BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2013 10:31 am  #41

Re: Desolation of Smaug review - SPOILER ALERT

miriel68 wrote:

I am probably the only person here who didn't like the movie. In fact, I found it even worse that the first one, which at least retained SOME of Tolkien atmosphere. I liked some scenes (spiders, Thranduil - Thorin confrontation) and the whole Dragon - Bilbo scene (then, sadly, Dragon began to chase the dwarves relentlessly without killing a single one of them, transforming himself from menacing into stupid), but the movie as a whole, I found it just boring. I don't mind Jackson "betraying" the spirit of original book, it is his creative licence, but the whole thing felt like a pale LOTR rip-off to me: I was catching myself thinking: yes, we saw it there... yes, it is almost identical as... only in LOTR the same things had a much deeper emotional impact. There are far too many orcs and too many action sequences in it, IMO, and not enough space for characters: Martin Freeman, for example, had been almost pushed to background and he has very few chances to show his development as a character. Thorin has been reduced to a gloomy I-want-to-reclaim-my-kingdom-and-I-am-very-serious-about-it figure. All the actors are good (may be with the exception of Orlando Bloom, but this is not a surprise), but they aren't given enough material to shine. It is no surprise, therefore, that the Dragon comes as the most nuanced personality in the whole film

You are right. But I still think that it is worth watching because some scenes are impressive and inventive. I just try to focus on the good parts and "delete" the others.

December 17, 2013 11:25 am  #42

I loved it.

In a way I benefit from having (deep dark secret) not read the book.  I can enjoy the movies without any specific expectations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2013 11:49 am  #43

miriel68 wrote:

I am probably the only person here who didn't like the movie. In fact, I found it even worse that the first one, which at least retained SOME of Tolkien atmosphere. I liked some scenes (spiders, Thranduil - Thorin confrontation) and the whole Dragon - Bilbo scene (then, sadly, Dragon began to chase the dwarves relentlessly without killing a single one of them, transforming himself from menacing into stupid), but the movie as a whole, I found it just boring. I don't mind Jackson "betraying" the spirit of original book, it is his creative licence, but the whole thing felt like a pale LOTR rip-off to me: I was catching myself thinking: yes, we saw it there... yes, it is almost identical as... only in LOTR the same things had a much deeper emotional impact. There are far too many orcs and too many action sequences in it, IMO, and not enough space for characters: Martin Freeman, for example, had been almost pushed to background and he has very few chances to show his development as a character. Thorin has been reduced to a gloomy I-want-to-reclaim-my-kingdom-and-I-am-very-serious-about-it figure. All the actors are good (may be with the exception of Orlando Bloom, but this is not a surprise), but they aren't given enough material to shine. It is no surprise, therefore, that the Dragon comes as the most nuanced personality in the whole film

I'm going to see it today and I actually fear that afterwards I will have to agree with you. I had my problems with Part 1 (just like Harriet), where I already thought more than once 'okay, been there, done that in LOtR'. And chances are... it won't get any better in Part 2.
And I freely admit: if it weren't for Martin and Benedict, I probably wouldn't go and see Part 2 at all.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 17, 2013 2:39 pm  #44

Well, I can tell you that plenty of people loved it. It's selling very well in the UK and I'm planning my third trip ^^

Getting sick of people bashing it, to be honest. If they don't like it, fine. But some are being really nasty on Facebook  I've watched every behind the scenes thing I could find; they put a hell of a lot of work into these movies and this is the thanks they get.

Last edited by kittykat (December 17, 2013 2:43 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 17, 2013 2:50 pm  #45

I would like to see the original in a cinema; just to hear the two voices of you know who.
And get to know the dwarves a bit better.

Last edited by Be (December 17, 2013 2:51 pm)

December 17, 2013 2:54 pm  #46

It's definitely worth seeing and I love it. Can't understand the haters at all...

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 17, 2013 3:03 pm  #47

Why would anyone hate it? It's a movie to have fun with. I don't take it too seriously. It can be a matter of  fan's obsessive expectations. Always dangerous to get too involved. Be aware of the sentiment, Sherlock would probably say.

December 17, 2013 3:11 pm  #48

^Yes, you two are so right. I think it is a movie that is easy to enjoy if you really want to enjoy it. But if you keep looking for flaws you will also find flaws. That's the deal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 17, 2013 3:11 pm  #49

Tolkien purists hate it because of Tauriel, who I actually like. I don't even mind the love story; I think it's rather sweet and Aidan plays it so well ^^ And some just hate it because they hated the first one, even if they haven't seen this one *shakes head*

I watch a movie because I want to be entertained. If I want Tolkien's vision, I've got the book. Peter Jackson makes these films for escapism. I think we can all appreciate that these days.

December 17, 2013 3:13 pm  #50

Mary Me wrote:

^Yes, you two are so right. I think it is a movie that is easy to enjoy if you really want to enjoy it. But if you keep looking for flaws you will also find flaws. That's the deal.

Exactly! I've seen people on FB say, "I expected to hate this and I was right." What the hell? I expected to enjoy it, and I did. The departure scene in Laketown with Thorin, Fili and Kili made me really happy because I just love them interacting ^^

December 17, 2013 3:20 pm  #51

This is from the sneak peek that was done back in March. Obviously didn't make it into the final movie, will probably be in the extended cut, though 

http://royal-nephews.tumblr.com/post/46196454470/peptomilkshake-anonymous

December 17, 2013 3:23 pm  #52

Be wrote:

It would be interesting to know what Mr Jackson thought about the way he could possibly portray 13 dwaves when he started with the script.

The scene I like the most is the one where Bombur had a funny fighting sequence flying around and twisting in barrel. IMO that's how the audience can remember him and identify him. Because he did something special. Before he was just unique because of his appearance, but now he surprises and is a bit of a funny warrior.

Actually, he has talked about it- he said that he didn't want to do the Hobbit for precisely that reason.  He didn't know how he was going to handle 13 Dwarves and make it work.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 17, 2013 5:57 pm  #53

Are you referring to my post, kitty? Then please read it more carefully.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 17, 2013 5:59 pm  #54

No, I was talking about people on Facebook...

But it doesn't matter. There are plenty of us who love both films and are eagerly awaiting the third ^^

Last edited by kittykat (December 17, 2013 6:01 pm)

December 17, 2013 6:08 pm  #55

December 17, 2013 6:09 pm  #56

Harriet wrote:

Are you referring to my post, kitty? Then please read it more carefully.

You seem concerned about seeing it based on your perceptions of the first film, yes?

You really don't need to be; it's a great film 

December 17, 2013 6:28 pm  #57

It's alright, kitty, I know you enjoy the film very much 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 17, 2013 6:36 pm  #58

I really do, that's why I can't understand the negativity  There are some vicious comments on facebook...

December 17, 2013 7:14 pm  #59

Well, it's all a matter of taste in the end, isn't it? A lot of people like the film, others don't quite like it all that much, what's the problem? It seems to me, kitty, as if you're taking it almost personally when someone says that he/she didn't like the movie. It's great that you like it and that you are willing to spend money on a ticket for the third time. There are movies out there where I did the same (STID, for example), but I wouldn't go and see this one a second time.

I had a good time this afternoon watching it, but there still were things in it where I thought 'okay, alright, let's move on'. Too much of Orks, not enough Hobbit in The Hobbit for my personal taste.
I don't know the book, but the movie really makes me wonder why it's called "The Hobbit". I would have loved to see much more of him, not just because of Martin, but because everyone was going on about Bilbo's development and that he is more courageous now. And yes, I suppose he is more courageous now, but still... he didn't really have a chance to speak too many lines, did he? When he finally encounters Smaug I really had to laugh at one point, because Smaug rambles on and on and on - and I suppose it's only natural, after all he really didn't get a chance to chat with someone for a very long time, right?  And when Bilbo answers him, the stuff he says is pretty funny.
But still, it's just not enough Bilbo for me. The Orks were getting on my nerves, and I'm not sure yet what to make of Tauriel. Introduce a female Elb, fine.Yes, she knows how to fight. But of course she's also there as a love interest... is that really necessary...?

So, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. It's a decent movie, that's for sure. But I'd say it lies in the nature of things that not everyone will like it - and please, nobody is obliged to like it, right?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 17, 2013 7:31 pm  #60

Well...I'll stick with the fans who did love it...there's enough for me 

Board footera