #45

Ew... 

I didn't expect that from anyone, let alone you, Kazza!
I hope you're suitably ashamed, Young Lady!! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 5, 2012 8:31 am  #46

Me?

YOUNG lady???

Oh oops, I'm supposed to behave aren't I?
Don't tell the boss ok?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 8:39 am  #47

Ok, I won't... well, I probably won't, maybe won't... 

June 5, 2012 2:16 pm  #48

It's absolutely a love story and a thriller and a comedy and a campy over the top comic book. It is everything one could want and that is why we are all here If Sherlock had no feelings he never would have jumped off the roof, saved Irene, been dumb enough to decipher the 007 email to impress her or awkwardly apologized to John after the I have no friends rant. The premise that Sherlock is so superior intellectually and so stunted and repressed emotionally is what makes him interesting, to me anyway. Watching his feelings and sensitivity emerge little by little is one of many reasons I love the show. It does nothing to diminish the marvelous intellectual deductions and captivating adventure. It enhances it.

Mycroft knows who he is: the romantic detective ex pirate

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 5, 2012 3:48 pm  #49

Well said SP! The feelings may be there by the bucketload, but they may remain unexpressed/repressed often due to upbringing or perhaps even damage done later in life. Non expression can be due to fear. People who show they can be trusted in this case John, Mrs Hudson, Lestrade and gradually, over the length of the 2 series so far Molly also, can break through this.This is the arc of the story to date (or one layer of it at least) but the 'downside' of this emotional progression is Sherlock's increasing vulnerability.

June 5, 2012 4:14 pm  #50

Great observations Jane! You and I are peas in a pod

June 6, 2012 3:38 am  #51

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

It's absolutely a love story and a thriller and a comedy and a campy over the top comic book. It is everything one could want and that is why we are all here If Sherlock had no feelings he never would have jumped off the roof, saved Irene, been dumb enough to decipher the 007 email to impress her or awkwardly apologized to John after the I have no friends rant. The premise that Sherlock is so superior intellectually and so stunted and repressed emotionally is what makes him interesting, to me anyway. Watching his feelings and sensitivity emerge little by little is one of many reasons I love the show. It does nothing to diminish the marvelous intellectual deductions and captivating adventure. It enhances it.

Mycroft knows who he is: the romantic detective ex pirate

I agree 100% (whether it's true or not...) 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 6, 2012 3:40 am  #52

kazza474 wrote:

No, I believe he said it because Mrs Hudson WAS rambling on and he wanted her to shut up!
I would have said it.

I am believing you, kazza. 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 6, 2012 6:30 am  #53

Everything emotional is in the eye of the beholder.
These words you have used are emotionalising or sentimentalising the stories.
A love story? I think not. In the words of Moffatt, it is a story 'about love' but not a love story.

You have been warned to 'sentimentalise at your own peril' and I believe that the mystical aura some have painted around Sherlock will soon tarnish with the next series.
I am not saying you will hate him, but you will see that what you are treasuring at the moment has a very different meaning to that which you wish it to have.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 11:05 am  #54

kazza474 wrote:

Everything emotional is in the eye of the beholder.
These words you have used are emotionalising or sentimentalising the stories.
A love story? I think not. In the words of Moffatt, it is a story 'about love' but not a love story.

You have been warned to 'sentimentalise at your own peril' and I believe that the mystical aura some have painted around Sherlock will soon tarnish with the next series.
I am not saying you will hate him, but you will see that what you are treasuring at the moment has a very different meaning to that which you wish it to have.

Kazza, you sound just like my boyfriend He gets all manly and serious and dismisses any romantic aspect to this series. You are both cute in your rooster like protestations Yes, I am aware of the warning about sentiment. Fortunately I am also aware that the masters of misdirection and half truths who created this show love to keep a girl off guard. But my nose is deep in the hunt and I shall not lose sight of my prey

June 6, 2012 11:18 am  #55

Tantalus wrote:

I agree 100% (whether it's true or not...) 

Ahh, Tantalus. The girl is honored to have you as a cherished ally. As Sidney Greenstreet would have said to Sam Spade: Glad to have you along on the quest

June 6, 2012 11:32 am  #56

The stories are based on the canon. I prefer the more purist approach to viewing them. Romance is not part of the canon.

I sometimes wish Benedict wasn't the star of this show, I sometimes wish there wasn't the underlying joke of John & Sherlock as a couple. That whole thing frankly bores me.
However, as it has achieved some success in promoting the reading & appreciation of the originals, I can understand why it is there.

The things we do to get people to appreciate the classics!

Unfortunately, as I have lamented many times before, the success would be limited. Even in this small forum, I would venture a guess at less than 50% of members as being ones who really HAVE read & appreciated the canon.
But Sherlock is the 'in thing' at the moment, we can only hope for more.

I doubt you will find any 'misdirections' eventually leading to any type of love story. But in this day & age many seem to hedge their bets so that they can say ' I told you so' no matter what the outcome.

I am well aware of the mocking tones in here; they don't bother me. I have formed an opinion and have solid reasons for doing so. My opinions are based on fact.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 12:42 pm  #57

Kazza, Holmes would indeed be proud of your independence and would wholeheartedly support your view and protection of the canon.  I can easily see you being invited in to 221B as the rest of us wait outside No doubt Holmes would sneer at my presumptions and in his eyes I would never measure up to the cold calculations of The Woman

I have a number of friends who I thought would fall in love with this show. To my great surprise they have spurned it simply on the basis of violation of canon. In their eyes this entire 21st century fast paced tech oriented version is blasphemous. To my way of thinking it is an incredibly brilliant example of taking an art treasure and honorably restoring it to modern standards, realities and complexities that I believe the author would have embraced and employed. Hopefully the modern audience will flock to it as the readers of The Strand once did. I am holding out hope for a Dr. Who-like run

June 6, 2012 11:37 pm  #58

It seems to me that a part of the genius of Sherlock is that it can be viewed in many ways and that each way is correct in its own particular way.  Sure, canon is canon and an author, in this case ACD, may have felt that his characters and stories had certain meanings, but readers will always read things into stories and viewers will always see things in TV shows that the writers may not have ever realized were there or intended to be there.  And in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that.  In fact, if everyone agreed, what would be the point of having a discussion?

Whatever the relationship is between Sherlock and Mycroft, and I really can't decide if they like each other deep down or despise each other, reading what other people think has broadened my understanding of how they relate to each other.  Likewise with the relationship between Sherlock and John.  I do think that many people watched the show and got hooked on that, and then have gone to read the source material.  I myself find it really interesting to read comparisons between the show and the books.  Even though I've been a reader of mysteries my entire life, ACD never really appealed to me until I saw this version of the show.  So now I'm reading the canon to see how the characters were originally developed.  I haven't gotten to Mycroft yet but I'm looking forward to it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 7, 2012 2:19 am  #59

kazza474 wrote:

I sometimes wish Benedict wasn't the star of this show,

But are "all the girls" going wild about Sherlock because of Benedict, or are they going wild about Benedict because of Sherlock?

June 7, 2012 3:32 am  #60

I doubt they know, let alone me know.
I don't think like they do.
Thankfully.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera