BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2013 5:00 am  #121

Re: Mini Episode "Many Happy Returns" on the 24th

I've been avoiding the board as I don't want to read too much (ie spoilers) about the upcoming episodes but I got an email from PBS announcing the prequel, which I just watched twice.  Love it!  I thought it interesting that Anderson is the one who thinks Sherlock is alive, when he never really liked Sherlock, but Lestrade, who did, believes Sherlock is dead.  Unless Lestrade was putting on an act and when he gave John the DVD and said it was pretty funny, maybe Greg guessed there was a hidden meaning in what Sherlock was saying.  I, too, liked the moments when Sherlock reconsidered the wisdom of his birthday gift to John and when he seemed to respond to John's comment and John did a double-take.  I appreciate the promotion that PBS is doing for the show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 26, 2013 11:28 am  #122

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sherlock is all bravado and all talk. His arrogance is such a front for his insecurities, and we only get to see through that on very rare occasions.

I just love that about him, guess everyone can relate, it's probably the reason why that character is so attractive. I always thought Benedict's Sherlock seems a bit more 'fragile' than other adaptations. Some of the interviews gave me the feeling that it was Benedict's idea and that the writers then ran with it, but I could be wrong. I like how subtly it is done, there's a similar moment in the Blind Banker, if you blink you miss it. Wondering what they will do next. 

December 26, 2013 4:23 pm  #123

The thing I want to know is why Anderson has changed his mind. Less trade alludes to it when he comments on wanting him to be alive and he understands why. What caused him to believe in Sherlock? He obviously feels guilt due t his part in his downfall. No sign of Donavan tho'

December 26, 2013 4:29 pm  #124

That is exactly it, I think: he feels so guilty about having had a hand in Sherlock's downfall that he has to negate it, because he cannot face it or take the responsibility. So, he jumps on the conspiration track and hangs on to every clue. Because that means he's not guilty of an innocent man's death.

Last edited by kete (December 26, 2013 6:37 pm)

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 26, 2013 6:21 pm  #125

I can't tell you how deeply impressed I am sometimes (okay: very often) by the cleverness of our fandom:

http://sherlocksmyholmie.tumblr.com/post/71017172672/only-lies-have-detail

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 26, 2013 6:26 pm  #126

SolarSystem wrote:

I can't tell you how deeply impressed I am sometimes (okay: very often) by the cleverness of our fandom:

http://sherlocksmyholmie.tumblr.com/post/71017172672/only-lies-have-detail

this ^^

The Game is On!

December 26, 2013 6:37 pm  #127

HA! Grandiose!

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 26, 2013 8:50 pm  #128

I'm wondering if Ben had any input into the plotline about Tibetan monks, since he did his gap year in that area, of if Moftiss, knowing that, situated the beginning of this prequel there to take advantage of Ben's experience there.  It's sort of another blurring or blending of reality and fiction, imho.  Any thoughts???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 26, 2013 10:26 pm  #129

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 26, 2013 10:30 pm  #130

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I'm wondering if Ben had any input into the plotline about Tibetan monks, since he did his gap year in that area, of if Moftiss, knowing that, situated the beginning of this prequel there to take advantage of Ben's experience there.  It's sort of another blurring or blending of reality and fiction, imho.  Any thoughts???

I had thought in a similar way. But rather that it just gave them the idea to let it start there, there is not so much in the story that might refer to his experience.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 26, 2013 10:36 pm  #131

From the Wikipedia entry for "The Empty House":

Time spent travelling[edit]

He spent the next few years travelling to various parts of the world. Holmes says that initially, he travelled to Florence. From there, Holmes travelled to Tibet and wandered for two years, even attaining entry to Lhassa and met the "head lama". 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 26, 2013 10:38 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 26, 2013 10:50 pm  #132

Oh, a little canon knowledge doesn't harm, right?  Thanks, Susi! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 27, 2013 1:05 am  #133

Oh, cool!  thanks, SusiGo.    That makes it even more fun.

December 27, 2013 3:13 am  #134

The New York Times has a very short article about the prequel, which they're calling "an online short."  Nothing new, but it's possible to watch the episode via this link and I think it's great that The Times is taking note of the event.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/25/a-teasing-online-return-for-sherlock/?ref=todayspaper

December 27, 2013 3:46 am  #135

SolarSystem wrote:

John just breaks my heart completely... it's really nice how he and Sherlock sort of interact there for a second when Sherlock says "Okay". God, that look on John's face...!

Oh yes, John was so lovely in this prequel.  I loved the way he took the CD and gently ran his fingers over it when Greg handed it to him. I loved how he said he probably wouldn't look it but then poured a drink and sat down to watch. I loved those affectionate little half smiles when Sherlock said something rude on the video. I loved how his apartment had that Baker Street touch - wall paper, couch, etc. but it still looked empty. I just plain loved it.

Loved the sweet understanding of Sherlock's personality in John's blog. And really loved the irony of how he said that this would be his last entry because he was "moving on". Ha ha, you really think so, John? 

"Don't worry, I'm going to be with you again very soon."  OMG!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 27, 2013 11:50 am  #136

SolarSystem wrote:

And once again: I love this fandom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmD_88XBsNM&feature=youtu.be

*giggle* 

The Road goes ever on and on...

December 27, 2013 11:55 am  #137

Deilenn wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

*giggle* 

LOL Wonderful background music!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 27, 2013 11:58 am  #138

This is great! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 27, 2013 12:47 pm  #139

Schmiezi wrote:

Deilenn wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

*giggle* 

Of course this was bound to happen. I'm only surprised it took that long. Must be Christmas interfering .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

December 27, 2013 1:33 pm  #140

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Deilenn wrote:

*giggle* 

Of course this was bound to happen. I'm only surprised it took that long. Must be Christmas interfering .

Brilliant! 

Board footera