BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2013 4:45 pm  #261

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

SusiGo wrote:

You may be right there. But how would we have survived the hiatus without all that speculating and nail-biting? 

I'm not nail-biting, but I admit that I am curious and intrigued.
Maybe they should rename this forum as the BBC Sherlock Speculation and Nail-Biting Forum. heh

I love the BBC John Watson to death, and I trust the writers to come up with a reaction for him that will seem honorable and right, as well as very possibly drop dead funny.  Can't wait.  One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Sherlock will get a piece of his mind, some way or other.

January 15, 2013 5:53 pm  #262

ancientsgate wrote:

When the time comes (dear god, if it ever comes, lol) for us to finally see the TRF resolution at the beginning of episode 3.1, I think we might end up being amazed about how little time the writers spend on that resolution, and how simple everything will be made to seem. We might just end up wondering what all the hanging-by-our-fingernails was all about during all the months and months of waiting.

I think you're on to something there. They'll probably spend a minute or two on the reunion, and then move on with the show
But it will be good. They haven't let me down once, so far So whatever happens, I'm all for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 15, 2013 10:07 pm  #263

Quote: "I wonder what will be the reason for Sherlock to return. I expect that he is trying to crush Moriarty's network down. And I believe this will be the main issue for season 3."

I think it will also have to do something with the murder of Ronald Adair as it has to in ACD canon.
Ronald Adair - a young noble man- is already dead in canon, but maybe in "Moftiss-BBC-verse" he will show up in persona.

Last edited by saysomething (January 15, 2013 10:07 pm)

January 15, 2013 10:26 pm  #264

The ultimate anticlimax would be for them to meet up a few months after the Fall, shake hands, and Sherlock says, "Great job, John." And John says, "Yeah, we sure fooled them, didn't we. What's next?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 15, 2013 10:50 pm  #265

If that happens, I'm going to die 
"John!! Why make me cry during the last minutes of the last episode when you knew all along?!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 16, 2013 3:15 am  #266

saysomething wrote:

Quote: "I wonder what will be the reason for Sherlock to return. I expect that he is trying to crush Moriarty's network down. And I believe this will be the main issue for season 3."

I think it will also have to do something with the murder of Ronald Adair as it has to in ACD canon.
Ronald Adair - a young noble man- is already dead in canon, but maybe in "Moftiss-BBC-verse" he will show up in persona.

Yes, in canon, Holmes was keeping up with the criminal news in London from France, and when he read about the news of the death of Ronald Adair he knew Colonel Moran (chief of staff for Moriarty) was behind it (because of the type of weapon used) and so came back to set a trap and nab him.  Otherwise, as Holmes says, "As long as he was free in London, my life would really not have been worth living." 
I also like this quote from canon in "The Adventures of the Empty House".
Holmes to Watson: "Several times during the last three years I have taken up my pen to write to you, but always I feared lest your affectionate regard for me should tempt you to some indiscretion which would betray my secret."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 16, 2013 6:41 am  #267

Fair enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2013 8:28 am  #268

Good reference to the canon there KP. I was going to pop off and do some canon research to post on here and you've just saved me the leg work.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 16, 2013 9:55 am  #269

KeepersPrice wrote:

...I also like this quote from canon in "The Adventures of the Empty House".
Holmes to Watson: "Several times during the last three years I have taken up my pen to write to you, but always I feared lest your affectionate regard for me should tempt you to some indiscretion which would betray my secret."

Ah, Sherlock knows his friend John so very well. I don't believe Watson would ever be intentionally indiscreet, but sometimes he does get led around by his emotional shirtsleeves, that's for sure. So yeah, to me it makes sense that Sherlock would believe that the fewer people who knew he was alive, the better, yes, even John (or maybe even especially John), until it was safe for everyone for him to reveal himself.

Thanks for this explanation from the original canon, KP. So nice to read something like this without feeling lectured like a child or scolded to stop fan-girling and "just go read canon" for enlightenment.

January 18, 2013 8:58 pm  #270

I'm a little late here, heh heh, but I keep seeing it similar to the book: for some reason, John's in a hotel room (Doyle never tells us what kills Mary, I don't think, so maybe a car accident?) and suddenly Sherlock is just *there.* In the story, John does reach out and grab Sherlock's "sinewy arm,' which gives us a glimpse into the power of the emotion between the two men---it's almost like connection between the past and the present, a touch that says "I have been and will always be with you."

So there has to be some high emotion in their reunion. I can see something more, though, all of John's pent-up emotions just boling over into a quickly-defusing rage that's going to leave Sherlock with a bloody lip...John's angry and hurt and now on top of everything else--but like everyone else is saying, once he calms down and sees through the web of lies, he will see it was for their own good and understand why Sherlock did things the way he did. Just like he always does! He always writes down what Sherlock does and never seems to interject his own opinion (he never says "Why did Sherlock do things this way....no, he simply writes things down. Sherlock does occasionally accuse him of trumping up the facts but Watson tells him that readers need to feel the excitement...you get the idea. I don't remember the exact quote at this moment, but it's close.

Just my 2 cents :D  (This is so much fun!  I wish I would have found you all sooner :D)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 18, 2013 9:13 pm  #271

It's never too late. And there's more to come - some day. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2013 11:03 pm  #272

KeepersPrice wrote:

The ultimate anticlimax would be for them to meet up a few months after the Fall, shake hands, and Sherlock says, "Great job, John." And John says, "Yeah, we sure fooled them, didn't we. What's next?"

That's funny, but John didn't know we were watching him when he spoke to S. at the cemetary, and we could see he embarrassed himself talking to a dead person. He felt silly doing it but he had to put it in words.

Personally I'm not really trying to imagine what it will be like, I know it will be great and satisfying and I'm just waiting. I just imagine that John will be cross at first but that joy and relief will quickly take over. Man, the day the first episode airs will be really epic. My boss better not schedule a late meeting for that day!

January 18, 2013 11:16 pm  #273

...and we won't even see it for a while over here on this side of the pond! Anyone want a houseguest for a few months (jk!)

*******************************************************************************************************************

January 18, 2013 11:37 pm  #274

crazybbcamerican wrote:

...and we won't even see it for a while over here on this side of the pond! Anyone want a houseguest for a few months (jk!)

My estimate for US-showing is sometime around February through May 2014. Kill me now. We haven't even seen Parade's End on HBO yet-- that's scheduled to air in late February. The latest season of Downton Abbey is just airing now, one slow episode per week. Sigh.

January 19, 2013 1:48 am  #275

Dang! I've been searching the cable and Netflix for Parades End...maybe I should order the DVDs? At least on Netflix, I am seeing full episodes without the some of the scenes cut out. Wish there was a way for us to get them more quickly =D

January 19, 2013 1:55 am  #276

crazybbcamerican wrote:

Dang! I've been searching the cable and Netflix for Parades End...maybe I should order the DVDs? At least on Netflix, I am seeing full episodes without the some of the scenes cut out. Wish there was a way for us to get them more quickly =D

Parades End is only on DVD in the UK, region 2 only, and not viewable on our region 1 DVD players. Until HBO shows it and milks all the $$$ it can out of the showing of it on TV, it will not be on DVD in the US. But eventually it will be, maybe even by next summer. NetFlix will eventually have the DVDs for rental.

January 19, 2013 3:19 am  #277

ancientsgate wrote:

My estimate for US-showing is sometime around February through May 2014. Kill me now.

The worst part will be having to go cold turkey in between the UK airing and the US airing if we don't want to be spoiled.  Being late to the party, I had the advantage of watching all six episodes over a few months, but I stayed away from Sherlock sites until I had seen the last one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

January 19, 2013 10:54 am  #278

erunyauve wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

My estimate for US-showing is sometime around February through May 2014. Kill me now.

The worst part will be having to go cold turkey in between the UK airing and the US airing if we don't want to be spoiled.  Being late to the party, I had the advantage of watching all six episodes over a few months, but I stayed away from Sherlock sites until I had seen the last one.

I watch most episodes of my favourite shows online I don't like waiting, so I don't.

Last edited by Mell92 (January 19, 2013 10:55 am)

January 19, 2013 2:21 pm  #279

Hmmm....where do you go to watch them online?
I don't have HBO, so it will be even longer, lol!

January 19, 2013 2:27 pm  #280

I use this website: http://www.tv-links.eu
Episodes are uploaded very soon after they have aired. It's fun to comment on them and see what other people think.
If you create an account, you can select the shows you want to watch, and the website will keep your TV-schedule and send you updates per e-mail (optional) when a new episode is available.

Board footera