BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2012 8:42 am  #61

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

kazza474 wrote:

I'd suggest the only reason John would do that would be to get a better starting position for some army wrestling technique he knows.
And that would be short lived when Sherlock applies his baritsu skills
*giggles*

Either that, or maybe to make sure it is him and not just a figment of his imagination?

I am hugely looking forward to that scene, hope we won't be disappointed!
I think John's reaction strongly depends on
1. how much time has passed (I'm also in favour of the " not more than 1 year" idea, but who knows)
2. who else is in on the trick and may have given John reason for doubt (somehow, I feel Molly or Mrs. Hudson may not be good enough actors to keep up the act)
3. whether Sherlock has been leaving small hints beforehand (I really hope that is not the case, for me that would ruin the effect of the return)
4. where they finally meet again (in public, at home, who else is watching)?

I personally don't think John will actually punch him, most of all because that what viewers expect, and Moftiss will not settle for the obvious.I would enjoy watching it, though.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 19, 2012 11:30 am  #62

kazza474 wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Not even a manly hug Kazza? Just a small manly hug?

And when have they ever done that before?

By the same token, when has one ever thought the other dead before?  This is about the most emotionally charged situation they could ever face with one another.  When Sherlock pulled John out of the cage in Hounds, the camera lingered on Sherlock's comforting hand on John's shoulder/ back (nevermind that the entire situation there was Sherlock's fault), and so it's not like Sherlock is opposed to comforting human contact like that.  And "returned from the dead" is one step above "scared as hell" on the emotional trauma scale, so I think it could work.

June 19, 2012 11:36 am  #63

First of all I think Sherlock will not let John know he's alive in a subtle way little by little. I don't think he'll drop little clues of his existence. He'll appear to John head-on some place (he's hiding behind the bathcurtain as John's taking a leak) and I think John will react heavily like he's been betrayed. He'll shout, maybe punch him in the face and then storm off. "I never want to talk to you again!". Then later Sherlock will save John in some way an he'll eventually forgive him for faking his death.

Or then the Sherlock we saw at the graveyard is actually a cyborg Scotland Yard built to fight crime with nothing left from the original genious than his brain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 19, 2012 11:52 am  #64

YEs brain harvesting that could be it

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 19, 2012 1:16 pm  #65

kazza474 wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Not even a manly hug Kazza? Just a small manly hug?

And when have they ever done that before?
I'd suggest the only reason John would do that would be to get a better starting position for some army wrestling technique he knows.
And that would be short lived when Sherlock applies his baritsu skills
*giggles*

That could work actually....John could give Sherlock a "trick hug"...just so he could give him a dig in the ribs. That would definitley tease the fans because it'd be like a hug but not really a hug.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 21, 2012 5:22 am  #66

Dramagod wrote:

First of all I think Sherlock will not let John know he's alive in a subtle way little by little. I don't think he'll drop little clues of his existence. He'll appear to John head-on some place (he's hiding behind the bathcurtain as John's taking a leak) and I think John will react heavily like he's been betrayed. He'll shout, maybe punch him in the face and then storm off. "I never want to talk to you again!". Then later Sherlock will save John in some way an he'll eventually forgive him for faking his death.

Or then the Sherlock we saw at the graveyard is actually a cyborg Scotland Yard built to fight crime with nothing left from the original genious than his brain.

Oh god....if that happens I doubt I would be able to stop laughing

I agree with the head-on approach though, Sherlock would first make sure to kill the assassins after his three friends/friend and acquaintances and then go back to reveal that he's still alive.

Too bad that will bring even more publicity to him....I wonder if Sherlock and John would go live someplace else to hide from the publicity of it all...anyone have thoughts on that?

Last edited by Silent.Ecstasy (June 21, 2012 5:23 am)

June 22, 2012 7:03 pm  #67

Of course now that all the fans are hoping and praying and begging for something emotional and physical (either punches or hugs and kisses) for a reunion scene, I just know Moftiss will figure out a way to deny us any thrills. Maybe some kind of "My Fair Lady" ending with John walking back in to 221 B to pack up his stuff only to find Sherlock calmly sitting in his chair, who then says, "Ah good John, you're back.  I've got the Cluedo board set up.  Mrs. Hudson, bring us some tea and biscuits please!  John, you look a little pale.  Do sit down before you fall down and I'll tell you everything."  The End.  At which point I will jump up and throttle the TV set  .  I'll even accept something comedic and/or non-physicial as long as there's some kind of emotional undercurrent/subtext we can ponder and analyze to death for months to come   Hmmmm......I wonder if the actors have been asked, or will be asked, about their thoughts, ideas, or even comfort level on how they'd want to play a reunion scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 22, 2012 7:28 pm  #68

I've been writing my own fan fic about their meeting--  and I  STILL haven't gotten to the part where John sees Sherlock for the first time!!   I'm still working on the backstory.  In  my story,  Mycroft is being  a git.  No,  I  haven't printed it here...I'm too shy about doing that.

Keeper,  your  idea made me laugh heartedly.  ALL  the stories here are...well,  Brilliant.  I'm  so  glad I have this to read.

I'm still hoping,  in the REAL  show  (hurry up and film it,  Moftiss,  PLEASE?)   that John  will somehow find a way to punch sherlock in the face and give him a bloody nose.   Hey,  that's just me!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 22, 2012 7:35 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 22, 2012 8:44 pm  #69

KeepersPrice wrote:

I just know Moftiss will figure out a way to deny us any thrills. Maybe some kind of "My Fair Lady" ending with John walking back in to 221 B to pack up his stuff only to find Sherlock calmly sitting in his chair, who then says, "Ah good John, you're back.  I've got the Cluedo board set up.  Mrs. Hudson, bring us some tea and biscuits please!  John, you look a little pale.  Do sit down before you fall down and I'll tell you everything."  The End.

bwahahahahaha! You're a genius.

June 23, 2012 2:55 am  #70

Honest to God, if they debase that gut-wrenching, heart-wrenching, award winning performance by Martin Freeman at the end of Reichenbach with a frivolous, sub par reunion in the next series, I will skiiiiinnn them and make them into shoes!

The pressure is on Moftiss!  You better come up with something worthy of Freeman.  Tall order but I know you can do it.  All your choices have been excellent so far.  Make this one great too!

June 23, 2012 2:57 am  #71

KeepersPrice wrote:

Honest to God, if they debase that gut-wrenching, heart-wrenching, award winning performance by Martin Freeman at the end of Reichenbach with a frivolous, sub par reunion in the next series, I will skiiiiinnn them and make them into shoes!!

Ah. But this is why fan fiction was started, lo those many years ago. We get to *fix it*, any way we choose. Lovely, and much more satisfying than canon in most every way except visual.

June 23, 2012 12:18 pm  #72

ancientsgate wrote:

Ah. But this is why fan fiction was started, lo those many years ago. We get to *fix it*, any way we choose. Lovely, and much more satisfying than canon in most every way except visual.

Yes, but fan fiction is fan fiction - and I do love a great deal of it; but it's not the creators' "official word" or "official world".

June 23, 2012 5:08 pm  #73

OH MY CROFT.
I just thought about something... what if Sherlock uses a false name and the name he chooses is... "Hamish". THAT WOULD BE SO CUTE.

Okay, I know, unlikely. Way too fangirly thoughts occur to me on a saturday evening. But it would be pretty aweseome... because.. John suggested it as a baby name and... awww.

June 23, 2012 5:26 pm  #74

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-03/mark-gatiss-sherlocks-return-will-anger-john-watson

Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss says John Watson’s reaction to his friend's return from the dead may not be entirely positive.

The detective, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, faked his own death by leaping from the roof of a hospital at the end of series two, leaving John to mourn him. He will reveal that he is still alive in the first episode of the new series, based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original story The Adventure of the Empty House. But Gatiss says Martin Freeman's Watson may not be quite as understanding as his literary counterpart.

"There's certain things about The Adventure of the Empty House which feel set in stone because that's how Sherlock comes back, but at the same time we feel free to invent and to introduce new stuff to it,"  said Gatiss.

"I always found it a little unlikely that Dr Watson's only reaction was to faint, for instance - as opposed to possibly a stream of terrible swear words," he told the Press Association.

Gatiss also revealed that he and Sherlock co-creator Steven Moffat take a "magpie approach" to deciding which Conan Doyle stories to adapt.

"Everybody has their favourites, Steven and I have our all-time favourites, but it's really a question of what will fit into the structure. We're sort of guided by our idea for the overall feel of the next three stories," he explained.

Series three of Sherlock is due to start filming early next year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 23, 2012 8:16 pm  #75

'Not entirely positive'. So having lied to his friend and faked his own death, leaving his friend totally bereft, his friend's reaction is not entirely positive. That's hardly surprising.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 23, 2012 10:19 pm  #76

kazza474 wrote:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-03/mark-gatiss-sherlocks-return-will-anger-john-watson

Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss says John Watson’s reaction to his friend's return from the dead may not be entirely positive.

"I always found it a little unlikely that Dr Watson's only reaction was to faint, for instance - as opposed to possibly a stream of terrible swear words," he told the Press Association.

Hey, at least it sounds like they're planning something emotional.  The "punch in the face" people may win out after all.  But I'm intrigued by the idea of a stream of terrible swear words.  How much could they get away with on a show with such a wide viewing audience.  What words can you actually say on British TV?  Is anything taboo?  How about the "F" word? 
True story, I swear.  My husband is friends with the British classical guitarist Julian Bream.  Julian told him that when he was in the Army he probably got more demerits than anyone in history without getting kicked out.  Anyway, at his first inspection, the Army sergeant in charge stopped in front him, looked him up and down, and then screamed, "Bloody f*cking F*CK!!!!   Would John be allowed to say that?  It's real life Army talk.

June 23, 2012 11:05 pm  #77

A thought occured to me, maybe someone's mentioned this earlier. Since Benedict's Sherlock hasn't shown us the art of disguising yet, I think appearing to John and letting him know he's alive in a disguise would be a proper time to introduce that part of Sherlock in the show. Maybe we'll see him as an old man with a bushy fake beard. Or something like that. Just a thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 24, 2012 1:27 am  #78

Oh, oh, oh... or maybe... maybe... His false name will be "John Smith". Yeah? :D
Sorry, that thought hasn't let go of me. Oh, that just gave me an idea...

Dramagod wrote:

A thought occured to me, maybe someone's mentioned this earlier. Since Benedict's Sherlock hasn't shown us the art of disguising yet, I think appearing to John and letting him know he's alive in a disguise would be a proper time to introduce that part of Sherlock in the show. Maybe we'll see him as an old man with a bushy fake beard. Or something like that. Just a thought.

That would be... kinda cool. Well, maybe not as an old man, but I would love to see him in disguise. (Please, Gingerbatch!)
The kind of used his acting as his disguise (e.g. as vicar or when he's talking to Ian's wife) - I guess this is also supposed to be because of the modernisation - but when he pretends to be dead, well, he can't just walk around completely undisguised, people might recognize him.

June 24, 2012 1:36 am  #79

And here again, think 'adapting to the present day equivalent'.
What would that be?

I would suggest he would disguise his 'electronic presence'. In other words, hide in a pseudonym online. John has been keeping a blog & it gets visitors. His 'stardom' online was a problem; Moriarty created Rich Brook online so why couldn't Sherlock use the electronic community as a backdrop for a disguise?

Just an idea.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 24, 2012 10:59 am  #80

Perfectly true KeepersPrice about typical Army language. A friend of mine, who is German, married a British Army soldier and it took her some time to realise  that the everyday expletives were actually swear words. True these are used less amongst the officers. The watershed would allow some of these words after 9 p.m. But they could always have John being bleeped out for a good couple of minutes or so and leave the colourful language to the viewers' imagination, I am sure we would all get the gist!.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera