BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2013 4:48 pm  #1

Season 3 DVD/Blu-ray question

Sorry guys, I had no idea where to put this! I'm trying so hard to avoid spoilers (except for 'official' trailers) that I'm afraid to go near anything marked "season 3!"

Anyway, do you know if the Christmas special just aired (Many Happy Returns) will be on the DVD for Season 3?

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

December 30, 2013 5:00 pm  #2

Re: Season 3 DVD/Blu-ray question

Sorry, I have no idea. Amazon does not say anything about bonus tracks or extras.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 30, 2013 5:04 pm  #3

All of the Doctor Who dvds have had the prequels and minisodes as 'special features' on their dvds, so I would assume this would have the same.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 22, 2014 7:20 am  #4

sj4iy wrote:

All of the Doctor Who dvds have had the prequels and minisodes as 'special features' on their dvds, so I would assume this would have the same.

Okay, I'm a Brit and have just received the Region 2 version of the season 3 dvds. There are some special features but mainly about the technical aspect of how certain things were shot, plus a section on the fans, the villains and speculation.
However, there is NO sign of the Many Happy Returns mini episode, NOR any audio commentaries.
I'm assuming they wanted to get the discs out asap.  Personally, I would have swapped having the tiny wait for the mini ep and the audio comms.  Particularly the latter.  Anecdotal material is vital to me to satisfy my 'what was going through their minds when' bunnies.
Mixed feelings about this dvd release.  Can only hope we get better extras on some kind of future bundled special edition - if there's ever going to be such a thing.

January 22, 2014 7:29 pm  #5

Bought mine today - three extras, no commentaries and no Many Happy Returns...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 22, 2014 8:47 pm  #6

Indeed. And as I posted in the other thread, here's a little more detailed info on what's in the specials:

Fans, Villains and Speculation
A featurette on the conception and evolution of series 3 and its characters, featuring interview snippets with the actors (mainly Martin, Benedict and Amanda) and Gatiss and Moffat. Also includes bits on the fandom phenomenon and how hundreds of fans keep turning up on set. Some fans are prominently featured or even interviewed.

Shooting Sherlock
It's not about shooting Sherlock, as in how is the show filmed, it's about actually shooting Sherlock with a gun in His Last Vow. Lots of technical behind-the-scenes things, such as the rig they built to have Benedict fall backwards, the slow-mo shots, another rig they made for the camera that spins in 360° circles, etc. Also has interview snippets interspersed with different people.

The Fall
A featurette about the reveal of how on earth Sherlock survived the fall off of the Bart's hospital roof. They talk about the different versions they showed/filmed, about the canon lore, about the different theories on the internet, and some more technical things on how the different fall scenes were filmed. This also has interview snippets included, mostly Moffat and Gatiss.

I didn't keep time how long exactly the featurettes were, but I'd say about 15 or 20 minutes each. I presume them all put together was what PBS aired after TEH, but I'm not sure.

Board footera