BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 11:45 pm  #101

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

Sherlock will walk in on John, who will say something matter-of-factly, walk away to grab something (e.g., tea) and pause/crumble just out of sight.. and then it's all up to the brilliant writing to deal with the shock in a 'realistic manner'!

June 27, 2012 11:50 pm  #102

ancientsgate wrote:

I sat here and cried. *sniff*  Is it okay if I sat here and cried? OMG.

Not to worry ancientsgate and tobe, I've only watched this video about 7 million times today, tearing up each time and never getting tired of that beautiful reaction.  Boy, is my imagination running rampant right about now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 28, 2012 3:22 am  #103

Ok  here's another idea of How will John react when he sees Sherlock--

OH.  MY.  GOD.   just like that lady on Friends used to do it.   yeah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 28, 2012 10:05 am  #104

KeepersPrice wrote:

I found it!  I found it!. For all us emotional sentimental slobs out there here's a clip from a movie with Martin Freeman showing a wonderful reaction when he opens a gift - at around "33" on the video. Perhaps a hint of what we might see in John's reaction to Sherlock being alive? (Don't kill me Kazza!  )  This is just for fun.

Emotional Reaction Exemplified

Oh, wonderful acting, Martin (er, I just typed John, confusing fact and fiction seems to became a serious problem with me).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 5, 2012 5:43 pm  #105

ancientsgate wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

And imagine tall Sherlock instead of that woman, them standing in the yard at Christmastime-- maybe that's at John's sister's house or something, and Sherlock shows up, melting out of the bushes lining the yard. So sweet, that performance, the kiss, the alternating emotions. Lovely. "I should you knock you down, you stupid git, after what you put me through. Do you know how I cried? How I couldn't even talk about you or us or any of it to anyone? How I couldn't go back to Baker Street, lie in our bed, watch telly there, anything, for months? Do you know what you put me through?"

*sniff*

Do you mind me joining you?
*brings chocolate and shock blankets*

God, yeah. Plenty of room. *pushes over*

We agree again.

We saw John confirming to Sherlock he did not think Sherlock was a fake just after Lestrade left the flat to get a warrant and again during the note SH "nobody could be that clever" JW "You could" and again at the graveside "one more miracle just for me don' be dead, just stop this". The note has clues for John if he thinks about it later. ie we have heard Sherlock say to Sebastian the banker "not a trick"...

John's regimental motto describes him it is "In Arduis Fidelis" Steadfast or Faithful  in adversity. Therefore I think John will be working his behind off accumulating material to clear his best friend's name.

I don't think it'll be longer than than 18 months apart tbh. A fair bit of staggering and waterworks is my bet and I will, most ambitiously, hit Sherlock myself if he doesn't put out a hand to stop his best friend falling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 5, 2012 5:59 pm  #106

I think Moffat or Gatiss said something about there possibly being a long stream of swear words on John's part, too...

July 6, 2012 5:30 pm  #107

Swear words seem appropriate. I just hope they don't cut them from the American broadcast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 6, 2012 5:36 pm  #108

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Swear words seem appropriate. I just hope they don't cut them from the American broadcast.

Conveniently there will be exactly seven minutes of swear words in the beginning. That means the rest of the episode will be entirely kept intact for you Americans...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 6, 2012 5:41 pm  #109

*weeps* Nooooooo...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

July 6, 2012 5:45 pm  #110

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

*weeps* Nooooooo...

Just kidding, Smoggy... There will be a more or less continuos seven minute beep instead.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 6, 2012 9:16 pm  #111

tobeornot221b wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Conveniently there will be exactly seven minutes of swear words in the beginning. That means the rest of the episode will be entirely kept intact for you Americans...

This is certainly off topic, but I'll chime in here anyway.

Do they allow the F word on BBC? Because on cable, we Americans are now treated to every other swear word, unbleeped. Not on the major 3 networks-- NBC, CBS, ABC--- but on cable only networks, the F word is the only one I don't hear, although now that I think about it, we also don't hear misogynistic names for women, either-- the C word for instance. And no one says the N word to describe people of color. But all of the common variations of using the Lord's name in vain (as they used to so quaintly call it) is all over the place, as is the S word, and people are called bitches and sons of bitches all the time.

I haven't heard one bleep of anything on any Sherlock broadcast I've seen here in the US. But as I say, unless Sherlock and John start with the F this and F that and F-ing this and F-ing that and calling people F*****s, then I don't think we will.

July 8, 2012 3:45 am  #112

ancientsgate wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

This is certainly off topic, but I'll chime in here anyway.

Do they allow the F word on BBC? Because on cable, we Americans are now treated to every other swear word, unbleeped. Not on the major 3 networks-- NBC, CBS, ABC--- but on cable only networks, the F word is the only one I don't hear, although now that I think about it, we also don't hear misogynistic names for women, either-- the C word for instance. And no one says the N word to describe people of color. But all of the common variations of using the Lord's name in vain (as they used to so quaintly call it) is all over the place, as is the S word, and people are called bitches and sons of bitches all the time.

I haven't heard one bleep of anything on any Sherlock broadcast I've seen here in the US. But as I say, unless Sherlock and John start with the F this and F that and F-ing this and F-ing that and calling people F*****s, then I don't think we will.

Rupert Graves/Lestrade had a 'hell' taken (not bleeped) out of Reichenbach, which seemed weird to me. Hell isn't that bad as far as curse words go.

As a non-Brit, I couldn't tell you. There was the famous "F--- you, I won a BAFTA" that I didn't hear bleeped out on the Graham Norton Show, although I watched it later on YouTube so it might have been cut from the BBC America broadcast. The Graham Norton Show is TV-MA, though. I don't think PBS is permitted to air it, being a public channel as it is. You hear it in Breaking Bad, though, so it isn't entirely taboo from TV-14. Sherlock gets called a dick, which I don't believe was taken out in the PBS version.

I thought it was very funny how at the opening of Scandal, they posted that little screen that said "Scenes in the following drama might not be appropriate for all audiences," etc. I expected to see it in later episodes but it didn't show up. It's clear why they needed it for Scandal (Nakedness! Sex! Dominatrixes! Sex!) but I thought the suicide scenes in Reichenbach would require the same kind of warning. Americans are less concerned about violence.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 8, 2012 4:03 am  #113

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

As a non-Brit, I couldn't tell you. .... Sherlock gets called a dick, which I don't believe was taken out in the PBS version. ... I thought the suicide scenes in Reichenbach would require the same kind of warning. Americans are less concerned about violence.

And not only using the dick word, John also gets to say "sod this", a Britishism unknown in the US but which I understand is not polite talk. Sod, to us, is well-packed dirt in which grass is growing, lol.

It's not that we Americans are less concerned about violence, it's just that the censors have decided that our little Puritanical selves can't see sex, so therefore, what is left? And then the showrunners of TV and movies have decided to shove violence down our throats. I'm afraid it's made the population at large rather numb to it, unfortunately.

I saw nothing unusual about PBS showing the suicides unchanged, the blood, etc. We Americans can see that on soap operas at 2PM in the afternoon, so....  OTOH, we can't see T&A in any sexual scenes, ever, anywhere except on pay-for-view cable (like HBO, for instance). On any of the regular or cable networks, faggedaboutit.  And gay sex scenes? Good lord, well, at least we get shown some sometimes, but they have the gay folks kiss like they're kissing their grandmothers, and if they're ever shown in bed together, it's after the fact, with about a foot of mattress between them. Sigh.  But violence? Oh, yes. The bloodier, the better, pretty much. Can't show people loving each other (especially men), but beating the shit out of each other? Hey, go for it. *rolls eyes*

My apologies for this being totally off-topic. But just my two cents.

July 8, 2012 2:01 pm  #114

Sod is a really mild swear word, not even considered swearing at all. There's not really very much swearing in Sherlock...I think I've heard bloody, damn, hell, piss off...that's about it.

Graham Norton is a late night show which is why the F word is acceptable. You wouldn't generally see it in any BBC dramas before about 10pm.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2012 8:37 pm  #115

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sod is a really mild swear word, not even considered swearing at all. There's not really very much swearing in Sherlock...I think I've heard bloody, damn, hell, piss off...that's about it.Graham Norton is a late night show which is why the F word is acceptable. You wouldn't generally see it in any BBC dramas before about 10pm.

I've heard it said that the F word is used by people who have a very limited vocabulary, lol. I don't know that that's true; sometimes, in certain situations and in the company of certain people, it's the only word that's really fitting, if you know what I mean. But yeah, not in polite company. Interesting to hear that it's not used in the UK TV either, at least not on the BBC. I presume there are pay-for-view and other cable services where it's perfectly okay to use it, just like in the States. Our HBO and other premium channels definitely carry programming that has what we euphemistically call "adult talk", stuff rated M-L.

July 8, 2012 11:25 pm  #116

ancientsgate wrote:

And not only using the dick word, John also gets to say "sod this", a Britishism unknown in the US but which I understand is not polite talk. Sod, to us, is well-packed dirt in which grass is growing, lol...My apologies for this being totally off-topic. But just my two cents.

"Piss off," too, is hardly the kind of language one would use in a polite setting. A lot of phrases used carry much less weight in the United States, or are just confusing, like the aforementioned sod.

I wasn't actually surprised that they were unchanged, I'm just surprised that they didn't have the same warning that they did before Scandal. If anything, Reichenbach is probably more disturbing than any of sexy scenes in Scandal. But because sex is verboten in many circles in this country, ASiB is the one that gets the warning. Someone shooting themselves in the head is fine, but nakedness? Oh, it's just too much!

I didn't know; I saw.

July 9, 2012 1:00 am  #117

John does say "shit" in aSiB when Mycroft tells him Sherlock took the cigarette.  (Not quite as strong as the F-word but a lot stronger than "sod" and "piss-off".  We didn't hear it in America because that scene was cut from the Masterpiece version.

When I hit the "submit" button I'll get to see my brand new avatar. Yeah!  I've been wanting to get a good one but was pretty clueless about how to do it.  Had to get my kid to help me.  Took her about 2 seconds.

July 9, 2012 1:19 am  #118

KeepersPrice wrote:

John does say "shit" in aSiB when Mycroft tells him Sherlock took the cigarette.  (Not quite as strong as the F-word but a lot stronger than "sod" and "piss-off". We didn't hear it in America because that scene was cut from the Masterpiece version.

When I hit the "submit" button I'll get to see my brand new avatar. Yeah!  I've been wanting to get a good one but was pretty clueless about how to do it.  Had to get my kid to help me.  Took her about 2 seconds.

I notice they're using shit on American TV now, on cable. On the original series that A&E has been producing (last year's Breakout Kings, this year's Longmire), it's used quite often. It's also acceptable now to use the various forms of the Christian deity's names in vain.

PBS, is not strictly speaking a cable network. It's air-broadcast, just like ABC, NBC and CBS. Maybe they have to kowtow to the censors just like the others.

Can you tell me how to load an avatar? I am c-l-u-e-l-e-s-s to the max!  Thx.

July 9, 2012 2:44 am  #119

Someone with more tech expertise I'm sure can tell you better, but first I went to Google and typed in "BBC Sherlock avatars"; then when a million websites came up I clicked on the word "images" found on the left side of the Google screen. That made just avatars pictures came up.  I chose one I liked (probably violated some copyright or something, who knows, sorry). Then (not entirely sure because my daughter did it so fast) I think she double clicked on the picture to enlarge and isolate it, then she right-clicked on the picture and picked "copy image url" when the choice appeared on the screen. Then she just pasted it into the profile area of the forum where it says you can change your avatar. It worked. Try it.

July 9, 2012 3:17 am  #120

Just copy the url of any picture, most will work.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera