BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2013 7:17 pm  #21

Re: Benedict on Jimmy Kimmel Live

It's true, a leading role in a lighthearted romantic comedy is still missing in his portfolio as an actor - so is a role as a classic leading man in a serious love story ("Parade's End" certainly goes into the right direction, but in my opinion it's not quite it).
But I think that his 'performance' on Jimmy Kimmel showed even more clearly his comedy talent! Yes, he looked sexy and hot, his voice was - as always - sexy and hot... but the way in which he delivered those lyrics was pure comedy, in my opinion. I couldn't stop laughing, it was so hilarious...!

So I say: give that man a role as a romantic leading man, comedy or not, and also give that man a role in a clever, intelligent comedy. I think he has perfect comedy timing!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 7, 2013 7:29 pm  #22

tonnaree wrote:

Marva wrote:

Read this but be prepared - I just stopped breathing!

http://khanyoujohnlockndropit.tumblr.com/post/69055661927/john-you-were-dead-sherlock-sherlock-your

I just almost choked on my coffee.

Oh god!  Hahaha, I lost it when I read that!!! 

-------------------------------------------------------

December 7, 2013 9:09 pm  #23

Loved "Parade's End" but Tietjens could hardly be more damaged.  Even though he gets the happy ending, hovering around in the back of one's mind is the fact that there was a fourth book, coming in like the bad fairy (as does the wife) to muddle everything for everyone.   And around here somewhere I saw a .gif of the last bedroom scene.  I thought this was true, but it really shows up in the .gif.  Tietjens/BC comes hovering in with the lips-turned-down distaste that marks most of his facial expressions in all 5 episodes and, when kissing Valentine/Adelaide, he squints in a manner that expresses more pain than joy.  Just once--just once--I'd like to see him, on-screen or off-, hold a woman with what looks like real, grown-up, undamaged passion.  Personally, he must be afraid of PDAs.   Except not with Zach Quinto at the 2012 Vanity Fair party.  Now that's the kind of soulful gaze and intense clutch I'd like to see him in with a woman.
    My original comment asked if the kind of response his R Kelly read, whether funny or hot, is getting is indeed phenomenal.  And, if so, might it lead to producers/directors thinking we've got to get this guy into something--even a period piece like Grant's "Sense and Sensibility"--where, even when he's off-screen, he is the object of desire for the women on screen?  They don't seem to be thinking that way yet.  And from what I understand, though he clearly has offers to reject (del Toro's, for instance), he's not getting romantic lead offers (or even romantic second-to-lead).  Contrast that with Pattinson's career.  He has to search for roles that aren't the romantic lead--though he is, so far, only about half the talent that BC is.  Were they thinking to bring him in to "Z" to boost the crossover appeal to women that BC hasn't shown he can handle?

Last edited by OOthoon13 (December 7, 2013 9:22 pm)

December 7, 2013 9:18 pm  #24

Personally I do not really mind seeing him not as a romantic lead. The variety of roles he has played is so great that I do not miss this. And for me it is a phenomenon how he manages to be so attractive to women although he never plays the classic romantic lead. Maybe it has something to do with other qualities like intelligence, empathy and an enormous presence even in supporting roles. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 7, 2013 9:32 pm  #25

OOthoon13 wrote:

Contrast that with Pattinson's career.  He has to search for roles that aren't the romantic lead--though he is, so far, only about half the talent that BC is.

Okay, I just have to ask: since when does talent have anything to do with being cast as romantic lead? I tend to doubt that Pattinson gets those roles because of his talent (about which I can't say anything, I only know one or two of his movies), but because he shot to stardom due to his role in the Twilight-movies - and probably because producers believe that he is perfect as a romantic lead in movies right now.
I also tend to believe that at least some producers/directors would offer Benedict such a role if they thought him to be the perfect choice for it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 7, 2013 11:47 pm  #26

That's exactly my point, though.  Production honchos only know what they see.  Pattinson did a good job romancing the girl and making the female audience swoon 5 times.  Now those are the roles they offer him first, whether or not he's the best actor for the part.  Hence the awkward "Water for Elephants" (though to give him credit, there was no chemistry between him and Reese Witherspoon.  She was miscast, also looking to play something different from the sweetheart type.  It was originally to be Scarlett Johanssen.  Might've been more fire there).  He took the odd and little-seen "Cosmopolis" to break that mold--as does his up-coming "The Rovers", I believe.  David Cronenberg wants him back for something else.  But until he makes a movie that's widely seen, well-regarded and that breaks the romantic mold, he's in danger of being typecast.  He's 10 years younger than BC, so he has room to grow.  Right now, he's about half the actor that BC is in terms of his ability to make most of the ticket-paying audience forget it's Pattinson and imagine him fully in the role.
     Meanwhile, BC gets the oddball roles--I suspect "The Imitation Game" may be a serious Oscar contender if it comes out as well as everyone says the script is.  But it will move BC several more squares away from being thought of as a potential romantic lead, no matter how much talent he might manifest in such a role.  I was hoping--continue to hope--that what I think is a phenomenal response to the R Kelly read might make the production honchos see him very soon in a different light: the guy who gets (turns on) the girl.
    And the reason that 'romantic lead' is an important addition to your CV if you're an actor is that many of the 'big pictures' that we remember are, to some extent, romantic.  Take "Gone With the Wind" or the recent live telecast "The Sound of Music".  If you don't, as a male actor, get the romantic lead roles--if you're always quirky--you'll become a character actor.  Nothing wrong with that--look at BC's hero, Gary Oldman.  From what BC says himself, he wants to be bigger than that. 
     Before "ER", George Clooney was just a handsome but goofy TV second-banana.  Look how important he is now.  In "ER", at about BC's current age, Clooney became the 'romantic lead'.  He left that show to parley his new-found 'it-boy' status into movie star, producer, director.  He's huge--and it all came from being perceived as someone who could get women into the seats at a movie.  Thus, romantic lead.  And I'll bet he'd be the first to tell you he's not a substantially better actor than he was when he was a goofy second-banana.
    Tom Hanks has a similar story but earlier in his career.  He was a sweet TV goofball in a slapstick cross-dressing comedy until Penny Marshall cast him in "Big".  Not truly a romantic lead because he was only supposed to be 10 or 11, he did nonetheless save the company, get the girl and charm the hearts out of women in the audience.  He followed that with "Splash" which really was a romcom.  I think he might be bigger than even Clooney because of his two back-to-back Oscars for--absolutely--'quirky' characters: Forrest Gump and a gay lawyer dying of AIDS in "Philadelphia".  (And that's probably the best order to do it in--romantic lead then quirky--to establish yourself as more than a character actor, so BC has more of an uphill fight.) That, and Hanks' close friendship with Stephen Spielberg, and he can call all his own shots.
    So the very talented BC needs a romantic lead and the (let's give him) growing Rob Pattinson needs quirky.  And they meet at "The Lost City of Z".

December 8, 2013 10:07 am  #27

I can only repeat myself - where I am concerned he does not have to play romantic leads. There is nothing wrong with being a character actor. If he wants to become a big Hollywood hero his agency and he himself will know how to go about this. If not (which I would be quite happy with) everything is fine as it is. I am quite sure that he will always choose a challenge over a surefire romantic hit comedy. If I wanted romantic I could become a Pattinson fan. But why should I if I can have Sherlock, Hawking, Turing, the Creature or a dragon? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 8, 2013 10:55 am  #28

I agree that it is no bad thing not being cast in the romantic lead. The danger of type-casting (plenty of examples around) is that you never get scripts for other types of roles. Then you end up being Hugh Grant. It is far better to be able to have the choice of a wide range of roles and to be honest the damaged characters are often the most interesting. A trip back onto the boards might well be in order some time soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 8, 2013 1:58 pm  #29

I think the reason I would love so much for Benedict to do a romantic comedy is because so many of them are pure rubish. As hopelessl romantic as I am people are surprised to find that I hate most of them.

I know that if Ben chose to do one it would have to be a fabulous script and character.  So, selfish reasons.  

But if he never does one it will in no way diminish my love for him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera