BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2013 11:39 am  #321

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

Random suggestion, random random suggestion but my first thought when hearing about a female character of importance to both of them was that she might just might be Moran (from the canon-Moriaty's "John Watson"., she's for whatever reason married John and obviously that's a bit of a problem . 

I'm not sure how much I like this theory, mainly because it doesn't seem to tally that well with the spoilers coming out now, but also because, thinking on Jim,  not sure if he'd have a right hand woman. His "get Sherlock" club seems to be a very boys own affair.

But I do like the dramatic tension in the idea that Mary Morsten is Colonel Moran, and that the way she actually takes revenge on Sherlock is not by killing him but by domesticating John. I think this fits with the general idea that the fall is a psychological  /emtional one, stripping Sherlock of his support network but especially stripping him of John. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

March 29, 2013 1:10 pm  #322

She could be just a client with a very important case.
The theory about her being Moran is an interesting idea though.

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (March 29, 2013 1:10 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 29, 2013 3:19 pm  #323

beekeeper wrote:

Random suggestion, random random suggestion but my first thought when hearing about a female character of importance to both of them was that she might just might be Moran (from the canon-Moriaty's "John Watson"., she's for whatever reason married John and obviously that's a bit of a problem . 

I'm not sure how much I like this theory, mainly because it doesn't seem to tally that well with the spoilers coming out now, but also because, thinking on Jim,  not sure if he'd have a right hand woman. His "get Sherlock" club seems to be a very boys own affair.

But I do like the dramatic tension in the idea that Mary Morsten is Colonel Moran, and that the way she actually takes revenge on Sherlock is not by killing him but by domesticating John. I think this fits with the general idea that the fall is a psychological  /emtional one, stripping Sherlock of his support network but especially stripping him of John. 

I don't really understand it yet, what is she doing in the books? I thought John gets married to Mary?

March 29, 2013 5:02 pm  #324

Ok.
Well in one of the spoiler vids I have seen:  I have heard Amanda's character's(first) name.
This for me could only mean one thing, but then again, we are talking about the best writers for the top show,...,so they could mess with us!
On Amanda playing John's wife:  if they did this, I think it would be the smartest move possible.
The fandom generally adores Amanda and short of John marrying Molly(nice thought!), I think this would be the only solution acceptable to some fans...tho I'm assuming we wouldn't see anything too intimate or other wise couldn't it be a bit um, embarrassing!
I was wondering then if John's wife would become very close to Sherlock and kind of take his side...
I was working on the theory of this series ending with John's wife's death,,,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 29, 2013 5:12 pm  #325

besleybean wrote:

Ok.
Well in one of the spoiler vids I have seen:  I have heard Amanda's character's(first) name.
This for me could only mean one thing, but then again, we are talking about the best writers for the top show,...,so they could mess with us!
On Amanda playing John's wife:  if they did this, I think it would be the smartest move possible.
The fandom generally adores Amanda and short of John marrying Molly(nice thought!), I think this would be the only solution acceptable to some fans...tho I'm assuming we wouldn't see anything too intimate or other wise couldn't it be a bit um, embarrassing!
I was wondering then if John's wife would become very close to Sherlock and kind of take his side...
I was working on the theory of this series ending with John's wife's death,,,

Does your post contain spoiler? I didn't read more than the until the double dot.

March 29, 2013 5:23 pm  #326

Huh? No.
I'm like anybody else, I don't know anything for sure. The Moran line was a new one on me.Tho I had
considered Amanda as playing Harry.
Just discussing the possibilities...knowing Mark and Steven, they will come up with something none of us had thought of!

Last edited by besleybean (March 29, 2013 6:07 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 29, 2013 5:50 pm  #327

ah I am avoiding spoliers as far as I can! Speculating is more fun and I tell you what, the producers of Sherlock know how to play their game, they are going to avoid giving away stuff as far as possible through filming and suchlike I am sure. I will not be sure of anything til I see it on the show :-)

moran does need to crop up though really, though my smartest money is on him being the sniper with a gun trained at john (the one who looks incredibly like Sherlock...kind of interesting since Jim and John look a tiny bit alike. Well they are short.)#

I do think John needs to be married really, personally. I'm not a shipper but I'm also not anti-shipping-I just want to see the characters develop well, whatever that means.

Last edited by beekeeper (March 29, 2013 6:00 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

March 29, 2013 6:09 pm  #328

See this has what got me thinking...in interviews they really seemed to push the Moran line, so I kind of understand peoples thinking of this and yes.,..hmm...
Then again, they won't necessarily cover everything in the 1st lot of filming!

March 29, 2013 6:16 pm  #329

you know what-my partner and I were rewatching the RF last night and we were thinking...

they almost certainly won't open telling us what has happened. If we learn what has happened it probably won't be til the end of the first episode.

they might not actually spell out what has happened for a while, perhaps til the second or third episode of the series. I mean convention says they have to tell us eventually but...I bet they tease this one out for as long as they can.

My god imagine that.

ha well it does no harm at all to the Sherlock ratings...which means more serieses for us so no complaints :-)

March 29, 2013 6:28 pm  #330

See, I have always thought we would get the Fall resolution before the opening titles and The Reunion certainly within the 1st hour of the opening episode...tho it may not be as straight forward as that.

March 30, 2013 8:15 pm  #331

I think we'll almost certainly get a quick recap of the Fall, thirty seconds perhaps...seeing as that's what they did in Scandal, but then...the pre-credit scene was the resolution of Great Game, and there's no way they could do a resolution scene for Reichenbach so quickly...

So now I'm starting to think the pre-credit scene won't have anything to do with the Fall at all....uhhh...I dunno, it's too tough to call.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 30, 2013 8:46 pm  #332

Do you think a flashback scene, then...sorry I mean starting now and then going to flashback mode?

March 30, 2013 9:11 pm  #333

Yeah, that seems more likely I think. Probably as Sherlock is actually explaining what happened to John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 30, 2013 9:15 pm  #334

I would prefer that...
But I did wonder whether we would see their 2 separate stories, slowly coming together to the point where they meet.

March 31, 2013 8:32 pm  #335

I think it'll be something that has to do do with the case (because there will be a case, they can't fill a whole episode with how Sherlock faked his death (well they could but they won't, it always needs a case)). Maybe a situation that is so desperate (can a situation be desperate?) that it is obvious that only Sherlock will be able to help and that makes him choost to come back. So I don't think it'll be a flashback nor the resolution but something new.

March 31, 2013 8:36 pm  #336

Ah well this is beginning  to make some sense to me...I think!

April 1, 2013 11:22 am  #337

Myraya wrote:

I think it'll be something that has to do do with the case (because there will be a case, they can't fill a whole episode with how Sherlock faked his death (well they could but they won't, it always needs a case)). Maybe a situation that is so desperate (can a situation be desperate?) that it is obvious that only Sherlock will be able to help and that makes him choost to come back. So I don't think it'll be a flashback nor the resolution but something new.

How about a cross between:

Empty House
Sign of Four (Mary Morstan)
Boscombe Valley Mystery (rat)

April 1, 2013 11:36 am  #338

Sounds probable!

April 1, 2013 11:36 am  #339

"
But I did wonder whether we would see their 2 separate stories, slowly coming together to the point where they meet."

yeah that's where my money lies

Actually my bet is that Watson marries or has married or is about to marry Mary and that the actual case concerns her. And I reckon it will just be the Sign of Four basically, with a bit of the Empty House.

April 1, 2013 12:31 pm  #340

yk, I can't remember the Sign of four that well but I have a feeling that its one of the many ACD stories involving overseas intruge, so one possibility is that Sherlock is following a trail back to London, to this woman, and is stunned to learn that she's actually involved with Watson.

Board footera