BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2013 11:13 am  #1

Martin in hot water (again)

In the news again for the wrong reason and in way too many blogs for even worse reasons. You'll know which article I'm referring to if you've read it. He seems to have a history of always saying the opposite of what he thinks and people will say he's racist/sexist/some-other-ist. He seems to be always "on". I wonder what it takes for him to be able to turn that "off" since the Martin that he portrays to the media just seems to want to insult the hell out of everybody without trying.

When does the mask end and the man begin? Or maybe it's not a mask. Maybe he really is a "miserable old sod" (he likes to call himself that a lot). He can control himself (like when he's hosting a musical quiz show and has to deal with a teen guest). Just when he's not the host, he feels like he should be the teen  

Aside: I've seen him in enough interviews over time to know that his actual opinions when he desides to turn the jerk button off are more open/cosmopolitan but those occasions are rare because his default media persona is... (well, you question what he has shoved up his...)

December 28, 2013 11:33 am  #2

Re: Martin in hot water (again)

Oh dear, not again! Another one or are you still referring to the elf date rape?

I think he's interviewed too often and doesn't have the patience for it (who would?). Both BC and MF seem to me to show severe signs of promotion circuit fatigue. They should be taken off and allowed to go home and rest.

I can understand them so well, even if it's their job. If *I* had to answer all these inane questions all the time... I would probably spit in the interviewers' faces, then rip their heads off and trample their bodies. On camera. And sitting in jail I would think my time well spent. I think it's just inhuman to subject anyone and especially artists to this kind of stress.

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 28, 2013 11:41 am  #3

I'm also wondering to which incident you are refering to. The only thing that comes to my mind is the one kete mentioned (which was bad enough). Is there something else?

The Game is On!

December 28, 2013 8:55 pm  #4

All I see on Google is Martin talking about almost not getting the role of Watson because he got robbed the monring of his audition and ended up not giving it his all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 28, 2013 9:07 pm  #5

Cannot be that story which was quite cute IMO. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2013 9:36 pm  #6

If that story is true, then it's completely understandable. Nobody would be giving anything 100% if they'd just been robbed...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 29, 2013 3:05 am  #7

This must be it.

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/martin-freeman-dishes-on-sherlock-meeting-lucy-liu/2026567678001

Opinions I'm seeing seem to be well split between, "he's being an ass" and "why can't people recognize dry British humour."

Last edited by tonnaree (December 29, 2013 3:13 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 29, 2013 4:56 am  #8

Why can't people recognize dry British humour?!   That was hilarious actually.  But I do agree that he is the lovelier of the two Watsons 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 29, 2013 7:31 am  #9

These kinds of articles annoy me (in fairness, I didn't read this one but I did see the one about drugging the elves). People say stupid stuff, but for some reason we expect celebrities to be perfect and to say exactly what they mean and to know all the umpteen-million ways different individuals might choose to misinterpret it, or how it might come across to them.

They're human. FFS.

Also, people seem to not realise than if you are offended by something someone has said, with the rare exception when they are obviously trying to be offensive, it's because you have chosen to be offended. You have chosen to interpret what they've said in a way you find offensive. Taking offense to something someone has said actually has nothing to do with the person who said it and everything to do with the perception of the person who heard it.

Last edited by Wholocked (December 29, 2013 7:32 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 29, 2013 8:42 am  #10

tonnaree wrote:

This must be it.

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/martin-freeman-dishes-on-sherlock-meeting-lucy-liu/2026567678001

Opinions I'm seeing seem to be well split between, "he's being an ass" and "why can't people recognize dry British humour."

But that was long before the elf date rape joke. Maybe it came up again in the wake of it.

Wholocked wrote:

Also, people seem to not realise than if you are offended by something someone has said, with the rare exception when they are obviously trying to be offensive, it's because you have chosen to be offended. You have chosen to interpret what they've said in a way you find offensive. Taking offense to something someone has said actually has nothing to do with the person who said it and everything to do with the perception of the person who heard it.

That is a rare and refreshing opinion! When I was still more active on LJ, I so often had someone tell me they were offended by something I said which I had thought to be perfectly harmless, like:

Me, "Good morning!"
Comment, "I take offense at you writing the greeting good morning in your LJ, as thus you express a Euro-centric view and neglect all those people for whom it may be an entirely different time of day."
Me, "???" *headdesk*
Comment, "It behooves you to apologise and refrain from such nefarious practices in the future."
Me, "I'm really sorry that you should take offense at something that was meant as a harmless greeting. But if you're so intent on taking offense, please take another pound. It's free."
Comment, "You are the devil incarnate."

There really is no arguing with people like that.

Last edited by kete (December 29, 2013 8:52 am)

December 29, 2013 11:24 am  #11

After watching that video, to me it's absolutely clear. I mean, come on!!!
"why can't people recognize dry British humour."
It's SO obvious.

(Reminds me of Simon Pegg talking about Benedict after Star Trek )

I am a person which sometimes feels offended without any reason. Maybe it has something to do with a lack of self confidence or I learned it from my parents. I fully agree with Wholocked and it helps a lot to keep that in mind.
So when I feel offended I tell myself: Hey, it wasn't meant that way!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 29, 2013 11:42 am  #12

Oh, come on, this is soo obvious. Nobody can misunderstand that. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2013 11:52 am  #13

Yes, they can. Those who want to misunderstand that.

December 29, 2013 11:53 am  #14

I totally agree, Susi. Who can actually believe that he's being serious here...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 29, 2013 11:59 am  #15

I mean, even I bursted out laughing 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 29, 2013 12:01 pm  #16

Mattlocked wrote:

Yes, they can. Those who want to misunderstand that.

In this case it is their fault, not Martin's. I was a bit in two minds about that elf thing but this is just hilarious. 

December 29, 2013 12:04 pm  #17

Right, but they don't know it.
Reminds me of a colleague of mine. She changed her job about 10 times. And every time the others were bad and mean so she had to quit again. I mean, when would she consider it's her fault, not theirs?

December 29, 2013 12:08 pm  #18

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, come on, this is soo obvious. Nobody can misunderstand that. 

Hundreds and thousands on twitter/tumblr did. With delight.

"OMG! He called a WoC a dog! He's so racist!"
"Yes, do you remember when he actually said that he liked white people? SO racist!"

December 29, 2013 12:11 pm  #19

Those are probably the same people who say that everyone who doesn't like Elementary just doesn't like it because of Lucy Liu and that because he is a racist.

December 29, 2013 12:12 pm  #20

The elves' joke was kind of weird, but then, who doesn't make an elf joke every now and then? 

You have a point here, Matty! 

Last edited by Harriet (December 29, 2013 12:12 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera