BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2013 7:41 pm  #61

Re: Desolation of Smaug review - SPOILER ALERT

Well, I wasn't aware that it's necessary to choose a side here.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 17, 2013 7:53 pm  #62

Not saying it is. Just saying ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 17, 2013 8:06 pm  #63

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, it's all a matter of taste in the end, isn't it? A lot of people like the film, others don't quite like it all that much, what's the problem? It seems to me, kitty, as if you're taking it almost personally when someone says that he/she didn't like the movie. It's great that you like it and that you are willing to spend money on a ticket for the third time. There are movies out there where I did the same (STID, for example), but I wouldn't go and see this one a second time.

I had a good time this afternoon watching it, but there still were things in it where I thought 'okay, alright, let's move on'. Too much of Orks, not enough Hobbit in The Hobbit for my personal taste.
I don't know the book, but the movie really makes me wonder why it's called "The Hobbit". I would have loved to see much more of him, not just because of Martin, but because everyone was going on about Bilbo's development and that he is more courageous now. And yes, I suppose he is more courageous now, but still... he didn't really have a chance to speak too many lines, did he? When he finally encounters Smaug I really had to laugh at one point, because Smaug rambles on and on and on - and I suppose it's only natural, after all he really didn't get a chance to chat with someone for a very long time, right?  And when Bilbo answers him, the stuff he says is pretty funny.
But still, it's just not enough Bilbo for me. The Orks were getting on my nerves, and I'm not sure yet what to make of Tauriel. Introduce a female Elb, fine.Yes, she knows how to fight. But of course she's also there as a love interest... is that really necessary...?

So, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. It's a decent movie, that's for sure. But I'd say it lies in the nature of things that not everyone will like it - and please, nobody is obliged to like it, right?

The book is strange...it's really hard to compare the movie with the book because they are completely different creatures trying to accomplish different goals.  The movie is trying to be of the same ilk as Lord of the Rings, but the book was just a simple children's tale with little in the way of narrative cohesion.  Basically, in the book, they blunder from danger to danger, everything is 'coincidental' and all of the sudden Gandalf leaves halfway through without a word of explanation (then comes back later STILL with no explanation).  The big battle at the end is told piecemeal through flashback, as the story is following Bilbo - who conveniently is knocked out and misses it all.  I don't think the book is nearly as good as it is given credit for, and I also agree that the movie could have done many things better.  It seems like there's a fine line to straddle somewhere, but neither the book nor the movie found it.

But no, no one's under any obligation to like the movie simply because Martin and Benedict are in it.  For me, the best part WAS the part concerning just the two of them, as it was always the best part of the book (other than Gollum's cave) and I thought they did a magnificent job on the dragon.  I saw it a second time in the HFR simply because I wanted to see the dragon again XD  However, I completely understand if someone else didn't like the movie.  Personally, I think the best movie out right now is Disney's "Frozen" and would gladly go see it again

Last edited by sj4iy (December 17, 2013 8:10 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 17, 2013 8:23 pm  #64

That Bilbo got knocked out and missed the whole war was the best part of the book. Sooo convenient. They're certainly not going to do that in the movie but it would be funny if they did - just for the comedy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 17, 2013 8:26 pm  #65

I don't think they will...Aidan Turner more or less confirmed that he filmed Kili's death scene. Unfortunately, we'll have to see it happen 

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 17, 2013 8:30 pm  #66

Ouch. I had hoped that they would change that particular aspect in the film 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 17, 2013 8:33 pm  #67

sj4iy wrote:

But no, no one's under any obligation to like the movie simply because Martin and Benedict are in it.  For me, the best part WAS the part concerning just the two of them, as it was always the best part of the book (other than Gollum's cave) and I thought they did a magnificent job on the dragon

I agree, I liked the part with Bilbo and the dragon best, too. To me it was the most thrilling part of the film. And even though I basically knew what would happen from seeing the trailers (Bilbo wakes up dragon, dragon gets pissed and calls Bilbo thief and liar, Biblo tries to get out of there and so forth), it still was very exciting.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 17, 2013 8:41 pm  #68

Mary Me wrote:

Ouch. I had hoped that they would change that particular aspect in the film 

I understand, because I absolutely love Fili and Kili. That departure scene was amazing...

but it is important to the story for them to die. We can't really win this one 

December 18, 2013 10:38 am  #69

Mr Freeman has more punch lines and character moments in one ep. of Sherlock when he is the "sidekick" than in The Hobbit where he is the lead actor.

December 18, 2013 10:57 am  #70

Be wrote:

Mr Freeman has more punch lines and character moments in one ep. of Sherlock when he is the "sidekick" than in The Hobbit where he is the lead actor.

That's true, and for me that was without a doubt the biggest disappointement of the movie.

December 18, 2013 11:11 am  #71

Be wrote:

Well, that is because Sherlock does not stick so close to the canon as The Hobbit does.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 18, 2013 11:14 am  #72

Mary Me wrote:

Be wrote:

Well, that is because Sherlock does not stick so close to the canon as The Hobbit does.

?

December 18, 2013 12:13 pm  #73

The character of John Watson in Sherlock is not quite the character from the canon. The makers of the show are free to adapt certain characteristics or lines or simply leave out some parts. They also have more liberties in terms of creating the plot.
The Hobbit sticks closely to the canon and the film has even more aspects to focus on. The whole plot is forced because the canon demands it. It was necessary for the sake of the film to explain some parts that were simply left out in the book (e.g. why Gandalf leaves). Bilbo was given enough screentime in my opinion but the whole film couldn't completely focus on him because it is important for the development of the story. The whole story of Middle Earth isn't nearly as strongly based on the characters as the tv show Sherlock is. This is why you can't compare the character moments Martin has in Sherlock to the ones he has in The Hobbit in my opinion. All the character moments Bilbo has in the book are also in the movies.

Last edited by Mary Me (December 18, 2013 12:15 pm)

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 18, 2013 12:33 pm  #74

SolarSystem wrote:

Be wrote:

That's true, and for me that was without a doubt the biggest disappointement of the movie.

I absolutely agree with you, or Be or Miriel - I was also disappointed. The first part of the Hobbit stood in the shadow of LoTR for me, but was okay though, and I expected the second part to be better. Because everybody said so in the reviews e.g. But unfortunately: too many orks, way too much action with nearly no relief in between - one hour less fighting wouldn´t have damaged the film. I don´t mind Tauriel - she at least embodied one of the few real characters in the whole masses of creatures. It was such a relief to come to Laketown with its quieter moments and fun (Stephen Fry), and I also enjoyed the beginning part with Smaug - finally a longer talk and some humour in the end. But after maybe 7 short minutes the battle started again - boring .
Hopefully the third part is going to be better again, but I can say now already that for me the whole project can´t have the same quality like LoTR.

December 18, 2013 3:00 pm  #75

Third viewing for me tomorrow ^^

I've done 3D+HFR, and I did 2D as well. Might do just 3D this time. 

December 18, 2013 7:42 pm  #76

Back from watching the original version with gently69 in Cologne 
I greatly enjoyed it, it was real fun. And the OV was worth watching because of Benedict's voice 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 18, 2013 7:56 pm  #77

That's one badass dragon ^^

December 18, 2013 8:04 pm  #78

Yeah... I think the same. Just wished that Benedict's voice would have been a little bit more... itself.  But... what could I expect... he's a dragon. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 18, 2013 8:33 pm  #79

But damn, that cliffhanger...poor Kili and Fili 

December 22, 2013 7:11 pm  #80

Just my short opinion after coming from the cinema (German version): too much slaughtering, a thin story, wonderful actors that cannot show their talents, not enough Martin (for a leading actor), the slapstick fighting was totally overdone IMO. 
The sets were often breathtaking, wonderfully done. But for me that is not enough. Of course it would be great to hear Benedict's voice but that alone cannot save the film for me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera