BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2013 7:20 pm  #461

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

*cough* that's sweet of you *blushingly accepts medal*

Yes, (unfortunately)  we most certainly will have to live through a few heart breaking moments in the first episode of this season - but I think everything will be alright in the end (at least untill Mofftiss destroy us again in the third episode of the season, I feel it coming - heartless bastards they are. No, I LOVE them both and what would it all be without the suspense?!)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 4, 2013 7:48 pm  #462

I don't think they will destroy us. I think they will just rough us up a bit! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 4, 2013 10:55 pm  #463

Can you imagine how betrayed John will feel? He knows he was Sherlock's number one and closest to him. To find out other people knew and you were left out of it when you have been by his side since the day you met. It's gonna tear him apart.

Sherlock's ruled by his head where John is ruled by his heart. He's gonna get emotional and I expect we will see him punch Sherlock, unfortunate but understandable.

He still had hope after he 'died' too. He told him to stop it and not be dead but he never came back. We all know he will be forgiven in the end but in their initial meeting John will be in no calm state to hear explanations. That will come later.

We will all be in floods of tears xx

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 5, 2013 1:23 pm  #464

I don't want John to punch Sherlock, but I think it's rather predictable with his character. John never shows his emotions, at least not the negative ones, and he doesn't talk about them either. If he does show a reaction, it's nearly always aggressive. Even when he's visiting Sherlock's grave with Mrs Hudson, he only tells her that he's angry (he cries a little bit during his speech later, but only briefly, and that's when he thinks he's alone). So violence would be logical (meaning "in character") as a first reaction for John when he's really upset.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

July 5, 2013 8:47 pm  #465

He's not going to faint or at least this Watson seems like he wouldn't.  I believe I read somewhere though that the writers wanted to change the way he acted from the original and they didn't actually believe he would just faint at the sight of Sherlock.  After all at the end of series 2 he said "Just do one thing for me, please don't be dead."  I think perhaps he will be in shock for a moment then probably punch Sherlock start to yell at him.  After he has had his "bad day" he will be happy and probably smile.

July 5, 2013 9:12 pm  #466

I read an interview with one of the writers and they said that they couldn't imagine John just fainting when   he saw sherlock. 
John's probably gonna end up swearing at him/punching him in the face.

Come at once if convinient. If inconvinient, come anyway. SH

July 5, 2013 10:20 pm  #467

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

I don't want John to punch Sherlock, but I think it's rather predictable with his character. John never shows his emotions, at least not the negative ones, and he doesn't talk about them either. If he does show a reaction, it's nearly always aggressive. Even when he's visiting Sherlock's grave with Mrs Hudson, he only tells her that he's angry (he cries a little bit during his speech later, but only briefly, and that's when he thinks he's alone). So violence would be logical (meaning "in character") as a first reaction for John when he's really upset.

Actually, I think he shows a range of emotions.  Sherlock just upsets him a lot, which is expected.  But John's shown fear (TBB), sadness (TRF), happiness (TGG), anger (everything), etc.  But it is more in his character to be angry with Sherlock when he finds out he is alive...so it will be physical.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 7, 2013 4:10 pm  #468

I still don't get how you can be angry at discovering your thought dead best friend is actually alive!
I maintain that if I was Sherlock, I'd tell John to stick it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2013 4:14 pm  #469

besleybean wrote:

I still don't get how you can be angry at discovering your thought dead best friend is actually alive!
I maintain that if I was Sherlock, I'd tell John to stick it!

I guess, though, if Sherlock were my best friend, my first thought would be "He did this just to mess with me because he can"...because Sherlock is like that.  THAT'S why I see John being upset, because his first thought is that Sherlock did it as a horrible joke.

I guess I ought to add that I know how it feels.  My dad would often disappear for months and even years at a time, and then come back and just expect us to get on with everything like he had never gone.  I was angry with him that he thought he could waltz back into my life like nothing had happened, not relieved that he came back.  Really, I told him that he shouldn't have bothered.  That's why I don't think John will be weepy at all, and it's not because of his violent nature...it's because that's how people really feel when someone walks out on them like that.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 7, 2013 4:19 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 7, 2013 4:50 pm  #470

But he had to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2013 5:17 pm  #471

John doesn't know what has happened on that roof.  He won't until Sherlock has a chance to explain...but the shock of seeing his friend alive combined with the anger of being tricked might make John resistant to any explanation when they first meet.  I'm assuming there will have to be a cooling off period first for John to sort his feelings.

July 7, 2013 5:21 pm  #472

And grow up.
Yeah I know, sorry, I'll get my coat!

July 7, 2013 5:28 pm  #473

besleybean wrote:

And grow up.
Yeah I know, sorry, I'll get my coat!

?  Sorry, I don't understand...

July 7, 2013 5:56 pm  #474

Are we not comparing someone who serially goes away and then returns expecting everyone to forgive him as if nothing happened, with someone who has never done this before and has only done so with very good reason and in order to protect his friends? 

Last edited by Davina (July 7, 2013 5:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 7, 2013 6:03 pm  #475

Davina wrote:

Are we not comparing someone who serially goes away and then returns expecting everyone to forgive him as if nothing happened, with someone who has never done this before and has only done so with very good reason and in order to protect his friends?

But John doesn't know that...and Sherlock is all the time pulling the rug out from John's feet on stuff.  It wouldn't surprise me if he felt duped this time.  I was comparing this to an exact situation with my family...my dad called and said he was going to kill himself, and then we didn't hear from him for 2 years.  I thought he was dead.  Then he showed back up one day wanting to take us on a trip like nothing happened.  I was angry that he hurt us like that...not happy he was alive.  I can't imagine that John won't feel the same.

July 8, 2013 11:18 am  #476

I agree, John may be angry but not because Sherlock is alive, only because of what he did to him, by not speaking and basically not giving any signs of life. After a while he'll forgive Sherlock, I think.

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 10, 2013 4:14 am  #477

John would be angry more because Sherlock didn't let him in on his plans and making him go through the painful experience of losing his best friend.  He would understand Sherlock's reasons if he is told it was to protect him and his other friends, but that doesn't mean that he has to like it.

He will definitely be upset because of Sherlock's actions, but not his reasons.

August 1, 2013 10:19 am  #478

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

The author of a fanfic I read just recently came, to my opinion, up with a really nice idea about how the reunion might play out. It's violent - and then again it really isn't. Because in her version Sherlock shows up at 221B (where John still lives), John is speechless and upset at the same time, the atmosphere is rather tense and when he doesn't know what else to do he doesn't punch Sherlock - but the wall. (The wall had it coming...? Yeah, well...)
I really like the idea, even it it means that John is probably hurting himself by punching the wall. But it could also mean that at that moment he just needs to feel something (physically) in order to believe that Sherlock really is back. I think it's a very simple but also quite elegant way in which to let that play out. You have a rather aggressive reaction by John but then again it's not all that bad because it's not directed towards Sherlock.
And if you can imagine that Sherlock maybe makes John stop by grabbing his hands... okay, alright, that would probably be too much physical contact for Mofftiss...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 1, 2013 11:48 am  #479

I really really don't know: all the suppositions I can make will be null when the show will start again....
so, I prefer let my imagination rest on this case or else I will be disappointed.
Am I making sense?

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 1, 2013 12:30 pm  #480

Titania wrote:

I really really don't know: all the suppositions I can make will be null when the show will start again....
so, I prefer let my imagination rest on this case or else I will be disappointed.
Am I making sense?

I think you are, Titania.
But there is always the possibility of just assuming that whatever you imagine might happen will definitely not happen with a ninetynine percent certainty anyway, just because Moffiss will (as always) blow our minds with what they've come up with. I personally believe that whatever it will be, it will be far from what I've imagined oder expected or hoped for. But that doesn't mean I'll be disappointed... at least I'm determined not to let them disappoint me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera