BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2012 10:09 pm  #61

Re: Richard Brook

I'm right handed and my left hand is quite useless. I rarely hold things with my left hand, I can't handwrite with it. But there are some things I can do with my left hand: playing piano (obviously, playing just with the right one would be awful), writing on a keyboard or picking the phone. Maybe this last is because my left ear is way finer than the right one, but I always answer and hold the phone with my left hand. Don't know if this is of any use, but I thought I'd say it 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2012 10:17 pm  #62

No, that's  certainly useful, because you say, you ALWAYS do it this way, and that's, what the huge majority of people do. So even a leftie could for some reason have learned to operate his phone solely with his right hand, but he would ALWAYS do it this way. But here we see it one way at the pool, and the other way at the Tower, and that's significant IMO.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 30, 2012 10:17 pm)

March 30, 2012 10:23 pm  #63

sherlocked wrote:

the guy at the Tower operates it solely with his right hand.

Look, I think you should go back and watch the tower scene again, you are misled on his hand 'usage'.
I posted this earlier but it has been ignored as it doesn't suit any theory:

He arrived at the Tower & took photos with his LEFT hand & used the phone apps with his LEFT hand.
He then went inside & used the phone in his RIGHT hand to listen to music and use apps.
He sprayed the guard with his LEFT hand.
He then wrote with his LEFT hand.
He placed the diamond with his RIGHT hand.

Now I typed that as I watched it. Certainly no 'solely with his right hand'.
It's quite easy to click something with their less dominant hand, people do it all the time.
Anyway I have wasted enough time watching some brilliant film work but only looking at 'which hand' they use. The whole idea is simply wrong.
I've had ideas about the show that I have eventually decided were wrong, no harm in saying so.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 30, 2012 10:25 pm  #64

Well, I certainly ALWAYS put the phone to my left ear with the left hand, though I'm right handed. When for any reason I'm obbliged to answer with the right one it feels really akward, uncomfortable and I end up making all sorts of contorsions to change hands 
Besides, I usually operate it with the left hand. I mean, unblocking, searching for names, dialing numbers, opening applications, etc. The only thing I do with the right hand is writing text messages, because I can do it faster this way. But everything else, always with the left hand. And I assure you, I can't even put the key of my front door in the lock with the left hand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2012 10:25 pm  #65

I, for some reason throw a ball always with my right hand, even as a leftie. But I could not throw it with the other hand. I always do it with the right hand.
There are 'some people, who do some tasks with one hand and other tasks with the other hand. For example the Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal does everything with his right hand EXCEPT playing tennis. This is called 'cross dominance'. But they always do it like this. Nadal could not play tennis with his right hand. There are very, very few people, who are true ambidexters, which means, they can perform every task with each hand, but that's very, very rare and not really an advantage, because in an emergency situation it's not good, if you have to decide first, which hand to use.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 30, 2012 10:26 pm)

March 30, 2012 10:32 pm  #66

kazza said:

'The whole idea is simply wrong'

If you say so, kazza...., then we should just listen to you and give up our own ideas...

I just say, we will know more in 2013.

PS: I've had many ideas about the show, which I have abandoned by now, but this one is not amongst them. If I will do that for some reason, I won't be shy to let you guys know.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 30, 2012 10:39 pm)

March 31, 2012 12:06 am  #67

sherlocked wrote:

If you say so, kazza...., then we should just listen to you and give up our own ideas...

I haven't asked that at all.
I have given concrete evidence that contradicts what has been proposed. You are saying that the Moriarty at the tower solely uses his right hand. I posted which hand he used for what during that scene and more often it was left. So by simple observation, the fact is the guy is left handed.
Other members are posting things that appear to me to be saying they don't buy the whole 'two moriartys' theory also.
As I said at the start, it would be the greatest of insults to the fans if Moftiss used such a pathetically weak storyline just to cash in on the popularity of one actor. If they honestly thought that they had to change the canon that much to keep the viewers then they are under rating their fans and they will lose them just as fast as they gained them. The 'oh they were twins' thing is something I'd expect to see in a no brainer soap opera, not in a show that thus far has shown so much class.
That's not entertainment, that's trash.

I have faith in Moftiss however and look forward to something more in tune with their usual modus operandi.

So again to re-iterate, I have not , will not and shall never tell someone that my ideas are the only right ones. I will consider others ones and if & when I see contradictions to them, I shall certainly bring them to the fore with supporting evidence. This forum is full of theories, some fairly wild one at that and many if them I have not even replied to; they're just that 'wrong' that they won't survive long anyway. There are others that have merit and with those I might reply, I may query some things or I may remain silent. It all depends if I have any opinion on it or not.
But please, do not insult me in saying that I expect all to believe only my point of view, I have never asked that & never will. Obviously my style of posting is wrong for here.
I did predict this, ah well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 31, 2012 12:47 am  #68

I've kind of begun to doubt this theory too. Just noticed today that my other half drinks tea with his left hand despite being right handed, and the lead guitar player in our band plays guitar right handed despite being naturally left handed. I also asked my dad about it. He's left handed but types his text messages with his right hand.

The conclusion I've come to is that everyone is different, it really depends on the person.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 31, 2012 6:32 am  #69

It is possible I guess that Andrew Scott is ambidextrous isn't it. Also my husband is left-handed, as is his brother, I believe it is more common in males than females, any how he writes, uses the phone, plays tennis and squash left-handed. However he plays golf and cricket right-handed and uses a knife and fork the conventional right-handed way.

I am right -handed, however I have made an effort since I was little to use my left-hand at times when I don't really have to. I would find it difficult to type into my phone using my left-hand but am having no difficulty now typing on my keyboard with both hands. Strangely I can always do up buttons on cuffs more easily with my left than right hand.

You can learn to use your left hand when you are naturally right handed, Rafa Nadal is a good example, the only reason he plays tennis left-handed is that he was made to do so from an early age. My German teacher (not a German incidentally) was right-handed but broke his right arm at an early age and had to adapt to writing left-handed and now continues to do do so 70+ years later!

I think it may be possible that it is more common for lefties to use their right hand some times than visa versa, perhaps it is because many, many things are set up for right-handers. Until relatively recently here children were made to use their right hands to write at school, even if they were left-handed. Also many left-handers adapt to using scissors right-handed because they are really rubbish to use with your left hand unless you get special left-handed ones.

I don't really think that the handedness thing is going to prove vital in the next series, I could be wrong, but I cannot see the relevance unless Andrew is going to come back playing Moriarty's brother. Maybe someone can follow him around to see whether he's ambidextrous or not.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 31, 2012 6:33 am  #70

I never claimed, that my theory is the right one. How could I ? 'm not in the head of the writers. I even said further down the thread, that  I'm not even sure, I'd like a solution along those lines.
But I do  see strong inconsistencies in the depiction of a character, who gets established as a leftie, and I don't believe, that we are looking at simple quirks or mistakes here. I think the leftie theme will get used for more than the psycho war between Sherlock and Jim. I personally COULD see a viable story line here; it all depends how the script handles it. BUT I could be totally wrong and I said so before.
Though I guess, that's not the point here. Everybody has different opinions, but I would never go as far as telling a poster: 'This is simply wrong'. Isn't that an insult as well? Because we can't know for sure. None of us has exclusive insights into the heads of the authors. This is a tv show, where everything is possible. We can only try to find things we consider as clues, try to piece them together and spin a tale. If the autors spin the same tale, we don't know yet.
We exchange ideas here. If I find a poster's thoughts too wild, so what? We are dealing with a wild invented story here. So I'd suggest: Let everybody live and present his or her ideas without attaching labels like right or wrong (except factual errors of course, like having remembered something the wrong way), because we simply can't know that.
At least for me, a forum, where we can't speculate, would be pretty boring after a while. After all, there's a long wait until 2013. And when we are presented with the solutions, I guess everyone of us will eat some big slices of crow cake.
I won't have much time over the weekend, but after that, I will start a thread with discarded ideas of mine, and the reasons, why I changed my mind. Maybe it would be fun, if some posters contribute some of their discarded ideas. Let's eat some humble pie!

March 31, 2012 6:35 am  #71

I think the other thing that's worth noting before we get too carried away in analysing things like which hand is used for what, that the choices may have been directed. The focus of the camera on him in one scene or another (and I haven't gone back and watched them so I don't know for sure) may have meant that having him do things with one hand or the other worked better.

Anyway, as I've said before, Moftiss have come right out and said that Moriarty is dead and won't be back. Which I interpret to mean Andrew Scott won't be back. I know it's possible they might do something weird but I'm with Kazza on that - if it's a simple case of "moriarty/brook were twins" then I'd be very disappointed in them. And it would be too far off canon.

I think there's a certain amount of "artistic license" in the Rich Brook is real Moriarty is fake thing. But I could be wrong. Damn the Moftiss! They are so frustrating LOL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 31, 2012 6:59 am  #72

Yes, davina and wholocked: You could be right and I could be wrong, as well as the other way round.No problem with that. There's just no way to know, if we are looking at real clues, at artistic license or at consistency/continuity errors.  For example the whole early discussion about different roof locations and their impact on the faked death was moot, when we learned, that they used different roofs for practical and artistic reasons. But that should not let us stop speculating and respect each others ideas, because NONE of us can know for sure.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 31, 2012 7:00 am)

March 31, 2012 8:19 am  #73

Yep. That's what makes this whole thing fun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 31, 2012 9:30 am  #74

I like the idea of them bringing in Moriarty's brother at some stage because that IS canon. The idea that we've already seen his brother and that they're identical twins does seem a little far fetched.

March 31, 2012 11:52 am  #75

I tend to see new ideas as something to share and "springboard" other new ideas from--not things to be evaluated as being right or wrong.

I found this Richard Brook thread very interesting and it made me watch the scene more closely. I noticed that when Sherlock moves towards Richard near the end, Richard yells "don't you touch me, don't you lay a finger on me!"

Here's my wild/crazy theory that resulted from this thread; I re-watched the entire scene and kept my eyes on Sherlock and Richard. I noticed Sherlock's hands while John is talking to Kitty and I think he's signalling to Jim to enter into a code exchange protocol with him. (Secret handshake used in cryptography). I think Jim as Richard could possibly get shot if he came into contact with Sherlock and that's why he doesn't want to be touched.

Right or wrong?

Is it important?

My point is new theories breed new ideas and for that reason they are all worth sharing. :D I'm not saying that new concepts shouldn't be discussed/debated but that they should be done respectfully or else people will keep their thoughts to themselves and we won't be able to springboard ideas off each other. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

March 31, 2012 12:09 pm  #76

I like the idea of sharing anything that crosses our minds... I think that will make this boards more alive and maybe in one of them we can find the solution to the final problem 
I have a really powerful imagination (too powerful according to my friends) and I may say a lot of stupid things that cross my mind all the time, so be prepared to discuss... I'll be watching The Reichenbach Fall again tomorrow with a couple of friends, now I can watch it without subtitles (because I think I know the dialogues by heart now) so I'll focus in all the details I can get. And then I'll throw it all here... 

March 31, 2012 12:15 pm  #77

Oh for heaven's sake. String me up and shoot me!

The evidence given was wrong (he used the phone solely with his right hand at the tower) pure and simple. And that is what I stated.
However if we cannot state that we believe an idea or a suggestion is wrong without people deciding that it's a personal attack  & labelling it 'rude' then this will be a short lived forum.

These stories are not Sci Fi based, they are not made to appease the masses.I give up.

Geez and to think there's two hours until April Fool's day here.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 31, 2012 12:37 pm  #78

I agree. Try not to take things too personally guys. Lively and heated debates are what make a good discussion board and everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion, as well as say so if they think other opinions are wrong or incorrect. You guys wouldn't last two minutes living with Sherlock if you got so easily offended! 

I think outlandish theories can be fun to debate even if deep down you kind of know they're probably not going to be true. I like the secret handshake idea - wild!

March 31, 2012 1:52 pm  #79

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I agree. Try not to take things too personally guys. Lively and heated debates are what make a good discussion board and everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion, as well as say so if they think other opinions are wrong or incorrect. You guys wouldn't last two minutes living with Sherlock if you got so easily offended! 

I think outlandish theories can be fun to debate even if deep down you kind of know they're probably not going to be true. I like the secret handshake idea - wild!

I completely agree. I really don't think there have been personal attacks here... sometimes, when you're reading something, you put mentally a tone that may not be the one the writer meant so... let's just discuss and have fun. I'm most likely going to share a lot of outlandish theories and rather stupid things, you're all free to tell me you think I'm wrong (and why). 

Getting back to the topic on the left/right hand, I just think Jim uses them, as most people does, for different things. It's my case, anyway. I'm a rightie with an almost useless left hand, but I still do a lot of stuff with it. That doesn't mean that the brothers theory is necessarily wrong, none of us can know by now. I just think it's unlikely. And I wouldn't like it either. I love Andrew Scott, but I think Moriarty's time is over. At least this Moriarty brother. If other one appears later I would be thrilled, but I wouldn't want Andrew to play him. He's done an extraordinary job here and I don't want him to play a twin brother. Maybe the new Moriarty brother should be someone older, just someone to Jim like Mycroft is to Sherlock.

March 31, 2012 2:28 pm  #80

*grins* Well said Sherlock Holmes!:D

Irene you re-watch RF with your friends, would you mind taking a peek at what Sherlock is doing in the background? I'm just curious to see if you think he's doing something like coding with his hands.

Is it the first time your friends see the episode?

I watched THe Great Game with my sister last night. And it was so much fun watching the episode with someone who hadn't seen it previously.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

Board footera