BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2013 11:08 am  #241

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

Whatever happens, hearts will be broken; whether it's the characters' or the fans' remains to be seen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 12, 2013 11:14 am  #242

Mary Me wrote:

Hera wrote:

Oh, and I really don't want it to be three years before Sherlock coming back. That's just way too long!

Ja. That's really way too long. 
They knew each other since one and half years, I guess.
So they should not be separated beyond this time.

Agreed.
I really hope they change the time span (preferably less than a year)... also, it would be hard to explain, why he had to be gone for such a long time.

Last edited by Hera (January 12, 2013 11:19 am)

January 12, 2013 11:27 am  #243

Depends what he's been doing!
AND we may need that time period for John to meet somebody, get married and have kids...just saying!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2013 11:32 am  #244

I've said this before.
Remember we are 'adapting' canon Holmes into a modern day version.
Back in the canon days, it took a longer time to do all that Homes needed to do; whether it be because of travel times or evidence gathering etc etc.
Those things have 'sped up' remarkably in recent decades.

That said, time is easily 'surpassed' by way of a few lines of text on a screen these days; I daresay we will see a few cases that John tries to help with (as per the canon) but swiftly we shall see an answer (to the 'return of Sherlock) and move onto a new case for the next episode.
I'm actually hoping people won't be dissappointed with the swiftness of the 'conclusion' to the last; Moftiss won't dwell on the answer for too long. They have said as much.
So again we will probably be left with 'but what about the ??????' because all the theories have brought many things into play that obviously have nothing to do with the solution. BUT I am sensing that some won't let those theories go & will feel duped because their ideas are not addressed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 12, 2013 11:35 am  #245

besleybean wrote:

Depends what he's been doing!
AND we may need that time period for John to meet somebody, get married and have kids...just saying!

Who on earth would want that? *wink*

kazza474 wrote:

I've said this before.
Remember we are 'adapting' canon Holmes into a modern day version.
Back in teh canon days, it took a longer time o do all that Homes needed to do; whether it be because of travel times or evidence gathering etc etc.
Those things have 'sped up' remarkably in recent decades.

Agreed. That's what I meant that it would be hard to explain why he had to be away for so long. It just doesn't seem likely to me... They would have to make a lot of things up, so it would be more canon to just change the time span, I guess.

Last edited by Hera (January 12, 2013 11:38 am)

January 12, 2013 11:39 am  #246

Oh if they had to; they could think up an explanation for a 3 year absence, I just don't think they need to do so however.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 12, 2013 11:41 am  #247

I hope you are right!  Well, we will see... eventually.

January 12, 2013 11:44 am  #248

Oh I have no doubt that Sherlock will be up & at 'em in the next series; it will just be the storyline that may possibly say ' he's been away 3 years - look he's grown a beard & John has lost his tan' lol.
But I think that explanation would suck.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 12, 2013 12:40 pm  #249

See I didn't know whether the viewer would be shown 2 separate but parallel stories of Sherlock and John during the Hiatus...then them coming together towards the end of ep 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2013 1:07 pm  #250

besleybean wrote:

See I didn't know whether the viewer would be shown 2 separate but parallel stories of Sherlock and John during the Hiatus...then them coming together towards the end of ep 7.

I'll try 7 find that .. tomorrow been a long day here.

But yes they basically said you'd get the answer & we'd mov on to the next case; bloody boring having 90 minutes of nothing but explanation otherwise.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 12, 2013 1:13 pm  #251

Oh sorry, we're kinda talking 2 different things here.
These are my thoughts:
I think the resolution of Sherlock's death will be shown to us, before the opening titles.
I then wondreed if the rest of the episode would basically be :
1.  Sherlock solving the Moriarty/Moran/Sniper thing
2. At the same time:  John doing whatever he does...
3.  The 2 are somehow then brought together...I'm thinking possibly if John needs saving, but maybe Sherlock just showing up and being smart.

January 14, 2013 4:39 pm  #252

*off topic content removed*
I hope that they just keep the friendship as it is. There is a great dynamic to it, which is the main reason for me loving the show so much. I hope, that they make Sherlock a little bit more human over the next episodes, but - of course - not too much. I hope, that John remains a bachelor.  I would hate it if he were to move out of the flat.  Well, we will see! I have faith in BBC and Moftiss. I will like what they do, whatever it is.

Last edited by kazza474 (January 15, 2013 4:00 am)

January 14, 2013 5:50 pm  #253

*off topic part removed*  I think John may marry.

Last edited by kazza474 (January 15, 2013 4:01 am)

January 14, 2013 10:07 pm  #254

Ok then. Steven knows. But does Marc know that Steven knows?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 15, 2013 8:49 am  #255

Let us discuss in this thread what we think will happen on the basis of what has happened so far in the two series of Sherlock and the characters that have so far been developed and how they are LIKELY to develop in future. I say how they are likely to develop advisedly, not how would like or wish them to be developed, but how the writers are likely  to develop them. If you wish to discuss developments of a sexual nature, which are in reality highly unlikely in this modern adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes stories, then make a separate thread but please mark it as adult content. Perhaps, as on other forums, we may need a block/protection on  that sort of thread and make it adult only content?

Personally, I find the constant steering of topics onto the same old bandwagon both repetitive and, as Sherlock would say, 'Boring'. I will add that I do not make any of these comments as a personal attack on anyone. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 15, 2013 3:13 pm  #256

Theory 1: I always imagined that Sherlock would show up out of the blue, without tact or preparing John for the emotional shock. That is why I think that John might indeed faint.
Theory 2: I also like the idea (I've read it here somewhere) that Sherlock might knock him out by accident, and that's how they meet again for the first time after Reichenbach. Then John could wake up to see the hazy outlines of Sherlock's face, and wonder if he's dead, too Then of course Sherlock would have to explain everything.
Theory 3: John might freak out at first, blaming Sherlock for not telling him everything. I imagine him storming out of the door (after he may or may not have punched Sherlock in the face), Sherlock staying behind (not knowing what to do - because he is Sherlock and he doesn't know how to handle these things). Then the door would open again en John would come back in, hug Sherlock briefly without saying anything, and leave once again (because a part of him is still angry).  
Hugging may not fit Sherlock's character, but he doesn't have to hug back. I think John is perfectly capable of needing to hug his best friend - who has returned from the dead.

It will probably happen in a completely different way, but that's how I picture it at this moment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 15, 2013 3:38 pm  #257

Hera wrote:

*off topic content removed*
I hope that they just keep the friendship as it is. There is a great dynamic to it, which is the main reason for me loving the show so much. I hope, that they make Sherlock a little bit more human over the next episodes, but - of course - not too much. I hope, that John remains a bachelor.  I would hate it if he were to move out of the flat.  Well, we will see! I have faith in BBC and Moftiss. I will like what they do, whatever it is.

You're right. Thanks for calming me down. 

I wonder what will be the reason for Sherlock to return. I expect that he is trying to crush Moriarty's network down. And I believe this will be the main issue for season 3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 15, 2013 4:38 pm  #258

Not sure about the fainting thing. Fainting doesn't strike me as something a male physician-surgeon combat war veteran would have happen to him. Just my take on that.

When the time comes (dear god, if it ever comes, lol) for us to finally see the TRF resolution at the beginning of episode 3.1, I think we might end up being amazed about how little time the writers spend on that resolution, and how simple everything will be made to seem. We might just end up wondering what all the hanging-by-our-fingernails was all about during all the months and months of waiting.

January 15, 2013 4:41 pm  #259

You may be right there. But how would we have survived the hiatus without all that speculating and nail-biting? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2013 4:41 pm  #260

Mary Me wrote:

I wonder what will be the reason for Sherlock to return. I expect that he is trying to crush Moriarty's network down. And I believe this will be the main issue for season 3. 

Do you think so? I always assumed Sherlock would only resurface when it was safe for him, John, Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade to do so. If Moriarty is still alive and/or if his criminal network is still up and running and gunning for Sherlock and his friends and coworkers, surely Sherlock would know that and not put them in danger again. After all, that's why he took the fall in the first place, to get Moriarty's henchmen to back off.

John of course will be shocked to see Sherlock again. But part of me hopes he does something like clap Sherlock on the back and tell him, "You know, I knew it all along. You had us all fooled, but I suspected."  Something good-natured, you know how John is. 'Course, then he could deck him, if he wants.  heh

Board footera