BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2012 2:45 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock's relationship with Mycroft

Or he's been conned into thinking that Mycroft isn't one of Sherlock's friends.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 30, 2012 2:20 am  #22

I think the reality is that, to the outside world at least, the relationship between Sherlock and Mycroft is strained. So if Moriarty is going to "burn" Sherlock, he's going to go after the people in Sherlock's life who he has a genuine regard for and who he believes require his protection. Sherlock wouldn't throw himself off a roof for Mycroft, because Mycroft is perfectly capable of taking care of himself - he's intelligent/brilliant, he's protected by his position, he's rarely vulnerable to that kind of attack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 30, 2012 5:17 am  #23

Yes, well I am loathe to say they have totally departed from the canon regarding the relationship of Sherlock & Mycroft. There is not enough evidence of that from the canon.
Remember, we are comparing behaviour from two completely different eras.
Certainly we see MORE of Mycroft in the BBC version, hence a more fuller character emerges. And yes he is a trimmer version now, but isn't that the case with many men of his social standing and vocation these days to appear more acceptable in society? Obviously he works at this, hence the references about diet from Sherlock.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 1, 2012 3:12 pm  #24

I like the way we see more of Mycroft in the series. To me he was always an interesting character even though he appeared in only a handful of the stories and not in a major capacity. He was a good enough character for me to get one of my friends to play him when we used to act out the stories at school (and that was years before BBC Sherlock). And then I'd get Moriarty to kidnap him and I had to rescue him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 1, 2012 11:20 pm  #25

Remember in the canon Mycroft is actually even better than Sherlock at deductions and analysis. It's just that he's lazy. I don't think we should forget about Mycroft's ability in these areas. Call when John stays at Sarah's in The Blind Banker it is Mycroft who corrects Sherlock about where John has been sleeping, correctly as it happens.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 1, 2012 11:32 pm  #26

Yeah I like that bit! Mycroft is actually super intelligent.

Watched Scandal again tonight. The scene in the morgue is actually rather touching.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 23, 2012 4:21 am  #27

Ok--  so  we're talking abt Mycroft and Sherlock's 'sibling rivalry'   (BBC)   or  friendliness  (canon)   I  think the BBC  is  giving us the other side of the same coin.   And....ok,  I've seen   all six episodes,  some more than once.   And ir's made me wonder.   Remember in  Scandal...  Irene says that Jim Moriarty sends his love,  and then Mycroft  says,  "Seems desperate for my attention,  which I'm sure can be arranged."  ok.....WHY  did the writers have him say that? Hmmmm?   Welll..   What if Mycroft is actually FRIENDS  with Moriarty?  And,  in Hounds,  why did Mycroft give the order to let Moriarty go after they'd had him in custody for awhile?   Hmmmm????

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 23, 2012 4:23 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 23, 2012 4:29 am  #28

By saying Moriaarty was desperate for his attention, he meant due to Moriarty being involved in so many crimes of late. Saying "I'm sure that can be arranged" was meaning that Mycroft would organise to have him captured & brought in for interrogation (which he did soon afterwards). It was referring to what was coming next.

After interrogating him & getting nowhere, he HAD to release him. He had nothing to have him charged with.

I very much doubt they are friends.
Besides, that goes against the intentions of the canon by miles & just would NOT be even thought about by Moftiss.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 23, 2012 8:28 pm  #29

Microft:'you can imagine what the Christmas dinners like' 

I <3 Sherlock Holmes
    Twitter = @ellen_lowe

May 31, 2012 11:06 am  #30

I agree, the relationship between Sherlock and Mycroft is fascinating.  And feels very natural, although expressed extremely.  Mycroft protective, Sherlock resenting interference.  Family.

I enjoyed mk hey's analysis of the brothers very much.  Wholocked, you provided a link there back in March.  I added a bit recently to the discussion there, about what everyone knew and didn't know at the end of sip... In the scene at Speedy's between Mycroft and John, that started with that heavenly view from above, of Mycroft's umbrella in the rain.

http://mkhey.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/sherlock-technique-part-vii-mycroft-as-ever-i-am-concerned-about-you/

Sorry, not sure how to make that a hyperlink.  Let me know what you think, thanks!

June 1, 2012 2:31 am  #31

Longsnowsmoon wrote:

I agree, the relationship between Sherlock and Mycroft is fascinating.  And feels very natural, although expressed extremely.  Mycroft protective, Sherlock resenting interference.  Family.

I enjoyed mk hey's analysis of the brothers very much.  Wholocked, you provided a link there back in March.  I added a bit recently to the discussion there, about what everyone knew and didn't know at the end of sip... In the scene at Speedy's between Mycroft and John, that started with that heavenly view from above, of Mycroft's umbrella in the rain.

http://mkhey.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/sherlock-technique-part-vii-mycroft-as-ever-i-am-concerned-about-you/

Sorry, not sure how to make that a hyperlink.  Let me know what you think, thanks!

Hi Longsnowsmoon, your link worked perfectly. I had a look at your comment and wanted to say I totally agree.  Beautiful analysis of John' motivation. I also think Mycroft knew that Sherlock had been involved in Irene's survival.

Last edited by Aurora (June 1, 2012 5:24 am)

June 1, 2012 3:29 am  #32

Aurora wrote:

I'm also think Mycroft knew that Sherlock had been involved in Irene's survival.

Well, I certainly hope he did. That's one of my problems with Scandal--Mycroft looks inept throughout. That's not the Mycroft of the canon. I hope he's just pretending.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 1, 2012 1:29 pm  #33

Aurora, thank you!  So gratifying when someone says "yes, I agree"! . Glad the link worked, I am functional online but still lacking experience in so many areas...

Tantalus, I plan to watch season two again this weekend, if I have time, and I will watch Scandal carefully to assess Mycroft's competence (or lack thereof.). My general impression is that Irene has simply thrown an unexpected wrench into every character's game, and they all fail in various ways as a result of her presence.  John gets agitated and jealous, Sherlock blathers on and is distracted, Mycroft can't calculate and control everything as he is accustomed to.  She is an outside factor redefining the equation, and everyone is trying to cope.

Of course, I am watching the PBS versions, so I'm missing some moments, argh.  Must get the DVD very soon!

June 4, 2012 10:56 am  #34

I love that the writers balance Sherlock's childlike petulance and outrageously blunt frankness with Mycroft's cool under control even tempered diplomatic sophistication. One can see them growing up that way. Having Mycroft serve in the uppity diplomatic corps makes it even more compelling The only person Mycroft seems to get upset at is Sherlock himself. I find this dynamic truly realistic in a sibling sort of way and it adds wonderful chemistry to their relationship.

I too am in love with the cigarette scene. Such brilliant dialogue. "Low tar"  "You've only known her two weeks" is just amazing stuff.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 4, 2012 11:32 am  #35

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

The only person Mycroft seems to get upset at is Sherlock himself.

Oh I don't know  " Shut up Mrs Hudson" seems a bit like he was upset.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 11:40 am  #36

Well, she was saying that he didn't care enough about his brother!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 4, 2012 1:28 pm  #37

Good point Kazza. That was quite rude of him wasn't it? Poor Mrs. H! 

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 4, 2012 8:19 pm  #38

Well if someone said you did not care enough about your sibling then you would get a bit upset maybe that just shows how much he actually does care

I <3 Sherlock Holmes
    Twitter = @ellen_lowe

June 4, 2012 8:23 pm  #39

Ahh... Brotherly Lurve! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 5, 2012 3:47 am  #40

Ellen5000 wrote:

Well if someone said you did not care enough about your sibling then you would get a bit upset maybe that just shows how much he actually does care

No, I believe he said it because Mrs Hudson WAS rambling on and he wanted her to shut up!
I would have said it.
And Sherlock actually did say it too afterwards.

I don't think he said it because he was upset with anyone questioning his & Sherlock's relationship.

You know there ARE very beautiful, poetic type parts of these shows & they show in the script, in the language used, etc.
But there are also some just 'straight' in your face parts.
Not everything is 'beautiful/ lovely/ wondrous'; some is just straight fact.
It's not a love story guys.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera