BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2013 9:04 pm  #101

Re: Mini Episode "Many Happy Returns" on the 24th

Wonderful episode. And I love the connection between te birthday DVD and John's blog. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 24, 2013 9:50 pm  #102

Oh, that related blogpost is great. They really create the illusion that the characters have a life outside of the series. 

December 24, 2013 11:04 pm  #103

Thanks, sj4iy 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 24, 2013 11:12 pm  #104

It was even better than I had hoped for.  More depth there at the end than I expected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 24, 2013 11:28 pm  #105

Commonwealth wrote:

I think Moftiss did know there's no jury system in Germany but wrote it in anyways to get Sherlock in Germany.  Hence the explanation that the "jury was convened under highly unusual circumstances".

That is exactly the explanation Mark gave via Twitter some minutes ago.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 24, 2013 11:34 pm  #106

Mattlocked wrote:

Commonwealth wrote:

I think Moftiss did know there's no jury system in Germany but wrote it in anyways to get Sherlock in Germany.  Hence the explanation that the "jury was convened under highly unusual circumstances".

That is exactly the explanation Mark gave via Twitter some minutes ago.

That's why I think this might be important later in the series.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 25, 2013 12:03 am  #107

I find the Baker Street influence on John's apartment quite amusing 

Also, it was the first time I saw Sherlock and thought: "Wait, he looks so like Benedict!" 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 25, 2013 12:06 am  #108

mmm, not really buying it. I believe they wrote it, realised it was a mistake and without time to do a full rewrite, threw in the line about 'unusual circumstances'. Or made it mean that after filming. 'cause what special circumstances could possibly alter the entire way the criminal justice system is organised? Did the aliens land?
Well, maybe we should just pretend that in-universe, Germany has a jury system, and sit back and enjoy the show. 

December 25, 2013 12:12 am  #109

Harriet wrote:

Also, it was the first time I saw Sherlock and thought: "Wait, he looks so like Benedict!"

Sherlock looks like Benedict? Really???  No, to be honest I had the same feeling, he seems to be talking in his own voice, not his Sherlock voice (subtle difference but his Sherlock voice seems have less tones) and his hair is shorter. 

I should really go to bed now, instead of obsessing over the minisode. 

December 25, 2013 2:43 am  #110

Swanpride wrote:

Changing anything in the way the German Governament and Justce System works is nearly impossible, even in emergencies. For very good reason.

Though if they had noticed too late, they could have simply picked another country...is there one on Europe (England aside) which uses the juror system?

It's that way in most countries...it just depends on the story and how it turns out.  Enough people in high places can rework anything.  I just don't think this was a mistake...I think it was deliberate.

Last edited by sj4iy (December 25, 2013 2:44 am)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

December 25, 2013 6:25 am  #111

Oh my god... oh my god that was amazing... like someone else said, don't know whether to laugh or cry... *gratefully takes one of the shock blankets*    And overloading my always-visually-imaginative head again with what's been going on in each of their worlds leading up to the return!  Always talked about the others to death and had a general idea, but finding Anderson's side more intriguing now (props to them)  ;)   Like some of us wondered... quit/lost job some time after Sherlock left, either guilt and/or suspicions was unable to let go?  So neat seeing him like that with Lestrade.  And how it tied in to John's blog.  My heart.   

Also, in no particular (happily wound up) order:
(at each little iconic glimpse, knowing him even under a hood)  Sherlock!! 
Awww... John.  Your face.
Hey... waait a minute...  you don't have a moustache!  Does that mean he didn't grow it out for personal reasons during Sherlock's absence, but perhaps after he came back, for a disguise?   
Aww, Sherlock.... so bad yet wonderful at the same time.  (and John knows it)  ;D
omg... was that Sherlock at the door???
And Be - I may be wrong, but I could have sworn hearing about the canon explanation of what he did while away (besides bringing down Moriarty's network), that he traveled around quite a bit, including, yes, Tibet.
And Harriet - ha, yes!  The grin and wink at the end made me think 'Ben' too!
And still love picturing that Sherlock's not just keeping busy, but like canon, is working on making things safe before he comes home ... partly by putting away three gunmen, is what you thought each segment related to?  Neat idea.  Either or (or perhaps connected with) the 'string of terrorist attacks' that was part of the teaser summary for the first ep, that brings him back home to finally finish.   Love it.
Can't wait!

Oh, oh... and almost forgot... couldn't say thanks enough to sj for transcript!  Was hard for me to hear it, as it was!

Last edited by Russell (December 25, 2013 7:40 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 25, 2013 7:34 am  #112

That theatre mask in the box - it immediately reminded me of the BAFTA Benedict/Sherlock never got till date...an ironic allusion maybe?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 25, 2013 8:21 am  #113

I don't think the buddhist abbot and the juror were BC at all. Even the silhouette in Delhi was probably his stand-in.

Btw, I've been trawling the net and this is what I found:
- the yellow mask in the box is a nod to the canon story "The Yellow Face",
- the episodes in foreign lands we see are not necessarily "the absolute in-canon truth", but the way Anderson (unreliable narrator) imagines them,
- John's friends don't hate him, but are glaring angrily at Sherlock when John brings him along which Sherlock mistakes at being directed at John (hilarious),
- here is another slightly longer transcript by the excellent Ariane DeVere on LJ, who has done transcripts of all the episodes to date: http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/63401.html

Last edited by kete (December 25, 2013 8:46 am)

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 25, 2013 10:06 am  #114

I managed to watch the episode before we set off for family dinner. I enjoyed it very much, it was a perfect Christmas gift for all the fans, but I sort of hope the "true" episode will be different in tone. This one is so much fan teasing and fan winking, which is lovely - when you are engaging fans directly. And as it was observed here already, Sherlock's video is not very Sherlock - like, it is more Benedict - comic con like, both his looks and how he speaks and moves. )
But Lestrade banging his head against the table is fabulous and guilt-stricken Anderson (I guessed that much from the previous teaser trailer) a very good idea.

December 25, 2013 1:54 pm  #115

miriel68 wrote:

I managed to watch the episode before we set off for family dinner. I enjoyed it very much, it was a perfect Christmas gift for all the fans, but I sort of hope the "true" episode will be different in tone. This one is so much fan teasing and fan winking, which is lovely - when you are engaging fans directly. And as it was observed here already, Sherlock's video is not very Sherlock - like, it is more Benedict - comic con like, both his looks and how he speaks and moves. )
But Lestrade banging his head against the table is fabulous and guilt-stricken Anderson (I guessed that much from the previous teaser trailer) a very good idea.

To be fair, Sherlock is out of his element during the video.  He's nervous and not sure what to do.  That's not very "Sherlock", but Sherlock really is not comfortable doing that sort of thing in the first place, so I think it fits the situation.

December 25, 2013 2:51 pm  #116

Sherlock's adorable when he's nervous ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 25, 2013 2:59 pm  #117

I saw it today, briiilliaaaant! :D So short, yet powerful enough to make me even more impatient to see the series 3 *bounces up and down on a couch* 
It's exactly one week away from now on!

The Road goes ever on and on...

December 25, 2013 4:06 pm  #118

SolarSystem wrote:

John just breaks my heart completely... it's really nice how he and Sherlock sort of interact there for a second when Sherlock says "Okay". God, that look on John's face...!

I now had the time to read the whole thread through... and I had excatly the same impression, Solar. A heartbeat-stopping moment.

And about the thing that Sherlock was so uncertain, doing the video for John...
Well... it was for John... because he is his friend and he gonna lie to him... it's maybe not that easy for Sherlock... he also isn't used to this... emotional stuff...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 25, 2013 8:52 pm  #119

Sherlock is all bravado and all talk. His arrogance is such a front for his insecurities, and we only get to see through that on very rare occasions. There's a tiny moment where we get to see it when he's making the video. Just before he asks Lestrade to give him a moment. It's perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 25, 2013 9:40 pm  #120

The first thing I thought about the birthday video sequence was *that sounds like Benedict Cumberbatch,  not like Sherlock*, nice that I'm not alone with that opinion. :D

When John watches the video and holds his glass, for a short moment I thought they would shoot his shaking hand like they did with Sherlock's in THoB. Would be a nice reference.

And omg...the mask also immediately made me think of the bafta awards. When I read that it referenced to the *yellow face*....shame on me.....
I started reading canon to get more of the references; read the yellow face just two days ago and didn't even think of it!   Aaaaargh!

Absolutely love the minisode!
Thank you Mofftis, YouTube and BBC.

Last edited by FluteLocked (December 25, 2013 9:43 pm)

Board footera