BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2013 11:50 pm  #21

Re: Desolation of Smaug review - SPOILER ALERT

What did you think of Fili, the protective big brother? ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 16, 2013 2:02 am  #22

kittykat wrote:

What did you think of Fili, the protective big brother? ^^

I really liked that they fleshed out certain characters so that they become more, dare I say 'human', and not quite so cartoonish.  Yes, lovely that Fili stayed with his brother in fidelity and loyalty; and I for one, enjoyed the budding love interest between Kili and Tauriel.  They are both very nice to look at that's for sure.      I hope this little side story continues to develop in the next installment. But I feel it will end in heartbreak for one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 16, 2013 2:18 am  #23

I hear rumours Kili will die defending Tauriel...I'll throw a fit if it's true.

It should be Thorin, and he should be side-by-side with Fili!

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 16, 2013 3:20 am  #24

Being a life long Star Trek fan, I liked the Kili, Tauriel thing.  Inter hunanoid species romance is awesome!!)  Martin is absolute perfection as Bilbo.  Peter Jackson deserves Props for rearranging the shooting schedule so he could have the right actor portraying such a beloved character as Bilbo (once a film is finished, it is finished forever, and this is likely the last time we'll see a cimematic Middle Earth so they may as well get it right.) And the fact that Martin cared enough to actually read the book, shows how dedicated he is as an actor.
As someone who as often been frustrated at seeing my favorite books, get butchered when adapted to screen, I'm glad they made this into 3 films and are showing more of the characters other than Bilbo.  There always have been other things going on.  If LotR had been told exclusively from Frodo's Point of view, it would have been as short as the Hobbit.
I loved Smaug.  I was afraid he would be crap based on the trailer, but they certainly didn't show us the finished product in the trailer.  The finished product was pure awesomeness.   Benedict is perfection in here.
The only thing I would personally prune in this film is the Orcs.  I felt they were too much in the LotR trilogy as well.  With Beorn's house, I preferred the meeting in the book were Gandalf gradually broke the news of just how many dwarves were going to be guests in his home.  We got to see more of Beorn's personality that way.  They way it was done in the film with them running from the Orcs almost made it feel like a shoe-horned scene.
Though I'm glad that the Dwarves did more than sit around in the Lonely Mountain.  That was a good change from what was in the book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

December 16, 2013 10:02 am  #25

I watched it right away on Thursday and needed some time to think about it.
The way the plot is presented is a lot better than in the first episode. Sometimes it is just better to tell less than more.
I think that can especially be said about the dwarves and their personality and background story. I always got the impression right away in the first episode that Mr Jackson wanted desperately to give each dwarf a face and story to make him identifiably and destinguishable. Tolkien didn't do that. Tolkien just gave them names and almost no special story for themselves. For a purpose. Jackson should not have tried to do better there. It's called The Hobbit and not The Dwarves and a Hobbit.
Although I understand the need to appease the actors and meet the requirements of story telling and proper characterisation 13 (thirteen) dwarves are too many to cope with. Why not distinguish them because of something related to the original story other than invent something new for each one? In my imagination when reading the book they looked almost identically like ants under the ground. Like soldiers in identical uniforms interested in building their kingdom and digging for diamonds and gold.

I didn't feel the need to have the Fili/Tauriel story. It is possibly done because audiences want or writers think they want a love story and a strong female elf is nice to look at.

I like the way the spider scene is done. Impressive to see in 3D. When Bilbo looks at his hands after the fight we get to see Mr Freeman's acting abilities. I am glad that we got some more character scenes with him. It is worth to see the movie just because of this scene. And of course Bilbo and the drangon is worth watching.
I am looking forward to buy the DVD because I want to hear the original voices.

I also like how the necromancer is presented. Something between a person and a spirit. The visualisation is great. 

I am sure you know that Thorin in the original story is supposed to be corrupted by his greed. I am not sure if Mr Jackson will do that. This character trait is still missing or at least untill now not full implemented. That is an important purpose of the story when you read it to children, IMO.
I think some hints in this direction should already be there by now. But maybe Mr Jackson ressurrects his father and gives the baddie part to him, just to save his hero Thorin.
On the other hand there is enough time in the last episode.

Last edited by Be (December 16, 2013 1:22 pm)

December 16, 2013 1:12 pm  #26

Going to see it straight after work today!  *bouncy bouncy*

Dragons and Dwarfs and Hobbiteses!  Oh my!

Last edited by tonnaree (December 16, 2013 1:12 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 16, 2013 1:20 pm  #27

If everything works I will watch the original version together with Mary Me on Wednesday. Then I can compare it with the dubbed version... we will see... (any doubt which is going to be the better one???)
Going to write my opinon then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 16, 2013 1:55 pm  #28

Be wrote:

I watched it right away on Thursday and needed some time to think about it.
The way the plot is presented is a lot better than in the first episode. Sometimes it is just better to tell less than more.
I think that can especially be said about the dwarves and their personality and background story. I always got the impression right away in the first episode that Mr Jackson wanted desperately to give each dwarf a face and story to make him identifiably and destinguishable. Tolkien didn't do that. Tolkien just gave them names and almost no special story for themselves. For a purpose. Jackson should not have tried to do better there. It's called The Hobbit and not The Dwarves and a Hobbit.
Although I understand the need to appease the actors and meet the requirements of story telling and proper characterisation 13 (thirteen) dwarves are too many to cope with. Why not distinguish them because of something related to the original story other than invent something new for each one? In my imagination when reading the book they looked almost identically like ants under the ground. Like soldiers in identical uniforms interested in building their kingdom and digging for diamonds and gold.

I didn't feel the need to have the Fili/Tauriel story. It is possibly done because audiences want or writers think they want a love story and a strong female elf is nice to look at.

I like the way the spider scene is done. Impressive to see in 3D. When Bilbo looks at his hands after the fight we get to see Mr Freeman's acting abilities. I am glad that we got some more character scenes with him. It is worth to see the movie just because of this scene. And of course Bilbo and the drangon is worth watching.
I am looking forward to buy the DVD because I want to hear the original voices.

I also like how the necromancer is presented. Something between a person and a spirit. The visualisation is great. 

I am sure you know that Thorin in the original story is supposed to be corrupted by his greed. I am not sure if Mr Jackson will do that. This character trait is still missing or at least untill now not full implemented. That is an important purpose of the story when you read it to children, IMO.
I think some hints in this direction should already be there by now. But maybe Mr Jackson ressurrects his father and gives the baddie part to him, just to save his hero Thorin.
On the other hand there is enough time in the last episode.

Just two thoughts:

1. He gave them all personalities because otherwise, they are just crowding the screen without any purpose.  Having a group of 14 protagonists without distingushing 11 of them would have be a disaster.  Tolkien could get away with it because he was writing a kid's book, but PJ is making a movie where we are supposed to care about the protagonists.  If we don't know them, we can't care.  Honestly, I thought Tolkien did a crappy job because he kills three of them off in the end and I didn't even blink an eye.  I'm supposed to care about that, and I didn't at all.  The movies will probably be different.

2. We already see the dragon sickness corrupting Thorin...his decisions are becoming more greedy and he's losing sight of everything but the Arkenstone.  He had to be persuaded to go in after Bilbo and then threatened him when Bilbo was trying to run away from the dragon.  PJ and Richard Armitage have already talked about how the dragon sickness will affect him, so I seriously doubt that he's not going to fall victim to it.  He may change elements around the story, but he wouldn't change something as important as that- it's the whole point of the story.

I for the most part agree with the rest of it, though ^^

Last edited by sj4iy (December 16, 2013 1:56 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 16, 2013 2:45 pm  #29

I always thought that it was rather the point. To have too many dwarves who look similar and can't easily be identified. That is the funny thing about it. You have to count them. Which Gandalf did. I think it is impossible to care for all of them at the beginning because they are 13.
I think the additional stories Mr Jackson added are well done, but they kind of distract from the important parts.
Why humanise everyone, even dwarves with an invented love story? I liked the romantic part in front of the cell with Tauriel because it was sweet. Maybe a bit too much for my liking, but anyway. I think I read somewhere that female dwarves had beards. Is that right? I'd like to see that. Everybody can relate to a romantic relationship with a beautiful elf like Tauriel. But a bearded dwarf?
That's just me thinking up-side down and odd.

December 16, 2013 3:16 pm  #30

The humanisation is canon though. And dwarfes are similiar to humans too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 16, 2013 3:22 pm  #31

Be wrote:

I always thought that it was rather the point. To have too many dwarves who look similar and can't easily be identified. That is the funny thing about it. You have to count them. Which Gandalf did. I think it is impossible to care for all of them at the beginning because they are 13.
I think the additional stories Mr Jackson added are well done, but they kind of distract from the important parts.
Why humanise everyone, even dwarves with an invented love story? I liked the romantic part in front of the cell with Tauriel because it was sweet. Maybe a bit too much for my liking, but anyway. I think I read somewhere that female dwarves had beards. Is that right? I'd like to see that. Everybody can relate to a romantic relationship with a beautiful elf like Tauriel. But a bearded dwarf?
That's just me thinking up-side down and odd.

Tolkien's original dwarves were rather racist, tbh.  Representative of the stereotypical characteristics of Jewish people.  That's why they HAVE to humanize the dwarves...othewise, you have racist stereotypes that all look and act the same.

Last edited by sj4iy (December 16, 2013 3:26 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

December 16, 2013 3:43 pm  #32

Aren't the dwarves and the elves both portrayed as peoples with racial prejudice against each other in the original story?
I think I writer can make a person unique even without the need to have a whole plotline for every character. That would be nice. To have them look alike and be unique.

December 16, 2013 4:10 pm  #33

Be wrote:

Aren't the dwarves and the elves both portrayed as peoples with racial prejudice against each other in the original story?
I think I writer can make a person unique even without the need to have a whole plotline for every character. That would be nice. To have them look alike and be unique.

Yes, they have racial prejudice against each other...but I was saying that Tolkien wrote the dwarves as a racial stereotype of Jewish people.  The long beards, short stature, money-coveting and cowardice were stereotypes of Jewish people (which sadly still persist today in some areas).  PJ couldn't possibly have made them like the book, or not given them personalities, without stirring up a race debate. 

December 16, 2013 4:43 pm  #34

Went for a second viewing today. The more I see, the more I like ^^

December 16, 2013 5:48 pm  #35

sj4iy wrote:

Be wrote:

Yes, they have racial prejudice against each other...but I was saying that Tolkien wrote the dwarves as a racial stereotype of Jewish people.  The long beards, short stature, money-coveting and cowardice were stereotypes of Jewish people (which sadly still persist today in some areas).  PJ couldn't possibly have made them like the book, or not given them personalities, without stirring up a race debate. 

I didn't know that. It's silly to write against racism and prejudice and use racial stereotypes himself. Vicious circle. I always saw just dwarves without any second thoughts. It was a book written for children. In the year 2013 nobody should get this kind of connotation. I still think a writer must be free to invent a fantasy with bearded aliens without having to think about what is politically correct.
Sally Donovan is a difficult character and she is a woman of colour. Anderson isn't. Do you think we should always be aware of these problems?
I don't care if Moriarty is in fact German or if the villian is German again in a movie or has a German accent. I am used to it.

Last edited by Be (December 16, 2013 5:54 pm)

December 16, 2013 5:57 pm  #36

kingandhisnephews.tumblr.com/post/70196840886

one of my favourite scenes ^^

December 16, 2013 6:25 pm  #37

Be wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Be wrote:

I didn't know that. It's silly to write against racism and prejudice and use racial stereotypes himself. Vicious circle. I always saw just dwarves without any second thoughts. It was a book written for children. In the year 2013 nobody should get this kind of connotation. I still think a writer must be free to invent a fantasy with bearded aliens without having to think about what is politically correct.
Sally Donovan is a difficult character and she is a woman of colour. Anderson isn't. Do you think we should always be aware of these problems?
I don't care if Moriarty is in fact German or if the villian is German again in a movie or has a German accent. I am used to it.

Well, there's a difference between reading racism into something when it's not there and calling out blatant racism.  It's similar to how Native Americans are portrayed in "Peter Pan".  Yes, it was the way it was back in the day, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable today.  If they made a movie about Peter Pan today, they definitely would leave that out or change it.  That's why I didn't mind the changes made to the Dwarves and the attempts to give them personalities beyond cowardly misers.

This was what Tolkien himself said almost 30 years after writing the Hobbit:

“I didn’t intend it, but when you’ve got these people on your hands, you’ve got to make them different, haven’t you?” said Tolkien during the 1971 interview. “The dwarves of course are quite obviously, wouldn’t you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic, obviously, constructed to be Semitic. The hobbits are just rustic English people."

I would never, NEVER advocate censorship of any books.  At all.  I don't care if it's Mein Kampf, I will defend the right to write a book and the right to read it, because censorsing anyone's ideas is worse than letting them write it, IMO (obviously, this wouldn't include anything illegal).  I don't have to agree with the book or agree with its writer to accept that people have the right to read it.  And I would never argue for censorship or political correctness.  But that doesn't mean I can't call someone out on racism when I see it.

Last edited by sj4iy (December 16, 2013 6:30 pm)

December 17, 2013 9:29 am  #38

It would be interesting to know what Mr Jackson thought about the way he could possibly portray 13 dwaves when he started with the script.

The scene I like the most is the one where Bombur had a funny fighting sequence flying around and twisting in barrel. IMO that's how the audience can remember him and identify him. Because he did something special. Before he was just unique because of his appearance, but now he surprises and is a bit of a funny warrior.

December 17, 2013 9:53 am  #39

I am probably the only person here who didn't like the movie. In fact, I found it even worse that the first one, which at least retained SOME of Tolkien atmosphere. I liked some scenes (spiders, Thranduil - Thorin confrontation) and the whole Dragon - Bilbo scene (then, sadly, Dragon began to chase the dwarves relentlessly without killing a single one of them, transforming himself from menacing into stupid), but the movie as a whole, I found it just boring. I don't mind Jackson "betraying" the spirit of original book, it is his creative licence, but the whole thing felt like a pale LOTR rip-off to me: I was catching myself thinking: yes, we saw it there... yes, it is almost identical as... only in LOTR the same things had a much deeper emotional impact. There are far too many orcs and too many action sequences in it, IMO, and not enough space for characters: Martin Freeman, for example, had been almost pushed to background and he has very few chances to show his development as a character. Thorin has been reduced to a gloomy I-want-to-reclaim-my-kingdom-and-I-am-very-serious-about-it figure. All the actors are good (may be with the exception of Orlando Bloom, but this is not a surprise), but they aren't given enough material to shine. It is no surprise, therefore, that the Dragon comes as the most nuanced personality in the whole film

December 17, 2013 10:13 am  #40

Miriel, that is why I don't even intend to watch the movie.

Most of the things you are describing now bothered me in part 1 already.

In spite of quite a few nice ideas (Hobbit 1 wasn't all bad!), I just don't need to see more of the same 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera